Search

All inclusive resort for single woman in 40s

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All inclusive resort for single woman in 40s

Hi all

I'm looking for an all inclusive resort and I'm a single woman in my 40s. I'm thinking about club med but don't want to be surrounded by really young, hard core party people. any suggestions?
thanks
theresa
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:40 PM

hi theresa, welcome to fodors.
need more info
when do you want to travel? what is home airport? do you want quick flt or don't mind long day of travel? what do you want to do? are you more a beach sitter or go doer? snorkel, golf, gamble, or?? most importantly what is your budget for air & resort?
club med is probably not your best choice but it does depend on which club to some extent. the one on guadeloupe might be ok but there are plenty of less party oriented ai's. do you want a huge resort or small?
how do you feel about mexico? flts to cancun are normally easy & there are tons of resorts along the maya riviera coast.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:58 PM
KVR

We looked at Club Med in Turks & Caicaos, but the reviews were really skewed. We booked with another hotel and then talked to several people staying there while on tours and didn't think it was as bad as the reviews have stated. Beware, that since it's considered a singles hotel many of the rooms only have single beds and encourge roomates like crusie ships. Hotels like the Sibonne, Somerset or Alexandra are great for singles, but not AI. The Veranda is an AI complex that might interest you.

If interested in Mexico, I would suggest the Royal Playa del Carmen. It's adult's only, but not couples only. It's located within a 5 minute walk to Playa del Carmen. I'm in your age range and DH is even older and we loved the hotel and location. Other options would be the RIUs, Barcelos, Iberostars or Occidential. However, they also always families, so depending on the time of year there might be lots of kids.

Aruba is a really good place for a single women. Clean, safe and easy to get around. Look at the Divi, Amsterdam Manor or Manchebo.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for thoughtful responses. I live in NYC so airports aren't a problem. Since I'll only be gone a week or so I don't want to spend too much time on a plane. I'll be going in August and I want a balance between some activity and some beach lying. I don't gamble. My budget is open. I'll spend up to 3,000 but want to spend less, I've been to mexico a couple of times so I wanted to try something different. And what an RIU? thanks
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 08:13 AM

I second KVR's suggestion for Royal Playa del Carmen.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 08:35 AM
KVR

You'll need to consider that Augsut is hurricane season. So get the insurance so that you can cancel for any reason if needed.

There are RIU's in Mexico, Jamaica, Dominican Repbulic and Aruba, as well in other areas outside of the Mexico/Caribbean. The RIU in Arbua has to be their nicest well review property.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 07:16 PM

You might want to consider the BodyHoliday at LeSport in St. Lucia or LaSource in Grenada. Both of these resorts (at one time they were "sister" resorts with the same owners, but I'm not sure if that is the case now) cater to solo travelers, and at least at LeSport, it seemed to be a mixed age crowd with 40s probably being the average age. The resorts (I have only been to LeSport and don't know if LaSource is exactly the same) have single rooms, a communal table available for solo travelers, and include a lot of activities (spa treatments, fitness/sports that are not included at many other AI resorts). Grenada and St. Lucia may take longer to get to than some other Caribbean islands but probably won't be too bad from NYC.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 11:28 AM

Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort on St. Thomas is turning all-inclusive & seems to have a mix of people of all ages. Easy to reach from New York as well. You can also do day trips to the BVI's or St. John. If planning to go to the BVI's, bring a passport.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 02:27 PM
KVR

Not quite sure regardng your comment "Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort on St. Thomas is turning all-inclusive". We stayed at that resort in 2005 on their AI plan, so they have least had a all inclusive plan for the past 5 years.

I also would not recommend St. Thomas for a single female trip. There are much better, safer Islands to go to.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 06:59 AM

Take a look at RIU Palace Aruba. It is an AI right in the heart of all activities, with an easy bus ride to town if you need to go into town. Safe to walk around both hotel area and downtown shopping area.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 01:56 PM

Since I lived there uneventfully for 21 years, I can recommend St. Thomas for a single woman. Many other islands suppress their crime statistics & I know that for a fact having lived on other islands.

Many hotels have an AI plan but Sugar Bay is going all-inclusive starting in July even though they had the OPTION of AI before.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 02:01 PM

One more thing, wherever you go if you'll be heading to the Caribbean this summer or fall it would be a good idea to take out trip insurance that covers hurricanes. It was an exceptionally warm winter which kept the ocean warm & that can spell more hurricane activity.

