Aruba - best place to stay

Jan 17th, 2003, 06:30 AM
RD

Aruba - best place to stay

Hi,

We're looking for someplace to stay in Aruba. We're going without our kids, so would like someplace without a lot of other kids. We like to have a kitchen so we can cook some meals. Want beautiful beach, pool, tennis, and attractive furnishings. Suggestions?

Jan 17th, 2003, 09:49 AM
scott

Going in April..Staying at LaCabana, I have heard it is great and they all have kitchens, and walk to beach.

Jan 17th, 2003, 11:44 AM
abel

Lots of kids by the pools. OK by the ocean.

Jan 17th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Gail

La Cabana is extremely family oriented and there will be lot of kids. Also the beach is across the street so depending on where your unit is located it could be a bit of a walk. Try Costa Linda or Playa Linda as they are very nice timeshares.

Jan 17th, 2003, 06:47 PM
Jane

Have you considered the Bucuti? They do not provide any children's activites and discourage guests with childern from booking there. I believe that this resort is the only one on the island to have this policy. We stayed there in September and it was fantastic. While the hotel itself is not overly luxurious (but it is very comfortable and extremely clean), the service is superb and their beach is the widest on the island. They have a beach-front bar and restaurant and will serve drinks and food to your beach chairs. However, the pool area is not elaborate and they do not have tennis courts. So, if you have your heart set on a big pool and tennis, it may not be ideal for you.

Have a great trip!

Jan 18th, 2003, 06:18 AM
cdt

If you want a kitchen, my recommendations would be Costa Linda (best beach), Playa Linda (Palm Beach), or the condos at the Marriott.

I don't think La Cabana is a good choice if you're traveling without kids.

Jan 18th, 2003, 07:18 AM
Sue W

RD: I think I read elsewhere that you want to go in April? Check out the Aruba.com BB http://www.aruba.com/msgbrd/list.php?f=3
toward bottom of page is a post by Olga for Week 14 rental at Costa Linda. However, I don't believe CL has tennis courts.

Bucuti, a place that caters to couples would be an excellent choice for all the reasons mentioned by Jane. They have bungalow suites with kitchenettes but as previously mentioned, the pool is basic. But who cares about a pool with that gorgeous beach in front of you (unless you are a pool person vs beach)? Personally, we love Bucuti and wouldn't think of staying elsewhere.

Jan 18th, 2003, 08:26 AM
denise

The CL does have tennis courts. We just returned from this resort and thought it was very nice. Great pool and beach. Each room has a stocked kitchen.
Denise

Jan 18th, 2003, 09:56 AM
Margo

Condo type properties cater to families, perhaps you might consider other choices.
The quiet Bucuti is located on a gorgeous beach but does not have a great swimming pool. I don't know about kitchen facilities but they do have microwaves.
We stayed at the Sonesta Suites by the Marina (NOT the Mall) which is now the Renaissance. The boat trip to the private island is only a few minutes and there are many facilities on the island--dining, gym, spa, watersports center etc. There are 4 different beach areas and a hiking trail. Being downtown there are great choices for dining from inexpensive to expensive--Chez Mathilda, L'Escale, El Gaucho, Villa Germania, Rumba, Que Pasa--all good choices.
If you rent a car you can drive to Baby Beach, up to the lighthouse and different areas of the island.
Also, in the suites are kitchenettes but honestly with pizza places and all types of dining choices I don't think you will want to dine in very often. Probably best used for breakfast.
You might want to check out different properties at Where2Stay.com (or just type out in Google or Lycos) for travelers comments and information.

Jan 19th, 2003, 01:10 PM
curious

Howdy:

We were at La Cabana the week before Thanksgiving (Nov 15-22, Week 46), and there were not very many kids there. Ours, and a few others.

But, as stated, the beaches between Eagle and the Cal lighthouse were kid-free.

Jan 20th, 2003, 05:16 AM
Nancy

Do not go to LaCabana w/o kids. You can do so much better in every way, especially if you are willing to pay just a bit more. Look into the Aruba Grand for what you want, moderately priced with a pool especially suited to real swimming. The beach is wonderful and very close. Not all rooms have kitchens so you have to ask, but those that do are fully stocked and the furnishings are good. Other than that I would agree that a time share place is the way to go. I like the Aruba Ocean House by Marriott. It's their time share option but you can reserve nights right on their regular website and I thought it was reasonable for the facility and island. They have a very nice restaurant there called Simply Fish that you should try regardless.

Jan 20th, 2003, 05:50 AM
codfish

Those going to Aruba in April be advised that Easter week is in April this year. Also, April 21 is Patriots Day and starts school vacation week in Massachusetts and much of the Northeast. Aruba one of the most prime destinations for big non-stop charters from the Northeast. I went once and met a couple of couples from my hometown on the plane and that is not uncommon. It is one of the things I don't care for about vacationing there. There will be a million kids and you will not avoid them. Go the first week or the last week of April instead.