beaches in domenica

Feb 16th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

beaches in domenica

we will be sailing carnival destiny and I would like to know if anyone has ever been to any beaches in domenica. My husband does not want to do trafalgar falls and the emerald pool because he thinks it's too dangerous for my 12 year old daughter. But I have 2 teenage sons who i'm sure would love to climb falls, so I'm trying to comprise to do both. Are there any good beaches in Domenica?
Feb 16th, 2005, 01:44 PM

I can tell you that when we went last summer it rained half of the time...but do not fret, I think it made the trip more beautiful. The downside is that considering that the island receives about more than 400in of rain annually, the rain is always pounding on the water. I would rate the clarity of Domenica's water very low. Our tourist guide said that it had to do with the constant rain pouncing on the sand and kicking it up (so it looked dirty) and the boats in the dock.

We went to Emerald Pool and its not that dangerous-there is a path to follow with guard rails. You can get others' opinion, but I think your children will be ok if you go slow. It's a nice place to see.

We got a private guide directly off of the ship (there are tons of them) The experience is more personal. Ours stopped on the side of the road to pick bay leaves, mango, lemon grass and to take pictures. Do not worry about tour availabilty-there will be plenty there. If you do not want to hike, atleast take a driving tour with a private guide and yes, more than likely so, it will rain, but I enjoyed it. Domenica is a unique island to explore, not to spend on the beach. Leave that for other islands on the cruise...I believe the last stop is Aruba, you'll have plenty beach time there
Feb 17th, 2005, 03:48 AM

meesa~my husband & I were on the Destiny late last July, it's a wonderful itinerery. Dominica is not the place to plan beach time however. We did both the Trafalgar Falls & Emerald Pool tours (about 5.5 hours) My biggest complaint is that we were very hurried. The hiking is not what I would consider dangerous at all, but it is more strenuous than walking, especially when pushed along by the guide. If I had it to do over I would only do one of the two. It also poured rain the day we were there & it's extremely humid. Dominica is very unique, very beautiful with extreme poverty. Will make you very grateful for what we have! People there were very friendly & so proud of their country, which is totally refreshing. It is pronounced Dom a neeka, accent on the last syllabol. I would love to discuss the other ports if you like. We had a wonderful time. Barbados & Aruba were by far our favorites. Have a fantastic trip!
Feb 17th, 2005, 05:13 PM

I only went to Emerald pools and I felt like I got a ton done at port so I can understand Havi when he says these tours tend to rush you. Consider the private tour. We took it and had an hour left in the end to go shopping at the huge market across from the boat. I honostly didnt miss trafalgar falls. Enjoy Domenica!
Feb 18th, 2005, 07:32 AM

Was in Domenica for a week this time last year.Loved it..Not a beach island..Falls are a great idea and the entire family would enjoy..wear a bathing suit under your clothes as the pools are great to swim in..In addition to emerald pool and trafalger,ask guide to include spanny falls 1&2...no tourist at spanny...enjoy