Whistler in February questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2003, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It might seem odd to ask about ski conditions in February, but I've read a lot of warnings that Whistler often has bad weather. Is this true even in February?? My friend and I (from NY) are planning a February ski trip, and we have narrowed our choice to Whistler or Vail. I have heard wonderful things about Whistler, but the weather issue concerns me a bit.

Also, second question: The week that we have off is President's Day week in the US (Feb 16-21), and I'm sure most American resorts will be flooded with families and kids off of school that week. Is there any sort of Canadian holiday that week? Will Whistler be any more crowded that week than any other prime winter week?

Thanks very much for any assistance!
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 02:46 PM

Many Seattle families may be in Whistler during this week.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 06:36 PM

We've skied Whistler the past two Presiden'ts Day weekends and the crowds have not been bad. We've had rain at the bottom (drizzle), fog midway, snow up top and bright sunshine - never freezing cold. Given the exchange rates now, Whistler is still a good deal; you won't pay $70/day lift tickets there guaranteed. we've flown in to Seattle and then taken the sea to sky highway - once stayed halfway; always taken the red-eye home (midwesterners). More of a laid back atmosphere than Vail for sure.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 03:22 PM

Last year was a horrible year for snow anywhere in North America, be it Whistler or Vail. Both have high-end snow-making equipment if Mother Nature isn't cooperative. No, there is not a holiday in B.C. in Feb. but I think you'll find lots of Americans make their way north to take advantage of their holiday. Whistler has been the #1 rated ski resort in North America for the last few years or so, and I like everything about the runs and resort (except for the prices - I pay in CAD $)We go to Whistler at least once or twice every winter and once every summer (I almost, almost, like it better in the summer). I search out the deals - try www.whistler.com to start. You might want to consider helicoptering your way from either Vancouver harbour or Vancouver Int'l Airport via HeliJet - they just started to include Whistler as a destination - www.helijet.com. Have fun.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 04:15 PM
wow

Feb 16-20 is Spring Break for a lot of Canadian universities.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 09:59 PM
ALF

We will be at Whistler during President's Week, 2004. I have skied Whistler in February at least 10 times in the last 20 years, and it is usually a good time of year. As pointed out in another reply, the lower elevations can be rainy and the snow slushy. You will find that most Whistler/Blackcomb skiers spend all day at high elevation, then descend to the base via one of the lifts. If you ski all week, the odds are good that a day or two of decent quality powder can be had, again, in the upper reaches.

The snow can be better-quality at Vail, but for my money, the overall experience, variety of terrain, and higher proportion of people there to actually ski, makes Whistler a better choice. Of course, it helps that I live in driving distance to Whistler!

This is certainly a prime week, and will be more crowded than most other times (except Christmas/New Years). Still, Whistler & Blackcomb are so big, they can absorb an awful lot of people. Even on Saturday of President's Day weekend last year, the Peak Chair on Whistler only had a 10 minute max wait.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 10:02 PM
ALF

One good place to look for lodging at Whistler is Allura Direct (http://www.alluradirect.com/), a broker for people who own vacation property.