Beaches Royal Plantation

Jun 11th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Corey

Beaches Royal Plantation

Just returned from Beaches Royal Plantation and would like to recommend this place to anyone who will listen. The food, service, views, and anything else you can think of are second to none. The place was spotless and the rooms are beautiful and maid service was outstanding. If anyone goes in the near future say hi to the bartender Hensley for me. He's a great guy and will take care of you while your there. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Jun 11th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Anon

Hi Corey. Glad you had a nice time.

I have lots of questions. I will be staying there in July.

1 - Starting from the beg. of your trip...what airline did you take? How was it as far as time, etc?
How were you transported from the airport to the resort? Did you inform the resort ahead of time of your arrival time? Did you have to wait to be picked up?

2- What side of the resort did you stay in, east or west? What room category? Did you get upgraded?

3 - How is the east beach compared to the west beach?

4 - What types of entertainment did they have, and on what days?

5 - Did the resort have sailing, where someone from the resort took you out?

6 - Did you try the glass bottom boat?

Have lots of more questions but I will stop here.
Tell as much as you can. Please be detailed!

Thanks Corey.

Jun 11th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Corey

Here you go Anon,
Question 1---We flew on American Airlines out of Dallas. Once in Montego Bay we were wisked away to the express line (in front of 30-40 other Sandals/Beaches guests waiting in line)and were given the option of the free Jamaica Express flight which we took. That flight was about 20 minutes into Ocho Rios. We took the shuttle back to the airport when we left and didn't think it was a bad as what everyone says. Question2-----Our suite number was 161 (can't remember the category name, but we had the separate jucuzzi tub) on the second floor of the west wing. Our suite was on the very end near the water (by the chess board piere). The view was absolutely amazing! I didn't get an upgrade, but I didn't ask for one either. Question3----Both beaches are on the small side, but they are never crowded. The east beach has more shade and is further away from the beach bar. I did notice they were serving both sides of the beach though with the beach drink service. I was very impressed with the waitress working the beach area. We would barely stick our flag in the sand and she was there. Question 4----There isn't much for entertainment there. They had nightly music on the terrace which was very mellow and nice to listen to while eating. On Monday night I believe, they had a steel drum band and a guy doing various tricks. We did walk the beach over to Sandals Ocho Rios one night for some entertainment, but were always happy to get back BRP. Question 5-----Yes, they will take you sailing and they also give lessons daily so you can go out on your own. The watersports guys were great and very helpful with all questions we had. Question 6----We did not take a glass bottom boat ride, but we did do the snorkeling and had a great time. I'm sure there's better snorkeling in other parts of the world, but the water was clear as can be and we saw a variety of fish. It was just like swimming in a salt water fish tank.

The thing for me was the service. These people made sure we were always taken care of and they always did it with a smile. We never once had to wait to be seated to eat or wait for a drink. You will never feel crowded there and that is nice too. Keep the questions coming! I hope I'm doing ok answering them.

Jun 11th, 2002, 06:51 PM
Anon

Thanks Corey.

Approx how long did it take for you to get to the resort from the airport? Did taking the plane really save time?

Did the west wing have an elevator?

Did your room have double beds or king?

How was the food (Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner)?

Did you venture out to Dunns River Falls, shopping, etc?

Did you tip the maid, van driver, etc?

Just keep sharing as much as you can!

Thanks.

Jun 12th, 2002, 06:38 AM
Corey

Taking the plane didn't really save any time other then the fact its a little more comfortable then riding in the van. As far as the elevator question, there is a elevator in the west wing. We had a king size bed that was very comfortable with great down pillows. We did go to Dunn's River Falls and enjoyed ourselves. We were there when there wasn't a cruise ship in so it wasn't crowded at all. We never felt rushed to get up the falls. I've heard good and bad experiences about the falls on here and luckily ours was a good experience. As for tipping goes, we only tipped the drivers when we were there. We tried tipping a couple of times and they would not accept it. We felt the food was simply amazing. We did not have a bad meal and the service was quick and always served with a smile. Also, we had the times fax show up every morning. I've heard sometimes it shows up and sometimes it doesn't.

Jun 12th, 2002, 08:58 AM
tips

I just want to comment that tips are against the rules, but very much appreciated by the staff. We didn't tip everyone, but those who gave us exceptional service deserved it. We found the beach butlers to be excellent and noticing how hard they worked, we were happy to discreetly tip them.

Jun 16th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Tricia

Glad you had a great experience at BRP. We did not! Started from taking the plane to OR. The 727 was down because of mechanical problems so they tried to load us all in the turbo prop. I asked how much weight that plane could hold and only after that did they start taking luggage off! So we got off and got our own private shuttle to the resort which was nice. Husband had an injury back in March and had a boot and cane. We finally got to the resort at 3:45. Got in our room, took showers, ordered room service and fell asleep. Room service came, we ate and went back to sleep and didn't wake up until 6:30 am to find out that we had been robbed. Someone came into our rooms while we slept and took our wallets. So...use your safe! We were exhausted from traveling and our wedding and felt that we were safe from harm. We lost about $400, credit cards, photo ID, and my Palm Pilot. We spent quite some time dealing with the security officer, police and trying to cancel credit cards. No one really believed us saying "It's absolutely impossible for this to have happened". Well, we are both responsible people and for both of us to lose our wallets is crazy! Especially since we didn't leave the room at all! This is a story of epic proportions, but the hotel totally dropped the ball and didn't get us in touch with the U.S. Embassy. We didn't travel with passports, but with birth certificates and IDs. The detective actually got us in touch with the Embassy on Friday at 11. We were scheduled to leave with first class tickets on Monday. The Embassy closed at noon Friday and it was in MoBay. Plus, they were closed on Monday for Memorial Day, so we couldn't even leave the day we were supposed to! Had the situation been handled better, we would have been a lot happier. The manager did offer us a fruit plate for our troubles! Nice! After heavy bargaining, we did get a four day return visit to another resort of our choice.
The other problem was it rained the ENTIRE time we were there in May. Not an ounce of sun. I take that back...the only day it was sunny was the day we were working with the police. I think the rainy season is June through Septemeber, but we were stuck in a tropical depression and it sure was that!
The service is good and the food is excellent. The Sandals OR was certainly not what we expected. BRP was so many steps above all the other resorts! Hensley is a good time in the bar. Just use your safe, travel with several forms of photo ID and make sure that your patio doors are firmly locked! Ours weren't the only ones that were busted!

Jun 17th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Corey

Sorry to hear about your experience. It is kind of amazing to hear that happen there, but I guess it can happen anywhere.

Jun 21st, 2002, 02:17 PM
Anon

Tricia, I am confused about your post...
you started off by saying that you stayed at BRP (Beaches Royal Plantation) but then you say later on

"The Sandals OR was certainly not what we expected. BRP was so many steps above all the other resorts!"

I think you have the two resorts mixed up. Which one did you stay in?
Sandals Ochios Rios and Beaches Royal Plantation are two different resorts.

Jun 21st, 2002, 03:47 PM
Amy

After much research, we have chosen this resort for our honeymoon in November. I am glad to hear that you liked the resort. I can't wait to experience it myself.

Jun 24th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Tricia

Anon--We stayed at BRP, but after the hotel dropped the ball and didn't contact the US Embassy, we had to get transferred down to MoBay so we could get to the Embassy first thing Tuesday morning, a day after we were supposed to leave Jamaica. So, we compared three resorts.