Anguilla--Help!

Aug 17th, 2003, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Anguilla--Help!

Looking to book at Malliouhana or some other similar place-----CJ looks to $$. Can anyone tell me about how nice Malli is ---location looks good, but how long a walk is it too the beach?

Any other hotels highly recomended that are not $10,000 a week for 4 people?
Aug 17th, 2003, 10:54 AM

Absolutely check out www.frangipani.ai; it's on the same beach as Malli but waaay cheaper. CuisinArt is more on the level of CJ & Malli but has better packages. If you go to www.news.ai & click on the "hotels" link at the top of the page, you'll find web pages for all the resorts on the island. Also caribbean-on-line, the Anguilla Forum, is very, very active.
Aug 17th, 2003, 11:22 AM

Malliouhana is even more expensive than Cap and their restaurant is probably the most expensive on Anguilla. Property is very nice. A couple of minutes walk down to the beach. Agree with the above poster. A two bedroom suite at Frangipani woud be perfect for 4 people
Aug 17th, 2003, 03:34 PM

Standard rooms at Malliouhana are cheaper than standard rooms at Cap Juluca (as of summer 2003). Cap Juluca sells out much more frequently, and there are several reasons why.
If you compare these 2 resorts, CJ is on one of the best private resort beaches in the world. Malli's beach is fine, but the water can be rough because it's not in a protected cove like CJ's. Also, the beach is small (the non-shared beach) compared with CJ's and most all the rooms are located above the beach on a cliff.
IMO at least half of CJ's popularity is due to its beach. It's really second to none.
Aug 17th, 2003, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

One last question---2 adults and 2 children under 10----where is best CJ or something like Frangiapani? I don't mind slurging----just don't want to pay $200 every meal for 4.
Aug 17th, 2003, 04:35 PM

Check out the Carimar Beach Club on Meads Bay, which is right next door to the Malliouhana. Some units are two bedroom, two bathroom and there are fully equipped kitchens. No TV's in the units, but there is a TV room on the property. We stayed here and just loved the place. Nice and clean, which is all we wanted considering we spent 90% of our time on the beach or just exploring the island. No restaurant on the property, but several within walking distance - and Anguilla is safe to walk around. Carimar Beach Club on Meads Bay - worth looking into! 8-)
Aug 18th, 2003, 05:04 AM

There are plenty of places to eat on Anguilla without breaking the bank, as not all restaurants are $$$ but all are excellent! Go to the website that MaryD recommended, as there are all restaurants and their menu's listed there. Plenty of beach bar grills on Shoal Bay East (to name one location)...wonderful people, great inexpessive food and the nicest people you will ever meet. Johnnos is also a good bet as well at Tasty's. There's just too many to list!
As far as staying at Cap with children...I would not recommend it. They do not have anything there for kids - no special pool or play area. Also there are no TV's in the room, if you want a TV you would have to rent one $20.00 per day I think. Cap does not discourage children, but there are mostly couples. I think Malli has a kids pool and playground, and the reates are lower than Cap. If you are still debating between the 2 rsorts, I would go with Malli. I have read such wonderful things about Fragipani though, it is less $ and you can go to the market and buy things for breakfast and snacks, which will also keep your cost down and still be in a beautiful resort with a georgeous beach. There is also Fat Cat Gourmet take out, which has excellent food, great prices. The best of both! You really can't go wrong with anyplace on Anguilla, as it is a great vacation, you don't have to spend a lot of money. All the beaches are public, and I definately recommed renting a car. Its much cheaper than a taxi, driving is very easy and you have freedom to explore!
Aug 18th, 2003, 01:28 PM

I think with two kids under 10 it would be preferable to have a place with kitchen facilities like Frangipani or Carimar. Carimar is the less expensive of the two but no restaurant or pool. (Frangipani has both.) Also no A/C at Carimar but you can rent a portable unit for the bedrooms. Fragipani has a pull out sleep sofa in the living room if the kids don't mind that but a two bedroom suite might be preferable. If you go in off season the Sun Sea and Sand is the best deal. Besides the restaurants mentioned above there is E's Oven,and Flavours,in South Hill, English Rose in the Valley, Irad and Barrell Stay in Sandy Ground. As mentioned Fat Cat Gourmet is good for take out and Corner Bar in North Hill has a great seafood pizza. Cocoplums on Meads Bay is also good and not very expensive. Just up the hill from Malliouhana across from Christines grocery there is a place that does Chicken and Rib BBque on Fri and Sat for about $5/person which you can take out.
Aug 18th, 2003, 07:25 PM

The place up the hill across from Christine's grocery has BBQ to die for. We ate there twice, choosing to eat on site and meet with locals. HowardC is absolutely right in recommending it!! When we stayed at Carimar, we were fine the first couple of nights without AC, but a bit too much sun made the body temps rise, so we got a portable unit for our bedroom - it was $10 a day - and it worked out beautifully. Oh, how I wish I was returning ...
Aug 19th, 2003, 05:18 AM
kmd

Croix: We travel to Anguilla every year and always stay at Malliouhana. We absolutely love it; our favorite place to stay on the island. You get the best breezes from that location! Meads Bay is one of the nicest beaches in my opinion--extremely calm. It is a couple of minutes walk to beach but golf carts are always available to take you to beach and someone is there to set you up with chairs,umbrellas, towels and drinks. What more can you ask for? The cost depends on the time of year.
Aug 19th, 2003, 07:29 AM

Hi, we have been to Anguilla many times and one resort we liked very much as they have reasonably priced villas on their property along with their small hotel is La Sirena. The property is just off Meads Bay and you have the availibility of a full kitchen should you want to have breakfast and lunch as we did in the Villa. They also have a very good restaurant and two pools, one at the hotel and one at the villas. To reach the beach you just walk thru about 15 yards of mangrove path and you are on the beach, they also have their own lounge chairs on the beach.