Which Toronto Restaurant?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to take my hubby for a nice, romantic yet not too pricey dinner for his b-day. I'm looking at spending about $100-$150 for the 2 of us. So far, I'm thinking the following:
1. Avalon
2. La Maquette
3. Mistura
4. Senses
We eat just about anything, and are more interested in a nice dining experience, with good tasting food being number one. Any help on these options, or even others I haven't considered, would be great! Thanks!
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 10:21 AM

I'm not familiar with the restaurants you have listed, but my absolute favorite restaurant in Toronto is Barbarians. It is right off of Yonge Street across from the Delta Chelsea Hotel. Great steaks and wonderful wine list, very yummy food. The prices are reasonable and you get huge portions for the price. The other restaurant that I really like is Tom Jones Steakhouse, but that is much pricier, no prices on the menu, but the food is to die for!
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 10:30 AM

Hi Taia,

Avalon is very good as is La Maquette; I haven't tried the other restaurants. Of the first two choices, I would say that La Maquette is a little more romantic. Another favourite of mine is Mildred Pierce - it's a pretty restaurant especially when the roses are in bloom outside and the food has been consistently good whenever I've been.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 02:28 PM
BAK

I think you'll have a budget problem at Avalon, but I'll check.

And Senses is, perhaps,undergoing a transformation. It apparently is now in the Soho Metropolitan hotel/condo south fo the entertainment district. I was in the otehr day, and it looked like a very expensive coffee shop and semi-deli, with a lot of good looking candies on sale.

Perhaps the original is still on Bloor Street, and the Sohgo is just a branch.

Friedns ate at la Maquette a while ago and said it was good, buyt it was a business dinner, not romantic.

I'd suggest you take a good look at Oro, on Elm Street, near Church. (same as Barbarien's)Oro has excellent, sophoisticated food, great service, and is my favorite fancy restaurant. I'd take someone there for a romantic dinner.

About Barbarian's: I had a romantic dinner there 18 years ago and still remember the dinner, the woman, the birthday present (now-lost Mont Blanc pen) and even the wrapping. So it's not a bad place to go, if you like steaks.

BAK
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 05:12 PM
BAK

I have now been to read the menu at Avalon.

There are per person special meal packages at $100 and $140 per person.

Going to the regular menu, you'll have trouble ordering an appetizer, main course and dessert for under $120 for two, then add in some coffee and some wine, and then 30 percent for the two taxes and a tip, and you'll be over $200.

So if you want to relax and eat well and not worry about the budget, this may not be the place for you.

On the other hand, if you're willing to change the budget and relax and savor the meal, well, it'll be a birthday you'll both remember for years.

BAK
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 06:28 PM

Hi, Taia--why the hell can't anybody spell Barberian's, including the perfectly reliable BAK?--but we all know that Kilgore can't spell or keyboard. You may rely on the fact that you will not get out of any of your favourites for for $Cdn 150. or anything close to it. From your other postings, you seem inclined to things Italian; you may want to seek out a trattoria with which Toronto is rife; our favourite is Via Olivetto at 37-something Bloor W (near Spadina). Or Oro isn't a bad choice--it will run you up against your limit, though. Le Select for "bistro" and well within your limit.

DES