Whistler B&B?

Old Jan 7th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whistler B&B?

Can anyone recommend a decent B&B in or near Whistler? We will have a car so won't mind driving if a good place is just out of town. Thanks for any tips!
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 04:21 PM
ALF

We once stayed at Chalet Luise (http://www.chaletluise.com/), which I think of as more of a small lodge, as opposed to a B&B. Very nice, a little pricey, but beautiful and comfortable.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 09:29 AM

try www.whistlerinn.com . Cheers, Al
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips WhistlerAl - unfortunately they're booked for the dates we'll be there. =( Any recommendations on a decent place to stay? We've checked out alluredirect but I've found various ratings on the condos from tripadvisor, so I'm not sure what to pick. We need accomodations for two people - a studio preferably with hot tub & free parking. We'll have a car so we're willing to stay outside of Whistler if it will be cheaper, but from my research so far it seem slike the prices are the same...
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 08:54 AM

Hi Angela,
How about staying in a condo? www.whistlervacations.net has a one and a two bedroom condo at Northstar right in the village. I have personally viewed both of these units and can vouch for their condition. They both have been upgraded and are in very good condition. They have a nice pool and shared hot tub, underground parking, and you can walk to everything in the village easily. Rates start at $89 a night depending on when you will be here. Cheers, Al
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

WhistlerAl - I appreciate your help! However after clicking on the link you provided, at which site did you find those prices? I found a condo unit at Stoney Creek Northstar on alluradirect for $150/night.

I'm wondering though if it's a good idea to stay right in the village - does it get rowdy at night? We're going to be there from 3/16-3/22 - right in the midst of spring break time & want to make sure we have a relaxing trip. We're wondering whether to stay around the Whistler Village or Blackcomb - what would you recommend? It's just me and my husband, & we're both snowboarders so we don't mind walking a bit to the lifts.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 08:12 AM
LJ

Had dinner last night with a friend who just spent a week in Whistler with her extended family: 10 people/all ages from 1 year to 60 years. They stayed right in the town in a rented condo/chalet style accomodation and did not find it rowdy at night as long as they stayed away from the bars that are clearly meant for letting off steam after a day of extreme skiing/snowboarding.

She did say it is expensive to eat every meal out (captive audience and all that) and strongly advised a kitchen and a trip to the supermarket on the way in. They had a lot of fun and are going as a family again next year.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip LJ. We definitely want to rent a condo with a kitchen - I was initially checking out B&B just to see rates since we usually eat dinner out. It seems the cheapest is around $150/nite.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 09:19 AM
LJ

Judging by what my pal said about meals out in Whistler, that condo price will more than pay for itself. For example, if you elect to have all breakfasts for two for a week in your condo, you will according to her, save approximately $140-$160. That's one night right there! They ended up staying in and taking turns cooking for 4 out of 5 of their dinners. Now, it is different for a couple versus a whole gang, but you get the point...
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 03:04 PM
ALF

It can get rowdy if you stay in the central village. If you want it quieter, I would suggest staying in the 'Upper Village' or at the Creekside base.

We like to stay slopeside on Blackcomb (Woodrun, Cedar Creek, Greystone) which is far enough from the village that you can get a good night's sleep. It is also just a few steps to where you can ski down to the Blackcomb lifts. From there, you can head up Blackcomb, or get off at the mid-station and ski over to Whistler. And, it is still a fairly short walk to the center of the Village.

Creekside is miles from Whistler Village, and a great place to stay if you want to avoid most of the crowds. Powderview or Gondola Village are less than a block from the Creekside Gondola, which takes you halfway up Whistler. It will take a while to get over to Blackcomb, but you can still do it.

The last option is to stay in the 'North Village', which is a little further from the 'downtown' action of the Village. Some of the more inexpensive options are here, primarily because it is a long-ish walk (several blocks) to the Whistler lifts. Check out Whistler Town Plaza, Marketplace Lodge, and Market Pavilion for comparatively good deals.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Alf- thanks again for your tips! I've been consistenly checking condos on alluradirect and we have narrowed it down to either staying in Creekside (at ~$150/nite) or the Marketplace Lodge ($129/nite). Have you stayed at the Marketplace before? I'm being cautious b/c I've read some reviews saying it wasn't that great... Also, do you know if it's relatively easy to find parking in the whistler village in the evening - or is there a free shuttle from creekside?
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:01 PM
ALF

I have indeed stayed at the Marketplace. It is certainly nothing special, but the rooms are clean and well-equipped for cooking and dining. There is no pool (although I'm pretty sure that you get rights to use a pool at an adjacent location), but there is a smallish hot tub on the 2nd floor. This location is very close for restaurants and stores. The grocery store is right next door, so you can always run over and buy more food for prepping in your condo.

As I mentioned earlier, it is a longish walk to the lifts in ski boots. I'd suggest carrying your boots, and putting your walking shoes in a locker at the gondola base. A more costly option would be to leave your equipment at the ski check at the Whistler base. Another option for the truly lazy would be to drive to a day parking lot. We like the lot located above the Blackcomb gondola mid-station.

There is a shuttle between Creekside and Whistler Village, but it is not free. I don't remember the fare, but it was pretty inexpensive. Not that long ago, Creekside was rather bereft of services, but it has recently developed a nice little village of its own.

Finding free parking in Whistler Village is challenging. You would need to park in one of the big overnight lots on the edge of the village and then walk in; not that big a deal. In the village proper, it will cost you to park in metered parking. They patrol parking areas constantly, you WILL get a ticket if you park where you shouldn't or if you overstay a meter.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Alf - Thanks for all the tips. We ended up booking a nice studio at North Star.