Favourite Toronto Restaurant?

Old Dec 18th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favourite Toronto Restaurant?

Do any of you have a favourite restaurant in Toronto?? What is extra-special about it??
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 02:01 PM
BAK

For fancy,...

Oro, on Elm Street, just east of Bay Street.

Serious chef who works bvery hard to combine flavors to make a memorable meal. Excellent serving staff. Kitchen and room staff both take food sriopusly and appreciate it when custoemrs want a particulalry good meal, and are willing to discuss it as it progresses.

Swiss Chalet; best food for the lowest prices with decent service. When you do the final math, this may be the best restaurant in Toronto.

Select Bistro, when I want to go to Paris, need serving staff who speak English, and don't want to take an airplane. I just go there. Queen Street West, between Peter and Spadina.

Hot House Cafe, Front Street East at Church Street. Reasonable prices, resonable service, decent steaks, excellent pizza, kid-friendly, nice decor. I used to eat there so often I had my own table, but then I moved. But this is not a place for out-of-towners looking for the best overall dining experience in Toronto.

BAK
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 02:48 PM

Lai Wah Heen - the dim sum is sublime!
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 06:24 PM
wow

Le Select Bistro for the exact reasons that BAK has mentioned! I've been going there for almost 24 years!
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 05:30 AM

Just read in this morning's Globe and Mail that Jamie Kennedy has opened up a new restaurant. Actually it's a wine bar, quite small, with only 25 tables. He is such an amazing chef - in the days when he owned and ran the Palmerston, it was the best restaurant around. This one will probably be just as wonderful.
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 08:50 PM

I also love Le Select Bistro, but Byzantium (Church & Wellesley) might nose out Select on steak frites. Select knocked out my wine snob friends from the UK.

Other favourites: Kalendar on College St W (romantic, affordable); Pho Hung (Bloor location) for Saturday lunch during Bloor/Annex shopping or when studying for exams at U of T; Spring Rolls (either Front St or Yonge St location) when six of you crave Asian food but each wants a different type (Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, etc.).
Old Dec 24th, 2003, 05:59 AM

Most of previous suggestions are good but have not included the "high-end" places if budget is not an issue.
- North 44 continues to be my favourite - great food and professional service
- Susur - a great chef, previously rated as 1of top ten globally
- Canoe - not on my favourite list but good food with a great view form the 54th floor of TD Centre
- Scaramouche - great food with good view of downtown Toronto as it sits on hillside in an aprtment building
- Truffles in the Four Seasons Hotel. never been but people enjoy
- Pangaea on Bay St - one that I enjoy although it rarely gets listed in "top ten lists" - good food, good wine list, attentive service and some of Toronto's best desserts.

- A more moderate place (C$120 for two) is Cafe Brussel - great musssles in a beautiful art deco room.

Enjoy!
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 11:54 AM

Lemon Meringue in Bloor West Village is high on my personal favourites list. The neighbourhood is quaint, the restaurant is small and the food is amazing! As the name would imply, save room for dessert--the gourmet pastries reminded me of France.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 12:05 PM
BAK

Joanne kates, Toronto's most critical restaurant critic, wrote a piece on the weekend listing her "top ten" meals of 2003. Try www.globeandmail.com and search for it.

But, the list:

Jamie Kennedy Wine Bar, Pastis, Susur, Bymark, Pangaea, Hiro, Niagara Street Cafe, Lemon Meringue, Perigee, and Senses.

As I look at the list, I see how far out of it I am. Never eaten at any of them.

BAK

Old Dec 29th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

BAK - There's always 2004 to get "with it!" Took you recommendation and ate with the kids at Hot House Cafe. Pretty good for lunch and very kid firendly - Thanks.

Out of the ten, I am also sad to say that I have only been to Hiro which was pretty good, but not, IMO, worthy of top ten in TO.

Must try Lemon Meringue. I have heard from several people that it is really great. Anyone heard anything about the new restaurant Xaphire on Eglinton Avenue West?
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 09:50 AM

I was just doing a search on Xaphire since I am going there tonight for dinner. Friends of mine say it is fantastic. I will post about our experience tomorow.

