Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

After loving Anguilla, is Provo worth visiting?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just posted my trip report from Anguilla, and of course, I am already looking into vacation options for next April vacation and next summer

We loved Anguilla, and I know that lots of people have written about the similarities between Anguilla and Provo. Although we do intend to visit Anguilla again in the future, I would like to look into Turks and Caicos, too.

What we loved about Anguilla was the lack of crowds, the food, and the number one reason was Shoal Bay East! From everything I've read, it seems as though Grace Bay is equal to the Anguilla beaches. For those of you who have visited both, would you agree with this? It seems as though Anguilla may have the edge with restaurants, but that Provo has the snorkeling edge.

Any tips or experiences would be great. Thanks!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 01:02 PM

Absolutely--After several trips to Anguilla we decided to try a different island and picked Provo. Have been to both over 20 times now. Islands are similar as they are coral islands with scrub growth. Although the beaches in Anguilla are super Grace Bay has them beat hands down. The ever changing colors of the water are awesome. Provo is more developed that Anguilla with more resorts and shopping plazas but not as much "Night Life". After staying a several different resorts we settled on Coral Gardens. Nice reef to snorkel right off the beach. Snorkeled twice a day. Toss up on Restaurants-Anguilla probably wins but Provo has some really excellent restaurants. A good source of info on Provo is www.wherewhenhow.com the on line magazine of the Turks and Caicos. www.tciforum.com is also very good. If you do a HowardC search here you will probably find some of my Provo trip reports.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 01:45 PM

I agree that you will like Provo after Anguilla. We first visited Anguilla and fell in love with it, then Provo. However, I beg to differ that Grace Bay beats Anguilla's beaches hands down. I still think Shoal Bay East is the most beautiful beach I've visited, I would put Grace Bay 2nd to it, but let's be real here - blinding white sand, bright ridiculously turquoise water - they both have them, so it's really a toss up. I loved that I could walk for what seemed like forever on Grace Bay.

I would go back to either island in a heartbeat - a real toss up. We stayed at and enjoyed The Sands at Grace Bay on Provo, but some of the smaller places looked nice too. Coral Sands does have a great location right on the beach with coral reef just beyond.

Wishing I could go (to either!)
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. and the comparison, Howard. I will definitely look into those websites! After so many trips, do you have a preference, or do you love them each equally?
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 03:23 PM

Is the water in Provo warm enough in March?

We went to Cap Juluca in February. I don't think I ever posted my trip report, but we loved it. We are going back next March, but want to go somewhere else too and thinking of the Turk or back to Caneel Bay

Thanks,
WT
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 05:28 PM

Beachgirl--Like them both equally
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 04:03 AM

Ditto what HowardC said.
Love them both equally, yet a little differently.
Anguilla was my first love. Provo was my husband's first love. I love Shoal Bay, it's a stunner. I'll tell you though, Grace Bay is hard to beat, on of the most gorgeous in the world.
When you go to Provo, make sure you go on an excursion, the water is so gorgoeus it will take your breath away.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 04:19 AM

If your intersted in nice beach, very good snorkeling, fine dining (not normal in the Bahamas and the Caribbean) and the lack of crowds and can indulge yourself, you may want to consider Parrot Cay. It is pricey but classy. It is not a suitable place for children under 14-16 but last year we "paid the piper" and found it to be first class at Four Season prices.
Because of it's somewhat privacy there is a bit of extra time/effort in getting there after landing in Prove but with non-stop flights from NY you can get there to the resort in 6 hours or less from take-off in NY.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 05:35 AM

Anguilla was my first caribbean experience and still my favorite. We more recently visited Provo which I liked also. Anguilla still wins in my opinion. I love the quietness of Anguilla. Provo is more developed. I also did not care for how the resorts are all lined up on grace bay though there is a respectable distance between each resort. Anguilla resorts are more spread out on different beaches which I prefer. Grace bay is a wonderful beach. We snorkelled by Coral Gardens and it was really nice, lots of fish. I would not stay there however because like us others tend to come to their area of the beach to snorkell and makes it a bit crowded. We loved exploring other beachs on Provo. Sapodilla bay was beautiful, shallow, clear and ...the sunset memorable. The restaurants I think are better on Anguilla. However I would definately visit Provo again.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 06:11 AM

Beachgirl. We visited Anguilla last year and Provo this year. You are right in the money when you said Anguilla has the edge on dining and Provo has the edge on snorkeling. Both have outstanding beaches.

We loved both islands and will return to both.

Where did you stay in Anguilla? We stayed at Frangipani on Meads Bay though we visited Shoal bay. And we stayed at Royal West Indies in Provo.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 06:15 AM

Just saw your review on Ku! When we return to AXA, I think that is where we will stay so it was ncie to read your report!
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 09:41 AM

We absolutely love Anguilla, but this trip chose Provo and stayed at the Turks & Caicos Club. We liked the location of the Club because it was not overbuilt like the rest of Provo further east on the beach. Reminded us so much of Cap Juluca's beach but nicer and we could snorkel off the hotel beach. The website is www.turksandcaicosclub.com
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:35 AM

This T&C club looks like something I could go for. Pandy B with 21 rooms how much of a booking time ahead should I do? Just wondering. thanks.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 05:13 PM

Go to wwwluxurylink.com. some times Turks and Caicos club has packages for auction there. Click on auction then by destination and Caribbean. If you win you want an end unit suite in the second floor. Think they are 12 and 17. Never a lot of people staying there. The restaurant Simba is only Okay. Better places to eat on Provo.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 04:47 AM

There are 21 rooms at the TC Club mostly oceanfront. Howard, Simba recently changed management and it was excellent when we were there earlier this month. New menu and lots of specials. We really enjoyed it.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 04:49 AM

Oh ya, we booked about 6 weeks before we arrived. We travel quite a bit and have always found it much easier to go through the hotel directly as they will give you better suites than the ones on discount sites.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 05:36 AM

I am aware that there are 21 units at T&c club. there are about five around the pool. The reason I sugersted the second floor is for a beetter view than the first floor. The thrid floor units are two bedroom. I found the interior suites a little dark due to small windows so that is why I recommended an end unit as you get extra windows. Glad to see Simba is getting better. Was disappointing tha times we ate there.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 08:16 AM

Thanks for the replys guys, I'am looking for a romantic getaway. Sounds good!
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 05:32 PM

bookmarking