Search

Barbados?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Michelle

Barbados?

Hi,I am considering vacationing in Barbados this winter for a week. Can you recommend a nice place to stay. Is it safe to travel the country in a rental car? How expensive are drinks,food and hotel. Should we do all inclusive and what part of the island is the best? Thanks, Michelle

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Lois

Hi Michelle, <BR><BR>Barbados is a great, friendly country. Very safe. Winter is peak season, so expect to pay high prices everywhere.<BR><BR>What type of budget do you have?? West Coast is very high in price, South Coast a little more moderate, but still high in winter.<BR><BR>Bougainvillea Beach is a great place as is Coral Sands Resort - both on South Coast.<BR><BR>If you do all inclusive you miss out on a lot of fabulous restaurants on the West Coast that are too great to pass up.<BR><BR>Check out the tourism board website for accommodations and prices when you are going. If you need help narrowing it down, contact me directly or via this board.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>Lois

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Tom

I went to Barbados and it was horrible. I stayed at the Buenavista Resort and they were incredibly rude. I can't imagine there isn't a better choice out there than Barbados. I went to South Beach earlier this year and had a fantastic time. It was cleaner, prettier and much more fun.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 10:34 PM
elliotts

Hate to disagree with Tom, but I'd take Barbados anyday over South Beach. We actually vacationed in February in both Barbados and South Beach, and found the people in Barbados to be extremely friendly and the beaches there incredibly beautiful. South Beach on the other hand was congested and dirty and a little too much of a scene for our taste. The hotel we stayed at in Barbados - the Sandy Lane - was probably the finest hotel of anywhere in the world that we have ever stayed. The caveat is that it is EXTREMELY expensive. Can't speak for the other hotels as this is the only hotel we have stayed at in Barbados, but they do include a buffet breakfast and the grounds and amenities are incredible. The spa and gym are great, the beach is perfect and they have great tennis courts and two golf courses (when we were there they were finishing the second course, so not sure if it is yet completed) so you wouldn't even have to leave the resort, although there is a lot to see and do on the island. Can't wait to return.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 04:15 AM
JON

We have been all around the carribean and found barbados to be the best. the south coast is cheeper but dirty and a little scruffy. the west coast is your best bet.I would advise that you go on an inclusive basis as eating and drinking in a reasonably decent resterant in very costly around &pound;140 for a meal for 2.there are either high class resturants or very poor ones none in the middle.a decent hotel inclusive will cost &pound;1300 per 7 days and &pound;150 per extra night flying from the UK I can recomend the almond beach spa saint james. <BR>All the best jon

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Kelly

Michelle,<BR>My husband and I went to Barbados for our tenth anniversary. It was wonderful, the people are the most friendly I have ever met! We stayed in an all-inclusive, it was the Almond Beach Club. (Not Almond Beach Village).We didn't have alot of money. This was definitely the way to go. We could go get drinks whenever we wanted. The food was great. Never had to worry about having money left on the trip for food or drinks. The room was average, we could have paid more for an oceanfront room but we thought the room was great for our budget. We rented a little jeep for a couple of days and saw all kinds of awsome things on the island. Just loved the whole experience, if you have any questions feel free to e-mail me.<BR>Kelly