Anse Chastanet - meal plan, or no?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a June honeymoon at Anse Chastanet and are trying to decide if we want to do the meal plan - we've heard the food is great, but we also want to explore and try out other restaurants we've been reading about (the restaurant at Ladera, for example!)

But the question is - is it easy to get taxis in and out of the resort?

Please share your experience and advice on whether or not you advise doing the meal plan or keeping your options open. Also - how are prices at A/C if we eat there when we feel like it without the plan?

Thanks!
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 06:40 AM

I have only had lunch at AC and while it was good, it was very expensive. Are your meal plan options all or nothing? If I were planning to stay there for a vacation, and knowing how relatively isolated it is (which means getting out to other restaurants you have to add the cost of a taxi or rental car to the cost of the meal), I would probably opt for the MAP plan if available. On any nights that I wanted to try a different restaurant (Dasheen at Ladera for one example), I would try to arrange in advance for my included evening meal to be exchanged for the luncheon meal that day.

It's not difficult to get taxis in or out of the resort, but it does involve some advance planning. You probably wouldn't have the luxury of deciding at 5:00pm that you'd like to have a taxi on hand for dinner that night.

You've picked a great place for a honeymoon--Congrats!
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you - that's very helpful!

Anyone else out there who has stayed at A/C on or off the meal plan? What were your thoughts, would you do it the same way next time?
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 01:59 PM

We were there a few years ago, and did the meal plan (at that time of year we didn't have a choice). The food was excellent, and since we're not into leaving the resort much and trying other restaurants, it worked very well for us. I have no idea what anything would have cost if we'd paid as we went. Our experience proved this to be a very gracious, well-run resort where they bend over backwards to make your stay wonderful. Ask them about switching a lunch for dinner as ejcrowe suggests.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 02:11 PM

Definitely get the meal plan. The southern part of St. Lucia is not a "go out on the town" kind of place. The nearest restaurants will be a $15 minimum taxi ride one way. Truthfully, you will find it a hassle getting in and out of the hotel.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Very good to know - now I am trying to decide if we would be better off paying as we go when eating at A/C vs. buying the plan, considering we will likely want to try other places at least a few times if for nothing other than the sense of adventure - too bad A/S doesn't post menu prices on the website!

Old Dec 9th, 2006, 05:23 AM

KMeddy, perhaps you could ask the hotel to fax you a menu with prices or send it by email as an attachment.

I wish I could remember more specifically what our meal cost, but it was my first trip to the Caribbean and I wasn't obsessive about details like that back then.

But suffice it to say that it is as expensive as you'd expect on an island where many things have to be imported and where the audience is somewhat captive.