Hotels within walking distance of "the gap" in Barbados

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have never been to Barbados but like the idea of being able to walk to town and restaurants at night. Any recommendations for a nice hotel on the beach? Aside from eating our favorite thing to do on vacation is spend the day on the beach with a good book. We're looking for something midrange...not budget but not the Four Seasons. Thanks
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 01:06 PM

Try Sunswept in Holetown that is exactly what you are looking for.
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 01:41 PM
KVR

From our research, I didn't think that Holetown was within walking distance to the Gap.

To be close to the Gap you probably want to be in an area called Christ Church. We are also researching for a future trip to Barbados and have looked into these hotels:

Peach and Quite, Bougainvillea Beach Resort, Sea Breeze Beach Hotel, Butterfly Beach Hotel, Turtle Beach Resort, Coconut Court Beach Hotel, Coral Sands Beach Resort, and Dover Beach Hotel just to name a few.
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 04:02 PM

The Gap is on the south coast and I do not believe any of the hotels there are upscale, but they are Carribean, nice, and interesting. Public transportation is $.75 US so I would stay wherever you like and take the bus. Fun and regular. We had our wedding night dinner at Josef's 11 years ago on the cliff at sunset. Loved it. Last year there were a number of other good restaurants in that area Your higher class hotels are on the west coast, including Sandy Lane.
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 03:17 AM

Holetown is not close to the Gap, but the reason i said Holetown is because its a well populated tourist area it is much mor busy with shopping than St.Lawrence Gap,it is crime free,compare to the gap,it has better resturants,hotels,supermarkets,dutyfree shopping than the gap,
the gap is actually a ghost town during the day,the beaches cannot compare to holetown beaches,the sea water at Holetown is crystal clear,you can go swimming with seaturtles and thousands of tropical fish.People always talk about the Gap but the Gap is not as nice as people says,except for a few night clubs that has to shut their music off at a certain time,what i am saying you get much more for your money in Holetown the Gap will never compare not in 100 years.Christ Church is located on the South Coast of Barbados the water is constantly rough not ideal for swimming all the hotels you mention is located near rough sea water,however Barbados is a beautiful island and everywhere is good but compare West coast with the south out of 10,i give the west 10 and south 5.
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 05:16 AM

There are several hotels in the Gap area where you could walk to restaurants, and KVR has made some good suggestions, but Peach & Quiet is not one of them (it's an extremely lovely place but requires a car, nor is it even close to a beach).

Divi Southwinds might be the most convenient beach hotel for the Gap, but there are many hotels on the South Coast that are within very close bus or driving taxi distance to the restaurants and clubs there. Right on the beach is Almond Casuarina (but it's an all-inclusive), Barbados Beach Club, and Bougainvillea. Turtle Beach Club and Southern Palms Beach Club are not on the beach but are near the beach.

But you could stay anywhere between Bridgetown and the Gap itself and be conveniently located ... even at the Hilton.
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 11:17 AM

We stayed at Coral Sands several years ago and thought it a good choice. Does not have a restaurant but there are several within close walking distance. Also a grocery. Rooms are suites with small kitchen areas.

About 15 minutes to the Gap. Nice pool. Beach was lovely and the water was very calm during our 5 days. Check it out.
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 02:25 PM

I reco Southern Palms, which is on Dover Beach...and within easy walking distance (5 min) to the Gap. I've stayed in the Gap several times and enjoyed it very much, but then, of course, I love the Crane, as well! =)

Peace, Greenie