Bermuda Bike/Rail trail

Search

Bermuda Bike/Rail trail

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2010, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bermuda Bike/Rail trail

We leave for Bermuda next Sunday..........and have rec'd great advice about not renting bikes to ride around the island...........thus we will be using the bus service and ferry service. Can you tell me if the bike/rail trail that I see on the map is worth biking and/or walking? Where does it go? Thank you again. Also, on an aside, Can I buy ferry/bus passes at the airport?
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 03:46 AM

The Bermuda Railway Trail is great. I always spend part of each day walking there.
http://www.bermuda-online.org/railway.htm

You cannot buy a ferry/bus pass at the airport. You can buy them at the post office or the terminal. You may be able to get your guesthouse to pick them up for you before your arrival.

Have a wonderful time. I hope it is sunny and beautiful
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 03:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We did a group bike tour on the trail and it was very nice. I liked the fact that the guy pointed out things and told us a little bit about each area. They had all the equipment, bikes, helmets, etc..
Wish I was going to bermuda right now!
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both, so much! Can I get the bikes, helmets, etc. at the rail trail? where can I find out about the group bike tour you mentioned? Sounds great.

Also..........is there a good way to get a tour of the island without sitting on a bus with 50 other tourists? Something smaller where there is dialogue with driver?
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 04:11 AM

Absolutely the best way to see Bermuda for the first orientation will be a blue flag taxi. Carole will be able to set that up for you. As I recall Joe Brown is the taxi driver she uses and he is just great.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Is there anything you DON'T KNOW about Bermuda, cmcfong? You should write a guide! Thanks!
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 04:32 AM

Oh I love Bermuda and have been going there since the early seventies. I am sure you will get some great advice from txgirlinbda, girlonthego, and many other Bermuda visitors. I am just adding my two cents worth.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 04:39 AM

I have been going to Bermuda every summer for the last 5 years - this is the first I have heard of the Trail - we were looking for something different to do this July and that looks like fun but their website said May-Sept could be very hot and humid - any advice ? How long does it take ? I didn't see guided tours - are there any ?
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 04:55 AM

http://www.fantasea.bm/eco-adventure...at-bike-beach/

This is the company that we went through. I had originally looked them up for a snorkel tour. When I saw the bike tour, I thought what a great way for us and our teenagers to see a little more of the island. It was a fun bike trip and the kids definitely liked getting out on the bikes. It was mostly adults on the tour. There were a few other older teens from a cruise on with us. The tour was a morning tour I think. It didn't seem too long. We took the bus to the dockyard and then got in the van with the cruise ship people. We drove out to 9beaches where we met our guide and got our bikes. After, we had a drink and then hopped on a boat back to the dockyard. I think we had lunch that day there in the dockyard area before heading back to the Fairmont.
The guide was nice and informative.
Jersey sue, we went in late June. The weather of course is warm on the island, but we found it not too hot to bike at all. It is not a strenous bike, more leisurly.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 08:48 AM

Jersey Sue, you don't need a guide, the trail is well marked. Do it in sections. One day you might want to do the Somerset portion another you might prefer to be down around Shelly's Bay. It is just a wonderful way to see Bermuda. The temps and humidity are highest in July-Sept. Take a bottle of water and dress comfortably.

Where are you staying this summer? I think I remember you posting about being at Pompano. If so, you can walk down to the trail and use it to go to the drawbridge.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 08:56 AM

I want to be sure it doesn't appear that I am disputing girlonthego's use of a guide on the organized bike tour. I walk the trail and just go where I happen to feel like being on any given day. I typically will walk three or four miles at a time.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 09:14 AM

There's a map of the Railway Trail at the info centers and tourist offices - it's broken down in to sections, and well marked. We use it as a stroller path on nice days - no motorbikes allowed! My goal is to walk DD from one end of the island to the other this spring, by doing each section one day at a time!
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 10:14 AM

We used a tour because it was easier to have someone lead us and bring us to the bikes and the path. I don't think anyone can get really lost there. It is also fine for walking. You can definitely do it without the guide.