Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto Restaurants: Which One of These?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be spending a few days in Toronto next week (Sun-Wed). There are a few restaurants I always wanted to try (but couldn't afford as a grad student). Anyone been to any of the following and have an opinion on which one we should try?

-Canoe
-Pangaea
-Sassafraz
-Scaramouche
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

This is hunnym again - forgot to mention that if anyone has any suggestions for restaurants in Chinatown, we're open to that for another night (does not need to be as upscale as the previous list). Thank you!!!
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 10:03 AM

I work steps away from Canoe and have eaten there quite often. The food portions are good and the view is wonderful. It's on the 54th Floor of one of the buildings collectively known as the TD centre.

The food at Pangaea is also good, but thats about it.

I've also eaten at both Sassafraz and Scaramouche but not within the past 12 months so I can't comment.

Other newer upscale restaurants I've recently visited and which are near to some of those you've mentioned are : Jamie Kennedy's wine bar, Susur (and the very likable sister 'Lee' next door) and Bymark.

In chinatown, the best (by reputation) eatery is the restaurant in the Metropolitan hotel. I can't remember it's name but their dim-sum and other dishes are great.

'Swatow' and 'Lee Garden' also come to mind.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 10:15 AM
BAK

I've eaten several times at Bright Pearl, on the wst side of Spadina, a couple of blocks north of Dundas, several times with my most demanding foodie friend.

He's a graduate of the Culinary institute of America, and he likes the place.

Got talking to a stranger the other day; he seemed to know what he was talking about and had very good things to say about Susur, but the point we were discussing included how you had to pay serious attention to the food. It was not a place to have an enjoyable discussion, because it distractd too much from the work of eating and enjoying.

the metropolitan Hotel with the Chinese restaurant is the "real" Metrooplitan on chesnut, behind Toronto City Hall.

The other Metropolitan, the Soho, has Sen5es (5 on purpose, not my bad typing) and this is perhaps Toronto's most expensive restaurant.

Sassafraz may be more of a see and be seen place than a gourmet deloight; but it's good regardless.

Avalon, which would have been on a list, is closed.

BAK

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 10:45 AM

You'll probably come away happy from all of them but Scaramouche is my favourite - I had the best meal I've ever had there, however, I'm not a foodie.

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 11:35 AM
wow

Another vote for Scarmouche. What about Auberge du Pommier?
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all for your replies!

I will report back.
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Turns out that we did not get around to visiting ANY of the places I had originally mentioned - ended up at a friends' for dinner one night, too tired another night, etc. etc.

Just a brief mention of restaurants we did pop into - more because we were in the immediate vicinity than for any other reason:

1) East on Queen St. W. for lunch. Pan-Asian which I enjoyed, but not authentic enough for my husband. Inexpensive and trendy-looking.

2) Spring Rolls on Dundas for another lunch. Same as above; I think they're owned by same folks.

3) The Courtyard (?) in Yorkville. Great Hungarian food.

4) Oro on Elm Street - Not bad; my husband really enjoyed the short ribs.

We also grabbed a crepe for one lunch at a tiny place on Bloor across from the ROM. That was a little disappointing, actually.

Will have to return to Toronto as I still want to try at least one of those restaurants!
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 09:47 AM

"The Courtyard" is actually called the Coffee Mill. I'm assuming your referring. to the lovley patio in the courtyard area of the restaurant.