BAHAMA IDEAS PLEASE

Sep 13th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

BAHAMA IDEAS PLEASE

I am looking for a one week vacation spot for my sister and I in the first part of May somewhere in the Bahamas. What we would like is a condo or room with kitchen facilities on the beach, mid-priced, within walking distance of shopping, restaurants, etc. I'm open to all comments and/or suggestions.
Sep 13th, 2007, 11:43 AM

Are you open to going somewhere other than Nassau or Freeport? If so, I would heartily suggest you consider the Out Islands -- the Abacos, and Hopetown (on Elbow Cay) in particular. I've been there a half dozen times with my husband, and it's the place I keep thinking I'd love to do a long sisters' weekend someday.

Hopetown surrounds a nearly landlocked harbour (with a candy-striped lighthouse), and is just a narrow spit of land between the harbour and the Atlantic Ocean, complete with a stunning pinkish-white sand beach (largely empty) with a barrier reef for snorkeling just offshore. For other beaches, just rent a golf cart or take a ferry.

Hopetown Harbour Lodge (www.hopetownlodge.com)is located on the beach just at the edge of town. Steps away from cute shops and a handful of restaurants. But it ain't Nassau, and you won't find the usual array of Little Switzerland and Colombian Emeralds shops.

What you will have is utter safety, and the security to walk from your hotel/villa without fear. (Usual precautions apply, of course. But again, it ain't Nassau).

It occurs to me that the only rooms at Hopetown Harbour Lodge that have kitchenettes (the cottages) may be outside your budget -- they are over $250/night. However, there are lots of other places to stay in and near Hopetown, and you may even be able to find a small cottage or villa to rent that is in your price range.

BTW, May is a WONDERFUL time, weatherwise, to visit the Bahamas.
Sep 13th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Callaloo - I'll look into your suggestions. In your opinion, is it unsafe for two women in a condo/guesthouse in Freeport/Lucaya area?? I have never been anywhere in the Bahamas
Sep 13th, 2007, 02:23 PM

Cissy, I haven't been to Freeport, so I can't really say. But I have spent some time in Nassau and would say it's like a big city with all of the attendant big city problems. I'd just as soon pass it up for my vacation.
Sep 14th, 2007, 03:46 AM

For specific questions try the www.bahamas-mon.com website it is all about the Bahamas and several resident experts post there on Freeport.

May is a great time of year to visit the Bahamas, the weather should be just about perfect, and the water almost bath water temp.

A condo in Freeport would be fine for 2 women and the Market Place is not far, for lots of restaurants and shopping, though it may not be within walking distance.

You also might look into Harbour Island, it is a small island with some lovely places to stay and houses to rent, lots of restaurants within walking distance and a bit of shopping.

What you might do is a split trip a couple of days on Nassau for some shopping and site seeing and then over to Harbour Island on the Fast Ferry (www.bahamasfastferries.com)

Try some of these websites.

www.romorabay.com
www.myharbourisland.com
www.briland.com
www.eleu.net

Hope this helps.
Sep 14th, 2007, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Travelbuff. Good info and I'll check all of this out.
Sep 14th, 2007, 06:44 AM

I think this is the link for the ferries

http://www.bahamasferries.com/
Sep 14th, 2007, 08:44 AM

Thanks you are right about the ferry link, they changed it not long ago.

The Ferry by the way goes to several outislands, so you might check to see if the schedule might fit your dates.
Sep 14th, 2007, 02:19 PM

I agree with the Hopetown suggestion. We rented a lovely home on the beach from Tanny Key Vacation Rentals (Crew's Nest) right on the beach and walking distance to everything you would need for a week or you can venture from there some on a short ferry hop or biking.
Sep 14th, 2007, 03:26 PM

Ooooooh, I love that Crew's Nest house!! I've never stayed in it, but walked past it, and the tiny Lizard Lodge, so many times. How was it? How many people fit in it?

Ever since Cissy's first post, I've been thinking I'd love to treat my sister to a long weekend in Hopetown for her 40th birthday, and after Hopetown Harbour Lodge, the next place that came to mind was Crew's Nest.
Sep 15th, 2007, 07:16 PM

Crew's Nest--there is a ground floor apartment where the owners resided when we were there (they are lovely). Then, above, there was a two story apartment with one bedroom with a double downstairs (off the living room/kitchen area) and upstairs another bedroom/sitting area with a double bed and full baths on each floor, if I remember correctly. There was a patio and the beach out the back door, with a reef to snorkel not far off. It was delightful. It was an easy walk into town for groceries/bakery and/or to restaurants. The house was comfortable, not fancy, but clean and utilitarian. It is oceanfront, with views of the bay and lighthouse from the other side.
Sep 17th, 2007, 10:05 AM

I think hopetown is a great suggestion. However we were not very happy with hopetown harbor lodge. The rooms were very basic, small with a few hangers in the bathroom. The bathroom itself was old and the water pressure was horrible. We did not check out the cottages but those were right on the beach and appeared newer. I would opt for a private house if we were to go back again. The beach at the hotel is very nice. Great place overall. We loved tahiti beach on the other end. also took a ferry over to great guana cay which we found very quaint. the beach by nipper on guana was awesome and completely empty when we visited. The abacos are very safe.