Which hotel in downtown Vancover

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 ladies will be in vancover May 23 - May 26, What hotel in a 4 star catogary and in the downtown section, and what do you think the iternary should be
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 02:06 PM
hdm

We enjoyed Hotel Le Soleil on Hornby. It's a small suite hotel, quite elegantly decorated and in a good, central location.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 03:30 PM

Hello RuthLee,

Here's a suggested itinerary:

http://groups.msn.com/CalgaryandCana...vancouver.msnw
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Judy for the suggested itinerary. I have come up with a list of hotels. Sutton Place Hotel,Listel Vancover,Wedgewood and the Hyatt. Has anyone stayed at these hotels, or perhaps suggest another. We are looking for a hotel centrally located that is in a good area and lives up to its 4 star rating
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 09:07 AM

RuthLee, for me proximity to and a view of the water is important so when I used to stay in Vancouver before our current apartment situation, I would choose the Westin Bayshore. However it is not in the downtown core. I have stayed at the Listel and wouldn't have thought it a four star hotel, rather a good three star. No view, good location on Robson for first-time visitors, good but not excellent rooms. Stayed at the Wedgewood many years ago and loved it. Can definitely recommend it (but no water view!)

You might want to look at the Waterfront Hotel (guess why? it's lovely), the Metropolitan, and, perhaps Opus (haven't stayed at the latter two, but have heard good things). I've also stayed at the grande dame herself, the Hotel Vancouver, and liked it.

Staye
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 07:13 PM

The Sutton Place is lovely. Good location, nice rooms, good service. It would be my top choice among those you listed. I've never had good service at the Westin Bayshore, I regret to say.

The Hyatt is in a good location. They are currently renovating the rooms (at last!) but they are a rather corporate-appearing hotel.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 04:41 PM
TahitiTams

Hi RuthLee..
I just stayed in downtown Vancouver at the Sutton Place Hotel and I must say that the Hotel was lovely but I would not stay until they upgrade their rooms to at least a 3 star..the beds are horrific, along with the linens and the rooms are in dire need of a major upgrade..(paint peeling on all doors and rusted hardware and stains on carpet and furniture)
They have been downgraded in the last month on Expedia from a 5* to a 4.5* and that is still generous.
The staff at Sutton Place is wonderful and I loved Gerards to eat and drink!
Next time we go, we will stay at the Fairmont Downtown..great central location and concierge told me that they just changed out all their beds to a Heavenly type..
Just my two cents..have a great time.

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 04:23 AM

We visited Vancouver in August and stayed 'Downtown'. But having spent 2 days there wish we had been nearer the water. The City was a bit overwhelming but felt like heaven along the harbour front.

We spent the best part of our first day at Stanley Park. We hired bikes for the morning and at a steady pace involving lots of stops to take in the views cycled around the park.

We returned the bikes at dinner (just outside the park) and then returned on foot to visit the Aquarium and the inner parts of the park during the afternnon.

On the second day we walked along the harbour front (From the park) towards Canadian Place (Think that's spelt right) where the cruise ships dock. This took up the morning as we stopped lots to soak up the sun.

After dinner we went to the Vancouver Lookout Tower (Very scary with glass external lift) and then visited some areas of China and Gas Town

Becareful in some areas of Gas Town (I think from memory Judy's website highlights the problem area).

Judy's website is excellent and helped me plan alot of our trip.

Hope this helps. PS We stayed at the Marriott Inn Downtown but as mentioned would have preferred to be nearer the harbour.

Old Dec 14th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

We are now trying to choose between the sheraton and the hyatt Regency. Which is the better hotel and better location?
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 05:31 PM

The locations won't make much of a difference - they're both in the downtown core amidst other skyscrapers equal distance from the main shopping/restaurant mecca of Robson Street. The Sheraton's about a block and a half south of Robson while the Hyatt's a block and a half north of Robson.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 07:15 AM
mvs

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Pan Pacific or the Pacific Palisades. The Pan Pacific is located at Canada Place and is right on the water. They have a wonderful bar, Cacades, which overlooks the Harbor and North Vancouver and the mountains. Their Sunday brunch is fabulous. It is me and my wife's favorite place to stay in Vancouver. (I have heard good things about the Wedgewood also). Pacific Palisades is on Robson and is a boutique hotel (part of the Kimpton Group). They have nightly wine tasting, workout facilities and an indoor pool and spa. Most rooms there are suites that have decks.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 09:07 AM

Everyone's different, but the Pan Pacific is not a favourite of mine. Yes, the rooms can have beautiful rooms but the hotel itself has a cavernous and almost institution feel. Not a fan of its main lounge, either. I'd go across the street to the Fairmont's Waterfront Hotel. Very nice.

Haven't stayed at the Pacific Palisades in many years. Good location on Robson for visitors (across the street from the Listel).
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 09:08 AM

... meant to type "the rooms can have beautiful VIEWS"...
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 11:07 AM

The Sheraton Wall Centre and the Hyatt are located right in the heart of the city. There's about a 4 block distance between the two. On the Wall Centre's side, you'd be closest to the False Creek, English Bay water side. On the Hyatt's side you're closer to Coal Harbour side – and the skytrain is located just across the street. The Wedgewood is consistently rated as one of the top "boutique-type" hotels in North America. One other option you "might" want to consider is the Coast Hotel on Denman. It's about 2 blocks from lively English Bay and Stanley Park. Situated in the West End neighbourhood there's plenty to do and you're close to everything. Remember, Vancouver is NOT a big city so you can walk to a lot of destinations. Stop. Have a cocktail, or a coffee along the way.