Search

AA cancelled our flight to T&C

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Gin
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AA cancelled our flight to T&C

American Airlines cancelled our flight to Provo - for tomorrow. They won't be able to get us out until Sunday. We were supposed to leave on the nonstop from JFK - mechanical problems???. I'm so upset I can barely type. Two days gone for my sister and her daughter b/c they cannot extend their vacation! Ocean Club was great abot extending my husband and my stay but.....grrrrrrrrrrr
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 12:53 PM

Mechanical problems 24 + hours ahead of time and they cannot do anything to fix this problem (like get a new aircraft) by tomorrow. That sounds really odd.
I am sorry about this, especially since your sister cannot change / extend her stay. Thats really terrible. WOW I would be asking for TONS of FF miles and / or credit. FF miles you will get farther with that. Send a complaint form through the AA website and you should get at least 10,000 miles per person.
That is just crazy. GL
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 12:57 PM

That's awful, I'm so sorry for you!

Please keep us updated on this situation. I have a non-stop on AA to Provo (from Boston) in about 5 weeks. I'll be interested to see how this turns out for you.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 01:03 PM

Gin - We fly to SJU on Sunday morning. I just checked and the same flight was CXL this morning. Because of this the same flight Friday Sat and Sun are now totally full (they must have moved those PAX) I have no clue why they cancelled todays flight. The weather here / there was fine so it must be another issue. Plus the flight was just about full so it was not a lack of passenger issue.
Seems that AA is doing this a lot. I have had it happen to me once before on AA and I know it was lack of passengers. It also happened to my DH coming back from South America. Needless to say he was not very happy spending extra time at the airport at night as they did not tell him prior to this and when he checked everything was fine.
I feel for you! Its SO frustrating being at the mercy of the airlines.
Let us know what happens. At the very least I would call back talk to a supervisor and ask for First class or something. Tell them it has ruined your trip. Which it really will not because I am sure you will have a wonderful time once you arrive!!!
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Gin
Original Poster

Thank you for all your kind words. We weathered the American Airlines strike some years ago, and went back to flying American after that. I don't know if we'll go back after this. I did speak to a supervisor and she could not have been less understanding. No upgrades - nothing but "we got you on another flight". I'm beyond disgusted, but I will not let this go either. In any case, we will have a good time - once we get there.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 02:06 PM

Gin - best of luck. I feel your pain. If you don't like the attitude or answer of the person you spoke to, well I would call again and ask to speak to someone else. That airline is a mess I swear. It makes me so mad because flying to the Caribbean its the best and easiest for us, so we are kind of stuck. GL I hope you get it all worked out!
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 02:24 PM

I could be wrong, but I thought the "contract" that in a sense you sign when you purchase a ticket, states they have up to so many hours to get you to the destination. You could also see if they can put you on a connecting flight-or another airline.

I would call again, maybe even again-amazing if you get the right person, or ask for a supervisor, how they can be more helpful.

(I had problems with USAirways last time-every time I called, I got a foreign, who just acted they they were reading a script-standard answers. I finally (after 3 times) got a supervisor-she was great!)

Let us know if it changes!!!
Good luck
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Gin
Original Poster

One of the problems is that it is the begining of some of the Spring breaks so everything is booked. I have sent an email through the AA website (thank you MIM04)and now I'm going to try and pretend I'm truly on vacation. I'm drinking a beer and eating bad snacks before dinner. It's a start. Thank you all again, and I will keep you posted on any AA response, and better yet, I'll post a trip report upon our return.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 05:53 AM

Did AA Check to see if they can put you on a plane to Provo via Miami on Sat. May take a litle longer but you won't lose another day. Good luck. You'll love Provo
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 06:05 AM

Gin - hope you are doing better today! Have you checked (per HowardC) to see if you can get on a MIA flight? I guess you already asked about re-routing. There is an interesting article on cnn.com under the travel section about a woman who it took 57 hours to get across the US on AA in Dec. she is now working with DC to try to develop rules for airlines which are in favor of passengers, i.e. 3 hours max on runway, must provide food, water, clean bathrooms, etc. because of her experience and the Jet Blue fiasco apparently washington is listening. Its about time the airlines worked for the customers! Off soap box

Hope you get there ontime Sunday and I am sure you will love it. Provo is wonderful!
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Gin
Original Poster

I'm resigned to going down on Sunday, and we will stay until Tuesday. We have checked all airlines through all different cities, and short of a 2 stop flight on US Air where seating is "not available at this time", there is nothing. I'm afraid of getting stuck/bumped in Charlotte on that flight and then what? The most frustrating part of all of this is being completly at the mercy of the airline. Thanks to all for the suggestions and good wishes. We are now telling ourselves that after this fiasco, this will be our best Provo vacation ever!!
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 09:32 AM

Since when does AA fly direct from Boston to Provo? This is great news!
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 11:34 AM

Gin: That really sucks.
We flew AA last October LaGuardia > Miami > Provo. Our morning flight was canceled on the way back (mechanical problems). I'm usually pretty good at checking flight schedules but didn't that time. Thank goodness, the hotel front desk called us the night before to tell us. We called AA right away and were put on another AA flight that afternoon. Well, not everyone on our flight got on. There was a young couple on their honeymoon who simply took the front desk's word that they were on the next flight.
We all got to the airport and the flight was full. They were forced to stay another night at their expense (we told them to write to AA to try and get money back but don't know if they did that).
Anyway, the AA people on the ground were not particularly helpful. We let them use our cell phone and suggested options, but to no avail. I guess getting stuck in Provo an extra day is not so bad, but it was a problem for them.. work issues and the cost..
I wish you a great time in Provo even though it's shortened.