Barbados hotel?

Jan 26th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Barbados hotel?

My fiancee and I are going to Barbados March 8 -13, and are looking for an affordable ($100 - $160/ night) place to stay on or near a nice swimming beach (some waves are not a problem). Preferably, we'd also like a place that's accessible to restaurants and not too many hagglers.
Alas, the Coral Sands Resort sounds perfect but since we're traveling during high season, we can't afford the $310/night price tag.
Suggestions?
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:03 PM

Casuarina Beach Resort is a little higher than you'd ideally like to pay, but it has by far the best grounds and beach on the south coast. See www.casuarina.com
Jan 27th, 2005, 01:35 PM

Southern Palms Beach Resort. It's on a fab beach. Good food, very clean, we loved it! Right in the Gap. Walk to tons of restaurants.

Enjoy! Greenie
Jan 27th, 2005, 04:35 PM

Hi Kelyspo, check out www.peachandquiet.com. On the south coast and a beautiful location. Do a search here and you will find lots of info. and further comments. Very affordable, I think it's one of the best deals going. Have been twice and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
Jan 27th, 2005, 06:31 PM

I agree with starfish one. P&Q is just my cup of tea.

Unusual Moorish architecture, a spectacular pool setting, charming management and staff, great food, terrific value for money, spacious rooms and a honour bar system, within easy reach of the action at Oistins...it's all great.

That said, it is not for those who insist on umbrella drinkies, AC, TV and room telephones. And, because we were there just after heavy rains, mozzies were a bit of problem not wholly dealt with by the breezes from the ceiling fans (one application of DEET, however, sufficed). Perhaps as a consequence, quite a large proportion of the guests were Canadian or British (Lord Lichfield had preceded us by a few weeks, we were told).

We found we much preferred the second level garden view rooms to the ocean view rooms because the former come with a large open balcony (from which you can still see the ocean). The equivalent space in the ocean view rooms was enclosed with a barred window that we found claustrophobic.

Although on the ocean, there's no beach in front (but a snorkelling lagoon offers great entertainment). The swimming beach is a few minutes walk away. When the waves are up, it's great to watch the kite boarders and surfers in action.

I also like Casuaarina, and you can save on costs by using the kitchenette that comes with the room
Jan 28th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks much for all the suggestions. Another place I saw was Yellow Bird Hotel in Lawrence Gap. Has anyone stayed here or know anything about it?
Jan 28th, 2005, 09:42 AM

try this site for more ideas
http://www.caribline.com/br/brforum.shtml