Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions? Wanted a vaca- single supplements are killing me!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jHi All,
I ust found out I can take up to 2 weeks off together during the first 3 weeks of December. I had thought I was going to take a cruise until I encountered the 200% single supplements. I am bleary-eyed from searching through websites & specials. Does anyone have any tips? Anything I may be missing? I wanted a 7-10 day Carribean cruise, or somewhere warm, II am senior , union or military in terms of discounts. Was trying to keep it close to $1000- usually I love to walk & explore, but i am nursing a sore knee, so I wanted to take it easy, which is why I thought of a cruise. Appreciate any thoughts. Maybe someone knows of a great destination? I am a little close on the finances, so I guess I have to think of a shorter trip? Thanks!
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

typos galore- sorry! NOT a senior or in any of the usual "discount" groups.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 08:46 AM

I would get a travel agent (one that does a lot of cruises) on the case for you. There are so many empty cabins going begging right now, especially since your timeframe is for early December, which is still low season. The websites can be useful but this is a specialized request so the agent may be more helpful and faster since your planning time is short. I am getting emails every day with deals, there's got to be one at there for you, especially only three weeks out! Also try posting this on the cruise forum I am sure there are lots of helpful experts there.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 10:56 AM
KVR

I agree, a travel agent can search rates for you and other types of vacations for singles. Also, try looking for info on cruise boards such as:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373

Another suggestion would be Club Med. Some of their resorts are strictly for singles. No supplement fees.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi! I just wanted to thank you for the quick replies, but I hadn't had a chance. I did go back to my old travel agent & she trimmed a cool $500 off the price. I hadn't used her since I found this site & began putting trips together on my own, with guidance from fodorites! I leave tomorrow on a 9-day cruise with RC. Thanks again!