Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Caribbean Cruise Questions for first time cruiser

Jun 9th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Hello - keeping in mind that I would like to keep the cruise on a lower budget, I have a few questions being a first time cruiser:

1. Is a room with a window important, or would it be better to pick a room on a middle to higher floor with no window?

2. Is there an advantage to booking on the phone vs online?

3. Is there an advantage to booking airfare thru the cruiseline (ie. does it include transportation to the cruise ship and back to the airport)?

4. Do the cruise lines work with hotels for passengers that fly in the day before the cruise begins?

Anything else I should consider before booking? We have the cruise and flights picked out.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Michelle

Jun 9th, 2008, 06:32 PM

Hi. I'm a Travel Agent.
For a budget minded person, inside cabin is fine, lower deck is fine.
(unless you are claustrophobic and need a window). Actually, there is more motion on higher decks! The cabins on lower decks are decorated the same, and pretty much the same size as the higher decks. (until you get to the much more expensive cabins). I would book with a local Travel Agent. It is safer, they answer questions, they take care of you. They should be able to price match, or come close. You get personal attention.
Cruiseline airfare is almost always more than booking it yourself. And you can purchase their transfers.
They also charge more with hotels. Book those on your own, too.
Have fun!
Linda
Jun 12th, 2008, 08:33 AM

I am also looking for a cruise

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...t=0&dirtyBit=1

perhaps you can post your pick and reasons there?
thanks,
Anil
Jun 12th, 2008, 03:23 PM
pat

look at some of the cruises on www.vacationstogo.com. You do get your own travel agent and they have good prices.
Jun 12th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's input!
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:51 PM

My wife and I frequently cruise. The biggest thing we've discovered is the joy of a glass of wine or cup of coffee on our balcony. I had a bad experience on a Hawaiian cruise. We had selected an inside cabin. The air conditionong didn't work. The ship was booked up. I had to tough it for a week without air. We're nowhere near some but we try to cruise three or four a year. Some like an inside cabin. We like the fresh air. Nomatter where you are, you'll love it! Cruising is our greatest love!
Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:56 PM

I neglected to add that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We utilize the cruise line for connections from the airport to either ship or hotel. It's very advantageous. Some use a TA(travel agent) they can work for you getting the best prices. The only downer is I like to check on line about cabin, administrative procedures,etc. I usually go direct to Cruise lines. For International flights, I use a special air source-its much lower.
Jul 7th, 2008, 10:04 AM

1. what knows! this is very personal. I was in an inside cabin for 1/2 hour, and that was it for me, window only! even if a porthole

the best is a cabin in the middle of the ship, on one of the lower levels if you get sea sick (take ginger)

2. online you can see what is done, get print-outs, make changes later if needed

3. financial DISadvantage - they have fixed fee only for flights

you can add transfer to/from aiport if you want to, on the website, you can do it any time up to probably 2 weeks before sailing

5. you can make your own reservation, pick the cabin you want, and after that you can use cruisecompete or a travel agen to compare the price.

if an agent has a lower price, you can "release" your cabin to that agent, but do it fast, there is a narrow time frame for that