Search

great exuma

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2007, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great exuma

my wife and i are planning to go to great exuma in august for 4 days as a second honeymoon. What should we do? where stay? What is best way to get there from Vharlotte nc. Thanks
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 04:51 PM

The Four Seasons is currently the nicest place there. I have not stayed there, but hear it's lovely. I know there are a few other small places...some being redone. As for airfare, there are directs out of a few florida hubs (FLL and Miami). The other option is through Grand Bahama.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 05:58 PM

USairways may fly to Great Exuma from Charlotte, I think they fly "in Season". If not, you'd have to go through Ft. Lauderdale, or Nassau.

Four Seasons is gorgeous. A little more budget, yet comfortable and fun, check out Palm Bay Beach Club or Club Peace and Plenty. C P&P has a water taxi back and forth to Stocking Island, which is stunning. They also have a hamburger shack with drinks there.

You can rent a boat (with captain) from Starfish, and explore all the cays-with beaches getting prettier and prettier the more you explore.

If there on a Sunday-Chat N Chill has an excellent pig roast all day-ferries from behind the government building.

Four Seasons is a little out of the way of the "hub". If you choose 4S, then about 10 minutes away is CoCo Plum Beach, gorgeous beach, great for sand dollars, and excellent restaurant on the beach.

Old Jun 17th, 2007, 04:33 AM

My impression is that the snorkeling off-beach in Exuma isn't terrific. Correct? Thanks.
(rob-- you're tempting me to a second honeymoon)
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 12:03 PM

We started going to Great Exuma in 1970 and have been over 20 times. I would recommend staying at Club Peace and Plenty in town where the "action" is. Four seasons is the posh resort on the island but far from town. People staying there were complaining about the $70 cab fare to town and back. P&P has three larger themed suites, Colonial, Caribbean and African which are very nice. No beach but they do have a pool and pool bar and run a shuttle to Stocking Island which a poster above said. Stocking island is lovely. P&P has a free managers cocktail party on Fri. Also at the Two Turtles in town there is a fri night BBque with a band. Sat there is a dance at P&P. Monday night Diners cocktail party. Not a lot of dining choices on Great Exuma. Perhaps the best is the P&P Bonefish lodge. P&P provides shuttle service. Exuma is not like Nassau or Freeport. It's like going back 20 years in time and not very developed which is part of the charm. Snorkeling off the beach is not very good so I usually take a snorkel trip. You might also consider Providenciales in the Turks and Caicos. Used to be part of the Bahamas. We normally stay at Coral Gardens where there is a very good reef right off the beach. If you e-mail me I can put you in touch with a CG condo owner--1500 Sq Ft fully loaded. Perfect for a second honeymoon. Check out www.wherewhenhow.com. US Airways flies direct from Charlotte to Provo. Probably faster than a layover in Miami. For Exuma we normally fly American to Miami and American Eagle over. [email protected] Keep in mind that August is slow saeson and some places do shut down for vacation, renovation etc.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 12:43 PM

Poss and others are correct as to the snorkeling anywhere near the FS's either by tour boat or off the beach.
It is a lovely property but you are isolated and could be on any tropical island without much natural lush growth not planted by FS's.
The food is poor to fair (the second visit visut was a mix of fair and poor but the first visit was poor).
On both trips if you are looking for rest and relaxation FS's Exuma is not the place. On one visit the social director told us there waere 75 or so children under age 12-14 and the week before about 125 but that was a school break for a number of schools in the US. On our second visit in early March there were about 50-60 children under age 12 or so. So, maybe not a place for a second honeymoon. What about Peter Island in a suite for about the same price. A lovely property but not as elegant, more rustic than FS's and will have some children. If you can get to Parrot Caye in the T&C's in 6 hours from take-ff to to arrival at hotel you might like that boutique resort. A bit more epensive but a classy opration. If you can do 5-6 nights so you get 4-4 1/2 full days you can really enjoy your second honeymoon.