If you want fantastic food try the Town Grille on Carlton just at Parliament or Verveine on Queen East by Pape,

I don't remember who was on about steak frites but you wont be dissapointed at either.

Brunch at Verveine is one of my favorite things like brown paper packages tied up with string there is just something about it that is right.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 08:29 PM

Xaphire -- Just got back from dinner there. An interesting experience. In a nutshell the food was really very good and the service attentive. I would not recomend going there if you are in a big hurry. My date and I arrived at 7:30 to meet some friends. Our server greeted us promptly and took our drink orders....alas they did not show for 40 minutes. Our group was about 10 people. Everyone was very happy with their food. My date and I shared the chicken spring rolls wich were not out of this world and a two person serving of Lemongrass Soup with Shrimp that was very enjoyable. For main courses she had the Crispy Noodles with chicken and I had the Xaphire steak (on recomendation of our waiter) Georges DeBeouf Beaujolais was our wine of choice for dinner. I am not really sure what happend but by 9:30 our food had not arrived. Our server came by to replenish water and top up wine glasses as necessary and appologized for the delay in our meal. We brought us complimentary calimari and when a further delay occured complimentary shrimp chips and peanut sauce. I have to admit the wait was worth it. The Xaphire steak (blue) did not disappoint. It melted like butter in my mouth and the crispy noodle chicken was really good if a tad cold. I also had occasion to sample the spicey beef (medium) with crunchy green beans that was very good as well. For dessert we split deep fried bananas. How can you go Thai and not? Like I said, if you have time to kill and good company to spend it with then Xaphire is a great spot to pass an evcning. Trendy decor and attentive staff (the manager came over to explain that Charles prepares each meal fresh and that is why the delay). The bottom line is two apps, two mains, two before dinner drinks, a bottle of wine and a shared desert $94.94 plus tip..... and yes I would go back.

PS. if it is -20 out like it was tonight make sure anyone who gets cold wears an extra sweater. The front of the restaurant is glass and as a result it's kind of chilly.

Thanks and happy eating
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 10:48 PM

As far as economy eating goes (it is the only eating I know), the Green Mango gets my vote. Take out is right next to the Brass Rail (haven't been!) and you get a huge, delicious meal for less then seven bucks. Can't be beat, IMHO.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 09:06 AM

Check out Winterlicious - it runs from January 30 - February 12 and many local restaurants are participating. They will be offering lunches and dinners at fixed prices ranging from $10 - $30 (depending on the restaurant). It's on the city of Toronto website, or you can do a search for Winterlicious on Google.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 05:26 AM

My favorite is a quirky new place called Laide Lounge at 138 Adelaide Street East. It is not your typical Toronto Lounge in that the menu is first rate. The chef from Bloom (via Foccacia) oversees their kitchen and designs the menu. He comes in almost everynight to make sure the cooks are delivering up to his standard. What you end up with is a dish that you would get elsewhere for $25 and here everything is under $15..
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 07:02 PM

Just had dinner at the Ultra Supper Club on Queen St.W. and found it to be a great experience that wasn't overpriced and offered great food. This is located at the old Bamboo(next to LUSH) and is not marked by signs. It was close in quality to my old favorite N.44 degrees, but only 3/4 of the price... have fun
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 07:10 PM

Pink Pearl
Chinese
120 Avenue Road
VERY clean, food is always perfect!
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 11:39 AM

Just tried a new place called THUET Cuisine on King Street right beside Susur's new place Lee. It is a fine dining French restaurant with all of the menu ingredients that you would expect; truffles, foie gras plus some that you would not like bison carpaccio. The place is owned by Chef Marc Thuet (formerly of Rosewater, The Fifth, Centro) and his wife. It is Fine Dining but not overly stuffy, they have a long bar that you can sit at and drink wine while being server free "bar snacks". Dont worry we are not talking about peanuts here... they bring out traditional Alsation French snacks: breads, dips and an amazing phyllo pizza dish.

The menu is pris-fixe and expensive but I say it is worth it, the food tasted amazing. I had the Skate stuffed with salmon mousse and it was wonderful. The menu changes every month (see the website: http://www.thuet.ca/menu.asp)