Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Whistler in December - Creekside and other questions

Nov 7th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Jeanine

My husband and I will be going to Whistler for the first time in early December. We're thinking of staying in Creekside because we figured that would be easy, uncrowded access to the mountains, but I don't really know.

*If we stay in Creekside (we're thinking about Legends), will we be able to easily walk to skiing? I heard there was a gondola, but I'm not sure how that works.
*Are lift tickets applicable for all mountains in Whistler or just one?
*Would you suggest flying into Seattle and renting a car or flying into Vancouver and getting a shuttle or some other form of transfer?

Thanks for your help!

Nov 7th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Roxane

I have stayed both at Creekside and Whistler Village and Creekside can be just as crowded as far as lines go. You can access both mountains, even if you stay at Creekside. You just have to ski down to the base of Whistler to access the Blackcomb gondola. Lift tickets should be for both mountains. As far as Creekside goes, I'm not sure where Legends is, but from what I do remember, most condos require a bit of a walk to access the gondola. Unless you have a car, you are not really close to the nightlife, restaurants, etc. of Whistler Village. As far as flying to Seattle or Vancouver, the drive from Seattle is about 4 1/2 hours, and from Vancouver it's about 1 1/2 hours. You might want to rent a car regardless. Hope some of this is useful to you. Have fun.

Nov 8th, 2002, 12:13 PM
ALF

Legends is literally at the Creekside Gondola Base. If there is enough snow, you can ski right to the door of the Lodge (http://ww1.whistlerblackcomb.com/acc...ends/index.htm).

Creekside is quieter and smaller than the main village, and that is nice if you are not big on night life. The issue of uncrowded access is not a big one. Most skiers leave the base areas in the morning and never return until the end of the day. Particularly in early December, the snow may not be very good at lower elevations, so you will be taking the Creekside Gondola up in the morning, then heading off to the higher parts of Whistler. You may even have to download onto the gondola at the end of the day.

You can also get over to Blackcomb just by skiing from the top of Creekside Gondola to Whitler's main base. From there you can take a lift (Excaliber?) onto Blackcomb.

Have a great time!

Nov 10th, 2002, 11:16 AM
waverley

With regard to flying into Seattle or Vancouver, it also depends on where you are coming from. We chose to fly into Seattlebecause we could use frequent flyer miles to get there but not to Vancouver. We can fly direct to Seattle and not have to change planes as we would have to do to get to Vancouver, so it amounts to almost the same traveling time. We would have to change in Chicago and in winter you always face the possibility of weather-related delays when changing in Chicago.
If you fly into Vancouver, you could get a shuttle. You don't need a car once you are in Whistler, so you need to look at how much the shuttle will cost as opposeed to renting a car and paying for parking in Whistler.

Nov 11th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Carol

We stayed in Village North - a short walk thru the village to the lifts or they had a shuttle; ticket is good at Blackcomb and Whistler Mountain; We skied down to Creekside one day; you only have one lift out of there so it did get crowded. I'd stay in the Village again. We flew into Seattle - about half the cost of a Vancouver flight. The drive up was great - however, driving back for a red-eye home was horrible. Need to find another transportation alternative next time!

Nov 11th, 2002, 02:17 PM
A.M.

Jeanine,
If you stay at Creekside you will need a car to get around after the slopes close and if you don't ski, it is a long walk along the highway to the center of town. Creekside is the oldest area in Whistler/Blackcomb and the first area you come into from Vancouver. Intrawest is currently upgrading the base area. The Legends is a newer complex, next to the lifts. I have not stayed there but have walked around and it looks very nice.
For ease and accessability of apres ski activity, I suggest you stay in the Village or (my preference) on Blackcomb. These 2 areas are within very short walking distance of each other and the many restaurants, etc. in Whistler.
We always stay at THE ASPENS, which is a great complex on Blackcomb slopeside,(websitewww.whistlerpremier.com)
The drive from Seattle seems very long but doable. Depending on where you are flying in from you might want to spend the nite in Seattle, and drive up the next day. If you wish to not have a car, I suggest flying into Vancouver and taking the Perimeter bus from the airport or downtown. There is also a train from North Vancouver.
There is a GREAT hotel right in the Vancouver airport, it is a FAIRMONT. We like to stay there on arrival and the night before departure because we fly from the southern states and it takes most of the day to get to Vancouver.
I hope I have helped.
A.M.