Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Kings Wharf, Bermuda -bus? walk? Guidance, please.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! We will be on the Norwegian Dawn, Kings Wharf. We would like to know if we can walk or take easy public transportation to Front Street, Hamilton, and Historic St. George on another day. Are there tourist transportation booklets available? Is it wise to purchase them? How far away is the RR Trail from our ship? We would love to rent bikes. Where would you suggest we get them? THANK YOU VERY, VERY MUCH! SG
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 08:59 AM

In case you don't see my response to your other post:
1. You cannot walk to either town.
2. Public transportation is very easy from your dock to both towns. You can buy a pass at the dock which entitles you to use the ferry or buses. Public transportation is reliable, easy and cheap!
3. The mopeds are great fun but can be very dangerous. Every year visitors are killed or seriously injured. There is a rental shop at Kings Wharf operated by Oleander Cycles, a long time concessionaire. Here are a couple of rules I use when riding:
a. Go the speed limit
b. Don't look back over your shoulder
c. Practice till you feel secure
d. Don't drive if you are drinking
e. Don't use Middle Road or go into Hamilton during the rush hours
f. Don't ride in the rain or after dark.
g. Remember they drive on the opposite side of the road from USA residents.

4.www.bermudarailway.net has a map of the Railway Trail. I always enjoy walking it and one of the nicest sections will be a very short ride away from the Dockyard in Somerset. Great way to see Bermuda!

Have a wonderful trip. I hope it is the first of many.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 10:48 AM

Ditto everything cmcfong said, with one addition. She's assuming by 'bike' you mean motorized scooter, because that's what we call 'bikes' here. If you really mean a pedal bike for touring the railway trail, yes, there are places to rent them and I think there are even guided tours. (I wouldn't ride a pedal bike on the main roads here.) If that's what you meant, let us know - I'll try to find rental location info.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 11:58 AM

You are exactly right, txgirlinbda. I did make that assumption. If you are talking about bicycles, they would be great fun on the railroad trail. But I agree with txgirlinbda, no way I would ride on the roads!
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

What a big help! Thank you! Motorized bikes were for when we were "kids," and traffic was more kind. I was referring to plain, ordinary pedal bikes. We would very much like to learn where we can conveniently rent them for the Railway Trail. ( away from the Dockyard in Somerset) Also, is it your experience that early May is beach weather, or is that too soon? If it is possible, where would you suggest we go for a few hours? Sure hope I can provide NYC info for you one day! SG
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 02:41 PM

I know you can get pedal bikes through Nine Beaches Resort, near Somerset, and their website says they can arrange guided tours as well. They are the closest to Dockyard (Kings Wharf) that I can think of off the top of my head - I will keep looking.
May will be gorgeous for strolls and relaxing on the beach. Whether the water is warm enough to swim is largely a matter of personal preference. I have already seen kids in the water this year. My favorite suggestion for the beach is to take the bus from Dockyard (#7) and get off at Warwick Long Bay or Jobson's Cove, then backtrack along the beach and parks towards Horseshoe Bay (which is where you will find 98% of the rest of your fellow cruise ship passengers).
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 04:17 PM

I understand that smatts is renting pedal cycles (this month's issue of National Geographic Traveler features a short article on cruising to Bermuda). www.smattscyclelivery.com

Good decision to stay off the motorized cycles, they can be very dangerous.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Do public beaches have changing rooms?

All our reading tells us that there are NO bargains to be had in Bermuda - just gorgeous, well made, fine, quality items. Any chance you would dispute that and share a special place to shop for good values, perhaps discontinued goods etc.?
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 06:46 AM

Horseshoe Bay and Snorkel Park are the only beaches with facilites. The rest of the public beaches have primitive toilets, but that's it. Remember the bus drivers won't let you on if you're in wet clothes either.

If shops are having sales, you can get some good deals. Otherwise, I haven't found a bargain yet!!
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 06:56 AM

Boy, was I hoping txgirlinbda knew about a bargain. Heaven knows I have looked. I used to buy crystal and china at Blucks, gorgeous French tee shirts and swimwear at Cecile and beautiful British made sweaters at Smith's and Trims. But those days are long gone. If I buy anything in Bermuda it is local craft or something I just have to have.
One word of caution, if you see something you like at Crisson's for example, don't worry you will see it at another branch more cheaply. The prices are the same whether they are a downtown location or a the Dockyard. I often buy earrings and other jewelry at Crisson's. It is a lovely shop. If you want a watch, price it in the USA before you go to Bermuda. Sometimes even though there is no sales tax in BDA and there are discounts (usually 10-25%) the USA price may still be cheaper.
Don't let anything I said discourage you from looking. Even if they are great bargains, you may still find something very special to remind you of that very special place.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 06:57 AM

Sorry, I meant to say Even if they are not great bargains, you may still find something very special to remind you of that very special place.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 09:52 AM

LOL - I shop online, have it shipped to mom's and pick it up every time I fly home! But when Daisy and Mac or AS Cooper's have sales here - they have SALES. That's the only shopping I do here.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 06:27 AM

topping for GlasgowMum.