Not that it's a sure thing but trip insurance isn't that expensive & might be a good idea.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 06:23 AM
KVR

Thanks for clearing that up. However, after visting several Caribbean Islands and Mexico over the past 10 years and being a women (though not single) I still feel there are better, safer Islands than St. Thomas for a single female trip.

To the OP, just do the research before choosing.

Additionally, Aruba is considered outside of the hurricane belt. We went in a September and never even considered buying hurricane/trip insurance. The weather was perfect. I felt much safer walking around the complex across from Palm Beach and downtown Aruba than Charlotte Amalie in St. Thomas.

If you do choose a different Island, than yes, definitely get the trip insurance you can cancel for any reason.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 07:24 AM

I visited Barbados while on a cruise and thought it had the most beautiful beaches and friendly people. I know the resort Almont Bay does AI's and may come in under your budget. I will be going solo to Jamaica very soon and will let you know how I liked it. I am also a solo traveler and 42 so I will let you know if I would suggest my trip to you. I am a little concerned though about hurricanes and one seems to be heading right there this week, so we'll see. Also, Turks and Caicos was beautiful. I stayed at the Club Med there but it was a long time ago so I would hesitate to suggest only because I know that its been built up since I've been there. I think it may be the Sandals there that I've heard good things about, just not sure if that's a couples one.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 12:25 PM

We stayed at Riu Palace Las Americas in Cancun in May of 09. It was beautiful and the food in the specialty restaurants was fabulous. The 2 pools (activity and quiet) were so pretty. I am looking at a trip right now to go back there and found the best deal on Hotw*** for the Crown Palace Cancun, it is AI.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

Hi KVR,
Can you please tell me what would make the alexandra or sibonne, great hotels for singles? thanks so much.
Theresa
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 06:36 AM
KVR

We stayed at the Sibonne in 2006. It a small boutique hotel on Grace Bay with 26 rooms and an on-site restuarant. It was quite. No children during our stay and within walking distance to the Salt Mills and Ports of Call.

The Alexandra was our second choice. It's a condo complex and has a very nice pool. It's just a few hotels down from the Sibonne. I've seen a couple of House Hunters International episode where single females have bought condo units there.

Many people also recommend The Somerset. It's right next to the Sibonne. A member of this forum, Blamona, is a T & C expert and owns at The Somerset. If you are interested in T & C. Repost and I'm sure Blamona can give you great information.

T & C is a good local if you just want to sit on the beach and do some sightseeing water activities. We are quite active on vacation, so a little bored and we are AI people, so didn't like having to find a restuarant. We didn't rent a car, which was our mistake. It's not on our return list.

I still want to push Aruba. More things to see and do and a variety of resturants, bars, shopping and entertainment right across the street from the hotels on Palm Beach. We are looking at a return trip and plan on staying at the Amsterdam Manor.

I guess it really depends on what you are looking for in your vacation.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 07:01 PM

I wish I owned at the Somerset! but I don't!

If you want AI, I would pick KVR's brain, much experience with AIs in a bunch of islands--so if you really want an AI, let KVR know a little bit more of what you're looking for-relaxing or active, great food or doesn't matter? Meet and mingle or de-stress-KVR will steer you right for AIs.

If you're interested in Club Med, keep in mind the have different "personalities" depending on the island. I have found Club Med to be a mixed crowd of all ages, so in your 40s you won't feel out of place. Especially the one in T&C. Do keep in mind, the rooms could use some updating. The one in T&C you can actually stay somewhere else and get day or night passes to it too.

If you're interested in T&C, again tell us more. Do you like to explore? What's your budget? What draws you to T&C in the first place?

My first trip to T&C was alone, I have returned many times since (there was only 4 hotels then!) I have also been to many islands by myself.

Tell us a little more so we can help.
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:22 AM
KVR

Sorry Blaoma, I could have sworn you bought at the Somerset since you have stayed there so many times. Maybe someday.
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 04:52 PM

I'm back from Jamaica and would highly recommend going to Negril. As I said, I'm 42 and went solo and never felt unsafe for one minute. The island was beautiful, the people friendly, and the beach amazing!! I loved Turks and Caicos and Barbados as well, but think Jamaica had a different feel that I really loved!