Aruba Restaurant Report

Search

Aruba Restaurant Report

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aruba Restaurant Report

My husband and I just returned from our five-night vacation in Aruba. Because I received so many great restaurant ideas from this board, I wanted to detail our Aruba dining experiences for anyone interested. I also posted another report on the Hyatt and general Aruba info also.

HOSTARIA DA? VITTORIO We arrived with no reservations but were seated on the patio immediately. Very nice outside? Inside was very charming. Mostly Italian menu?nice choices. The service was decent, a tad slow. I ordered fresh ravioli in a walnut sauce ? different, okay. My husband ordered veal parm?it came out with a bone ? strange. The veal was tough and virtually inedible. Very disappointing?maybe we selected poorly. We would probably not return. Total cost including service charge and tip for two meals, drinks: $67.00

MADAME JEANETTE We sat on the covered deck area of this restaurant, which was much larger than we had envisioned. If you go, ask for a table in the open air. The area in which we sat was uncomfortably HOT and STUFFY. It bothered me a bit that the host said ?I will get you a nice table? and then he put us there, which was also by the kitchen) We shared a crab cake appy which was delicious. Husband had beef tenderloin, I had lobster thermidor. Both meals good?mine was huge and very filling...I didn?t even come close to finishing. We didn?t have desert BECAUSE I COULDN?T SIT IN THE HEAT ANY LONGER. It was too hot at the restaurant, despite fans pointed in our direction. Service was friendly. I think we would have liked this restaurant more than we did if it weren?t so darn hot. Total cost including service charge and tip for two meals, 4 drinks, shared appy: $96.00

LA TRATTORIA EL FARO BLANCO (THE LIGHTHOUSE RESTAURANT)Went to this restaurant for a lunch around noon. We were some of the only people there at the time. We each had the pizzas, which were decent at best. I think our pizza at home spoils us. If you live in a part of the country where your pizza is average, this pizza may seem good. Either way, I would go there for a drink or just a salad just to take in the amazing views?which is truly why we went. Total cost including service charge and tip for two lunches, soft drinks: $38?pizza not tasty enough to warrant the price, we paid for the view.

FLYING FISHBONE You must have a car to get to this restaurant. It took a half hour from the Palm Beach area?but worth every minute. It was where we spent our anniversary dinner. Our table was in the first ?row? right on the shore line. They even have a spot to hang your shoes. By the end of the meal I could feel the water in my toes. This was the most wonderful, amazing, over-the-top atmosphere I have ever experienced. The food was good. Husband had steak, I had ?the second catch? which was a tasty grouper. We shared a vanilla/caramel ice cream dessert. Service was good. We were there enjoying this incredible place for almost two hours. Our only mistake was not making reservations for an earlier time to see the sun setting. A nice saxophonist was playing music also?asked for requests and was very friendly. Would return in a heartbeat?Total: $93

EL GAUCHO Had reservations but waited a bit in the neighboring Garufa Bar tasting the martinis?time flew and in no time we were seated upstairs (husband thought downstairs looked a bit nicer) We chose the El Gaucho Steak and the Filet?both were mouth watering delicious and my meat loving husband (and myself actually) proclaim it to be the best steak we have ever had. For him to say this, was unbelievable. Also not to be missed: the white wine sangria?.also the best ever. The nice waiter recommended the tiramisu, which was incredible. This was the best meal we had in Aruba. We would return again. Actually, my husband asked if he could have a bed in the corner for the remainder of the trip. Total cost including service charge and tip for two meals, drinks, shared dessert: $71

CHALET SUISSE We went here only for the much talked about Toblerone fondue dessert. We arrived late?at 10 PM, and there were a people still eating meals. With that said, it seemed like this place could not be bothered with us just having dessert. So service was not friendly to say the least. The fondue was yummy but we have been to other fondue places that were better. Oh well. Total cost including service charge and tip for shared dessert: $21

GASPARITO This restaurant was chosen so we could also select some local artwork from the wall of the cunucu (farm house). We were seated outside on a pretty patio. The waiter made recommendations that we took. I had the keri keri (barracuda)ravioli appy and my husband had onion soup. He had filet (are you surprised?) and I had the shrimp in coconut milk and brandy. Everything was very tasty. While we waited for our meal to arrive at the table, we walked through the small rooms in the home and looked at the art. The owner was very kind in explaining different pieces and telling stories of the art, most of which was for sale. After dinner, we chatted with him some more and selected a watercolor by a local artist to take home with us. Total cost for 2 appys, 2 meals, drinks, with tip: $88 (This price does not include the price for the painting!!)

