Atlantis plus another island

Old Mar 10th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlantis plus another island

I have won a trip to Atlantis and will be visiting next month, April. I would like to visit another island in the Bahamas, and am considering either The Abacos(looking at Green Turtle Cay) or Harbor Island. We would like to get away from all of the people that we'll be around at Atlantis, and we like quieter, more relaxed areas. We like to snorkel(would prefer to go just offshore some rather than having to take a boat trip out), laying on the beach, local food, exploring. We're not big into nightlife. Any suggestions as to which of these would be more to our liking? We're looking at a B&B on Harbor Island, and a resort on Abacos.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 01:55 PM

For Abacos, you need a boat/water taxi to explore the places, especially the cays-Elbow Cay, Man-O-War Cay, Guana Cay. The main island is very long, and connected to Treasure Cay-which has a stunning beach. Elbow Cay has a nice lighthouse, and a picturisque little town to walk around. Man-O-War has ship builders, and original decendents of the loyalists to meet.
Guana Cay has Nippers-a place with a fun pig roast on Sundays. You'd have to fly with Bahamas Air from Nassau-make sure you use the right airport to where you're staying! It's a long expensive ride if you fly in the wrong one.

Harbour Island is very chic-gorgeous beach-one of the prettiest in the world, easy to get around-only 3 miles long, (you get around in golf carts), and has the prettiest town you'll ever see-white picket fences, colorful shutters, and drapped flowers-gorgeous! You can fly into North Eleuthera (again, make sure it's North-it's really far and expensive from other airports) and water taxi over to HI, or take the ferry. (2 hours)
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 12:32 PM

cruth,

Your post is exactly my situation. We won a trip to Atlantis, staying at The Cove. We'd like to extend our trip, staying someplace a little more peaceful and not as expensive (even though we've won the air & hotel, I've done a bunch of research and know how expensive EVERYTHING else at Atlantis is) after wards. What did you end up doing?

Even though I've addressed this to the first poster on this thread, if any one else has any suggestions for a first time Bahamas traveler, it is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 05:13 PM

Personally, I would never pick Harbour Island for snorkeling from the beach in the Bahamas- any other opinions?

rsnash- I think most things in Harbour Island are rather expensive and do not sound like what you say you are looking for- I would look for a "local" flight out to the Abacos- as Blamona said, be sure you know if you are looking for Treasure Cay or Marsh Harbour- or to Long Island or Cat Island. Do some reading on this and other forums and some travel books to decide on a place that sounds like it would suit you , THEN look for flights and accommodations (and advice). Perhaps Great Guana in the Abacos might fit your bill (flights would be into MHH with a short ferry ride after that)....
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 09:54 AM

A few years ago we booked 5 nights at Atlantis and then flew over to Provo, T&C for another 5 nights. It worked perfect. From Nassau we flew to Miami, then to T&C. Both were short flights. Provo is a little bit more south from Atlantis, very quiet, relaxing and does have off beach snorkeling.