Attitude in Anguilla?

Aug 20th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Mickie

Attitude in Anguilla?

Good day! We are a couple in our late 20's, enjoy beach, sun and r'n'r when on vacation. We've done lots and lots of research and are considering Anguilla for our next vacation. We were drawn by the promise of spectacular beaches and the peace/quiet of the island.

It sounds like a good deal of the Anguillan tourist trade is devoted to high $$ travellers. We came to this conclusion by checking out rates at some of the resorts and by reading restaurant menus.

In your opinion, will we receive a chilly reception anywhere? In our travel experiences, we've run into this a couple of times. We look young and I guess business owners question whether or not we can afford to enjoy their place of business. We are NY-ers, and unfortunately experience this more often in our home town than anywhere else! It's frustrating to have a snooty maitre d look down his nose at you and size you up!!

We would never patronize a restaurant that we couldn't afford, would never share an entree during peak dinner hours, and of course tip well for good service.

When we told friends we were considering Anguilla, many questioned if we could afford such luxury. We are travelling off season and staying in a rental home. We figured we could cook in for some meals and save $$ for the couple of dinners we plan to splurge on.

Just looking for some first hand experience.

Thanks!

Aug 20th, 2002, 06:14 AM
cc

Hi! GO there!! No, in my opinion your will not receive any chilly receptions in Anguilla. I love that little island! Went in April 2002 and 2000 and know I will go again. We have never had a poor dining experience there and we ate out for every single meal!! The people are warm and friendly and welcoming. Do be polite and always wave hi and smile. Do not ask questions without sharing a geeting first. Manners do a long way I feel, but I think that is true anywhere. Have a blast, I am envious and may just go back next year. We are thinking of trying a different beach but as usual we compare the beaches and food and people to Anguilla. Enjoy!!!

Aug 20th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Nancy

Hi Mickie,
I agree with cc. GO there. We found the people of Anguilla to be very friendly. One of the suggestions cc makes to you is VERY important for most travel in the Caribbean, and many people do not know it.
It is considered rude to begin any conversation without a polite greeting to the person you are addressing. A smile and a "good morning, afternoon, etc." will almost guarantee your acceptance. As cc said, manners are a much more important part of life on most islands in the Caribbean than in the States (and elsewhere).
There are a lot of high-dollar resorts there, but you can find some great local places to eat as well that are not as pricey. One of the best meals we had on Anguilla was barbecued chicken being sold right off the grill by the road on paper plates.
The only chilly reception you might find is from the occasional hoity toity tourist.

btw, any "friend" who would ask you if you can afford a particular vacation destination is probably just jealous.

Aug 20th, 2002, 07:43 AM
jen

Hi there-
My husband and I are in our late 20's as well and we absolutley loved Anguilla. Definitely the best beaches - and the restaurants were great. We actually got a really good feeling from servers in restaurants and hotel staff. Everyone was extremely welcoming and very friendly. I even got a hug at one of the restaurants from the Maitre 'd. It's a very exclusive place - but it is also very down to earth. You really should have no problem.
It was truly amazing!

Aug 22nd, 2002, 06:25 AM
Claudia

My boyfriend and I went to Anguilla in January 2000 (both 25, we lived the Village at that time...) and stayed at Shoal Bay Villas, right on the wonderful Shoal Bay Beach. The island is definitly very expensive, but the atmosphere is quite easy-going even if we were very young compared to the other tourists. I assume that people go there looking for peace and not to show off. I would not reccomend mid-range restaurants. They were unremarkable and still very expensive (around 50$ per person without wine...) while top end restaurants are excellent (Frangipani, La Hibernia, Cuisinart) but the bill flies up to 100$ per person. Our villa was fully equipped for cooking. Have fun!

Aug 22nd, 2002, 06:39 AM
Anita

Hi Mickie. Anguilla is the perfect island for beach, sun and r&r. AND, awesome food options, from super $$$ to very inexpensive.

My husband and I had our honeymoon at Cap Juluca in '97 and we were in our twenties then. We never felt like we didn't belong. Even though NBA star Alonzo Mourning was there for his wedding (which was on the Cap beach and was just soooo pretty) with a bunch of his NBA buddies, the staff treated us with just as much care and attention as the famous folks. And the famous folks were nice too. Let your insecurities go and you will have an awesome time. Besides, nobody but you knows what your bank account looks like. For all you know, people could be looking at you and your boyfiend and think perhaps you have money money. Just relax and enjoy. And everywhere we went on the island, from the little dive joints to the restaurant at Malliouhana, we were always greeted with smiles.

For a great deal on a great beach, check out Carimar. It's a very simple condo-type block place with a pool. The apartments are very clean, bright and spacious. Plus, and here's the good part, you get to hang out on the same beach as the Malliouhana guests which is down at the end of the beach. And whereas those folks have to go down lots of steps to hit the beach, you are right on the sand. It's a beautiful spot.

Aug 22nd, 2002, 09:04 AM
Anon

It's probably one of the friendliest places we've been. The prices seem high, but if you look, you can find a bargain. The crime rate there is supposedly the lowest of all the islands. I loved the beaches.

Aug 22nd, 2002, 02:11 PM
JLLg

Mickie,
After 5 trips to AXA we have never had any sort of snooty or snobby treatment. I think the other suggestion about exchanging pleasantries is very important plus DO MAKE reservations - very important also. Also, don't wear bathing suit tops with shorts in restaurants - it is offensive to the locals. There are lots of restaurants to choose from expensive to roadside BBQ. We like Ripples at Sandy Ground, E's Oven in South Hill, but have crossed Blanchards off our list - too much for so-so service and food.