SALT AND PEPPER This was right across from the Hyatt and we went for a lunch/light snack. We sat at the bar and took the recommendations of the very funny and friendly bartender who called us by name. We selected different tapas (garlic shrimp and pollo picante were two that were very good) and had soft drinks. Total cost including service charge and tip for 4 tapas selections, soft drinks, about $30

Aruba really had wonderful food. There were a few places that we heard good things about but didn?t make it to?Driftwood and Papiamento will be on the list the next time we go. Happy dining!
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 06:19 AM

I am headed to Aruba for my honeymoon in November. I'm trying to plan ahead and make reservations at various restaurants and activities. We'll be staying at the Marriot (which is close to the Hyatt, right?) but I don't feel like i have a grasp of the geography of the island. For instance, we'll want to have a nice romantic meal on our first night and I've read reviews of some restaurants that may fit that description but I don't know how far away they are from the hotel. How hard and how expensive is it to get to many of the popular restaurants (not Flying Fishbone as I've read that's a good distance away)?
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 09:32 PM

I just *LOVE* reading reports on all the great restaurants on Aruba --- really hammers home what a bunch of saps those folks are who get suckered into crummy AI "deals". Ah well, joke's on them (or more likely, the joke's on their plates).

Bon apetit!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 06:05 AM

tuffer76: Aruba is a small island so most restaurants are a few minutes drive away--by taxi or bus. Flying Fishbone is further away past the airport. We usually rent a car so I don't know what the taxi fare would be, probably around $15 one way?
For your first night you might consider Simply Fish at the Marriott. Your table is right on the beach by the ocean. You will need to make a reservation before arriving.
Our favorite restaurants include Madame Janette, Marandi, Chalet Suisse and El Gaucho. For Marandi you can reserve a "sunset view" table with a view of the ocean--my order was excellent (pork tenderloin with shrimp dim sum) but service was slow; however, it was worth the time.
For other beach dining, at the Pirates Nest (Bucuti Resort) a selected number of seatings are reserved in advance on probably the most beautiful strech of beach. The food is good but you go mainly for the incredible view while dining at the early seating. Happy hour is 4-6 if you arrive early.
All these restaurants have websites online.
Congratulations great destination for a honeymoon!
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 09:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
tuffer 76:
On your first night in Aruba, eat at the Simply Fish restaurant on the beach at the Marriott. Make a reservation for sunset. It really is a lovely setting. Food was okay. We enjoyed the atmosphere the most. I understand that the italian restaurant Tuscany at the Marriott has the best food. We did not get a chance to dine here. We walked to the Hyatt from the Marriott. It is about 10min. walk. You walk along the beach then cut through the Holiday inn and up to the walkway. It is not far. You will enjoy the marriott. It is a very nice hotel and an easy cab ride to many good restaurants. Try El Gaucho, and Chalet Suisse. aruba-bb.com has many information on Aruba. If you enjoy a party try the Kukukanooko bus. It takes you bar hopping. (We had kids so we did not try this, but it sounded like fun.) Enjoy and happy honeymooning.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 09:47 AM
ali_n_tony

I was in Aruba 4 years ago and still remember the best steak known to man...The El Gaucho Steak Fillet... Now, I'm hungry...

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 06:08 PM

We are headed to Aruba in a week & have reservations at Madame Jeanettes & Flying Fishbones. After reading this, we want to add El Gaucho. Do you need reservations?
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 05:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
You probably won't need reservations, but it doesn't hurt. We made reservations and requested to dine downstairs. I hear upstairs is somewhat cramped. We loved the steak also. There is also a wandering trio that sings by your table and they take requests. It was fun.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 05:49 PM
kendall

We made our reservation on line for El Gaucho. If you make your reservation on line, I would confirm the reservation when you arrive in Aruba. They did not have our reservation when we arrived, but we brought along the e-mail confirmation from the restaurant. They honored our reservation without a problem. We had a great meal and really enjoyed the wandering trio. If you are really into beef, try Chez Matildred(sp?) - excellent, but expensive. The restaurant is in Orangested. People tend to dress up at this restaurant. Lovely setting, fantastic service and food.

Old Sep 6th, 2004, 10:52 AM

We also just returned from Aruba....

Our favorites this time where Chez Mathilde (sp?)....This was one of the finest restaurants on the island in both food quality and service....truly a dining experience.

Also very good were driftwood (great for a 12oz broiled lobster tail).

Blossoms in the Wyndham was good for sushi.

Texas De Brazil....Churascaria (very good if you like lots of good quality meat). If you a vegetarian, they have a really nice salad bar.

Ruinas del mar.....The shrimp and scallops dish was excellent. Best shrimp I have ever had....other stuff hit and miss.

I also ate in that italian restaurant across from the Hyatt....I have had good italian food, this was not all that great. Although, other people I was with thought it was good.

Aqua Grill - Decent food, but stay out of the back room....really noisy.

Madame Janette - Nice, friendly staff that goes out of your way to make you happy. Food was excellent....

These are a few of the more memorable experiences.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 10:54 AM

And of course....I forget El Gaucho. My wife and I shared the mixed grill. Excellent food and service.