Search

airfare

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 04:18 AM
kendall

airfare

What's reasonable airfare to Provo late November/early December? When's the best time to book flights? Thanks!

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just booked a trip to Providenciales, leaving Cleveland Dec. 25th at7am, arriving in Pr. at 1:15pm and coming back Jan. 3, 2005, for $837 pp. Robert
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 06:04 AM

Forgot, that was with Delta by calling them the old fashioned way at 800-221-1212, and not with Expedia internet. Then, I heard Delta is in danger of bankrupcy; I can picture loosing $837 x 2 = $1,674. Any one know if passengers get reimbursed if the airlindeclares bankrupcy? Robert
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Sunnyboy

It would help if you told us where you are travelling from. What is often considered "reasonable" from say somewhere in the Pacific Northwest would be downright expensive when compared to fares from Miami or NYC. You actual fare will depend on whether you can fly direct from your departure city or if you have make one or more connecting flights.

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 06:16 AM
kendall

Several years ago we were booked on Air Aruba to Aruba which went bankrupt before our trip. We used our American Express card to purchase these tickets and were very lucky to get a refund. I'm guessing it was timing and that AmEx hadn't paid Air Aruba yet for our tickets... My travel agency at work had told me that they were having problems getting refunds for their clients. You might consider taking out some travel insurance.

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 06:18 AM
kendall

Newark or JFK

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 07:01 AM
caribtraveler

Robert: If you paid by credit card, you should be fine. Federal law protects consumers who purchased a product by credit card and the product was not delivered (I believe it's called the Fair Credit Billing Act). A few years ago, my husband and I paid for a cruise through French Polynesia. The cruise ship company went out of business 2 days before our trip. Our credit card company refunded us the entire amount (which included flight that we had booked through the cruise ship company). All we had to do was send them a copy of the credit card bill, a copy of the front page of the cruise ship's web site stating they stopped all operations with a letter explaining what happened (I'm sure the credit card company does its own investigation). By the next billing cycle, the entire amount had been refunded to us.
But if we had paid by check/cash, we would have been s*** out of luck. We could have gone to court but we would have been standing in line with lots of other people.

Kendall: You got your money back so easily because you paid with a credit card.

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 07:05 AM
caribtraveler

Found the web site with the law:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/fcb.htm

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Sunnyboy

Back to kendall's original question - I have friends who booked a r/t "mid-week" fares from JFK in that time period for around $425 (required one stop in MIA).

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 11:02 AM

Caribbtraveler; thanks for the input. I will pay via credit card. Robert
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 12:15 PM
kendall

Thanks Sunnyboy. I found approximately $900 non-stop from JFK traveling Friday/Saturday.

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 12:16 PM
kendall

The above airfare is for 2 r/t.