cruise line comparisons

Search

cruise line comparisons

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2003, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cruise line comparisons

Anyone know where I can find information on the different cruise lines and side by side comparisons on the web? I'm planning a cruise for the first time to the Caribbean and I know nothing about cruises.

Thanks!
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 04:08 AM

go to www.cruisecritics.com or www.cruise-addicts.com...both websites have reviews of all the ships...

While they won't be side by side, they will be listed separately, so you can print out the ones you are interested in and look at them all at the same time that way....
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 08:41 AM

travelocity.com lets you pick different cruises and will compare them.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 09:34 AM

You need to improve your options. Go to an experienced travel agent. It won't cost you any more and it just might cost less. Often there are cabin upgrades to be had only by a travel agent. You can't beat the opportunity for a lot of free advice. Check around with your friends and see if they don't have a suggestion for a good travel agent who is familiar with the style of cruising you would enjoy.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 04:04 PM

"Often there are cabin upgrades to be had only by a travel agent."

Is that true? I had wondered. I am about to take my third cruise (all 3 booked by travel agents) and we've been upgraded every time. Someone we know is about to take their first cruise but they have not been upgraded. Do people who book with a travel agent usually always get upgrades?
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 07:31 PM

NO- people who book with a TA do NOT always get upgraded...

I have booked with a TA for over 25 years and have never had an upgrade..I think a lot has to do with WHEN you book and what time of year you cruise...etc....and HOW full the ship is...
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will definitely check the web sites out.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 06:42 AM

YES YES YES to "cabin upgrades only to be had by travel agents." My travel agent booked me in an "upgradeable" cabin and I was thrilled when I sailed on the Star Princess (western Mexico coast) as I got a cabin on deck #10 which has the biggest balconies. DO ask a travel agent.

I've booked thru Travelocity also, and think they did a great job but there was no upgrade when I boarded the ship (to Bermuda). Instead, I had a smaller cabin than the norm... but the ship was fully booked and I didn't make my reservation on line until about 3 weeks prior to sailing... my own fault.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 11:14 AM

Andy,

Sorry, but I think you may need to find yourself a new TA. My TA, 90% of the time, always gets me an upgrade and perks, whether it's a cruise or hotel. We have not cruised for 8 years and booked a cruise last June for November sailing, Cabin w/Balcony and was upgraded to a mini-suite 3 weeks ago thanks to my TA. She also got us a $200 on board credit!

People who do not use a TA also get upgraded, but I think you have a better chance of getting upgraded using a TA. Just my opinion.
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 05:25 AM

"My travel agent booked me in an "upgradeable" cabin and I was thrilled when I sailed on the Star Princess (western Mexico coast) as I got a cabin on deck #10 which has the biggest balconies."

You're talking about a "guarantee" which has nothing to do with a TA. A guarantee is assigned by the cruise line to sell space and to balance the ship. Now, TAs will take credit, but they have little or no influence in this respect. So it really doesn't matter with who you book.

The same can be said about the "perks" the TA say they obtained. They either come directly from the cruise line, or are the "sharing" of the TAs commission.
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 10:39 AM

I know my travel agent didn't get our latest upgrade because she was surprised when she got notice of it from the cruiseline. But I wondered if lines were more inclined to give them to agents who deal a lot with cruises.