Another Honeymoon Question!

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 01:42 AM
Katie

Another Honeymoon Question!

Hi

I am getting married next April. I love the sound of places like Biras Creek, Le Toiny, Peter Island Resort, etc cos they have their own hottubs and the cottages are right on the beach. I have to admit that I like the 'poshness' of them, and the gourmet food! But we can't afford them!!!! (Big sigh)!

Anyway, what I want to know is - is there anywhere in the Caribbean similiar to this, but not so expensive?? I know I'm clutching at straws here, but I thought it was worth a try!

Many thanks

Katie

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 07:57 AM
St John

Look into renting a villa on St. John, USVI. We met many who have married on the beach and rented lovely villas. I agree with them, it's a beautiful island.

Good luck.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Katie

Thanks St John, but I think we would prefer a hotel resort. Thanks for your suggestion though!

Katie

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Tiffany

Katie - check out Jumby Bay resort in Antigua. It's located on a 300 acre private island right off the shore. It's pricey, but may not be as pricey as the places you suggested. I have not stayed there presonally, but it looks perfect for a honeymoon. We stayed at Sandals Antigua for our weddingmoon 2 months ago and we loved Antigua. We loved the resort too, although I know Sandals is not for all (Sandals Antigua is the only Sandals for me, wouldn't visit any of their other resorts). Congrats, good luck and enjoy your vacation!
www.jumby-bay.com

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Reality check

Tiffany dear, Jumby Bay is beautiful but it is at least as expensive as the others that Katie already said were too much.
Katie, I sympathize with you but the reality is if you want posh and beachfront and private hot tubs and gourmet food you will have to pay for it. You need to prioritize and decide what you can live without.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Kim

Katie:

I'm getting married in the Carribean (BVI) next year, too. Like you, I want a nice place but cannot afford the really expensive spots. We plan on getting married at the Sugar Mill Resort on Tortola and honeymooning at Sandcastle on Jost Van Dyke. You might want to look at either of these. Both are small, secluded, with cottages on the beach and gourmet food. (No hot tubs, though.) Both places have Web sites (www.sugarmillhotel.com and www.sandcastle-bvi.com) -- might be worth checking out. Sugar Mill also has a pretty good 4- or 7-night package available right now.

Best of luck, and congratulations!

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Tiffany

Yes, I realize Jumby Bay is expensive but it is All-Inclusive. I wasn't sure if the others Katie mentioned were. So that cuts out some costs.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 03:07 PM
Janet

Hi Katie,

We were in the exact same boat as you about a year ago. We found all of the resorts you mentioned and others far too expensive. After a very expensive wedding - I don't know who has the $$ to spend another crazy amount on fantasy island. We are Canadian and we were looking at a ridiculous amount to stay at these places. We found with the 17% service charge on everything at the resort - it was over the top.

We decided on Negril, Jamaica - a place called Swept Away and we were very happy. A small all inclusive with a tropical feel, excellent food and excellent service. The resort is on one of the nicest beaches in the Caribbean - 7 mile beach and the water was clear and warm. If you do a search on this place above, you will find lots of info. Lots of honeymooners there when we were there and they all seemed to love the place.

It was a nice alternative to the overly expensive properties you mentioned.

By the way, with only 8 days for our trip, we also found the places you mentioned were not real accessible and required more traveling than we wanted to do. Jamaica was very accessible with flights from most big cities.

Just our opinion - good luck.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 04:57 PM
Penny

Don't rule out St. John. If you can't afford a villa. Then go to the Westin. Once you are on St. John, you won't be at your hotel. The place is gorgeous with so much to do and explore.

Much better than Jamaica and much safer and clearner. Another opinion.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 07:34 PM
lleeking

Katie,

Try Young Island. It's off the coast of St. Vincent in the Grenadines. The prices are very reasonable for the services and type of vacation it is. Very relaxing, great food, great drinks!

www.youngisland.com
or look at Scuba Mom's site - she has a review there too with some great pictures.
www.scubamom.com

Good luck!

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Bob

I agree that St. John's is nice - but expensive and very Americanized.

I have been to Negril and didn't find it unsafe or dirty - some of the resorts in Negril are outstanding.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 05:38 PM
susan

Hello,
We also loved st john, why dont you try priceline!! I know they offer the westin, there is only two resorts on the island so you cant go wrong either way.
Susan