Abaco--where to stay & how to get there

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking at heading to Abaco in late Feb-beginning of March.

Can you recommend a place to stay? We need a 2-3 bedroom with kitchen. We would love to find oceanfront with a beautiful beach that our small children can play in the water from. Do you think we can find such a place for under $1500 for the week?

Also how do we get there? From what I can figure out we will fly to Orlando and take a flight to Nassau. Then we will take Bahama Ferries to Harbour Island. Then I am assuming we will have to take another ferry?? How long would that ferry ride be? With our two little ones, they can only handle so much.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 03:18 AM

Excellent choice! Good luck planning your trip. If you haven't already, check out the premier Abaco information forums: www.coconuttelegraph.net and www.abacoforums.com.

A few thoughts. First, if you are looking for guaranteed warm weather and warm water, Feb/March is not the optimal time for that (though you may be lucky). While it's likely to be better weather than most people are leaving behind at home that time of year, Abaco is susceptible to the same cold fronts that hit Florida this time of year, and chances are you'll have a few chilly days in a week. Best to be prepared for that (I simply limit my trips to the April-November time frame).

While the weather is not perfect this time of year, it is nevertheless high season in the Bahamas (more a function of what people are escaping). Lodging rates will be higher this time of year. While I don't know whether you can get a place within your budget (you won't know til you try!), you should be aware of the rate dynamic. Of course, with the US economy being in the shape it is, there might be deals to be had.

Be aware that most of Abaco's cays have both a windward (Atlantic) side, and a leeward (See of Abaco) side. If you are looking for calm water for your kiddies, be sure to be on the leeward side, as the Atlantic side can have heavy surf and current, just like any other Atlantic beach on the US east coast. Treasure Cay, Tahiti Beach on Elbow Cay, and Gillam Bay on Green Turtle Cay are examples of calm water beaches where you might find places to stay. You'll probably want to stay on one of the cays, and not in Marsh Harbour, which doesn't have beaches.

Unless your trip already includes Harbour Island, it definitely complicates life to try to get from there to the Abacos -- since you really can't without returning to Nassau or chartering a plane. The easiest way to get to the Abacos is via Miami (American Eagle) or Ft. Lauderdale (Continental/Gulfstream, or numerous commuter carriers) to Marsh Harbour (MHH) or Treasure Cay (TCB); a lesser alternative is via Nassau using BahamasAir (which is notoriously unreliable). Once you get to MHH or TCB, you'll need to ferry to one of the cays, which is a short and easy trip. There is no inter-Out-Island air service, and only very limited ferry service between the groups (but extensive service within the Abacos).

Hope this isn't information overload. Let me know if you have more questions.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 03:19 AM

Oops, gave you a wrong address for the second Abaco forum I listed. It should be www.abacoforum.com.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 03:40 AM

Great advice Callalou. I don't know if any of the major carriers still fly into MHH from West Palm Beach but we found that change to be much easier in the past than MIA or FLL if it is possible.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 04:29 AM

Callaloo gives excellent advice. If I may add to it:

Fly into Treasure Cay if you pick there, don't fly into Marsh Harbor, as it's a long expensive ride to Treasure Cay. So whichever you pick, make sure you use the right airport. Both airports can be reached from either Ft. Lauderdale on Continental, or Bahamas Air from Nassau. I don't know where you're coming from, but JetBlue flies into Nassau, and with kids is the best way to go-tv's on every seat (with Nick and Cartoon and Disney). From Nassau on Bahamas Air it's only a 30 minute flight at most.

I took my then 2 year old and stayed at Treasure Cay. The beach there is gorgeous. You can rent golf carts, which kids will love, there is a cluster of small shops and a sprinkle of restaurants there. The beach is very kid friendly, 3 miles of calm crystal clear turquoise water. There is a marina there, excellent for boat trips to Elbow Cay and Guana Cay, which my daughter loved. We saw dolphins swimming and the lighthouse on Elbow and strolled the beautiful little town at Elbow Cay. At Guana Cay we hung out at Nippers, colorful! Tahiti Beach is probably one of the nicest beaches, it's on Elbow Cay, but it is a little off the beaten path.
Feb. -March is still peak season in Caribbean and Bahamas. If you are on a budget, you may want to hold off until May, when prices drop.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 05:36 AM

Definitely read/absorb the two forums that Callaloo recommended. There is a resource link on the second forum that is very useful:

www.abacoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23

This is a link to a property management company on Green Turtle Cay. It should give you an indication of the overall rental rates. Keep in mind that this is one cay. There are also rentals on Treasure, Great Guana, and Elbow.

www.abacoislandrentals.com/propertiesmap.html

On our first trip I started looking at places on Treasure. Changed to Elbow and ended up staying on Lubbers, which I consider too limited for children. Have fun planning.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 01:00 PM

That seems like a lot of travel time with 2 small children to me. If you're staying for a while or don't mind it, it sure sounds lovely.

Good luck.

Trish
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 08:10 AM

It has been several years, but there are flights from Ft. Lauderdale and perhaps West Palm to Marsh Harbor. I would definitely recommend Elbow Cay as family friendly. The beaches are great, there are bicycle rentals for the kids and adults. The restaurants are very reasonable, as well.Try elbowcayrentals.com (Jane Patterson or Carrie Cash). They have an abundance of rentals in all price ranges. The Albury ferry from Marsh Harbor to Hopetown is about 20 minutes. You will love it.