Search

Where to stay in Montreal - NEED HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Montreal - NEED HELP!!

Hello,
My husband & I are planning a trip to Montreal in July or August. WE are in our mid-50's, like B &B's or charming European style small hotels. We don't want to spend a lot of money on accommodations, probably around $100 or so. What is the best neighborhood to stay in? I was thinking of either Old Montreal or Quartier Latin. Has anyone stayed at, or know something about, Le Beau Soleil Du Vieux-Montral in Old Montreal? The address is 355 Rue St. Paul Est.

I was also thinking about the Hotel Le Jardin D'Antoine in Quartier Latin; the address is 2024 Rue St. Denis.

Any advice/suggestions is greatly appreciated!!

Thank you.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 04:06 AM

I really have no comments that apply but check out this very specific info thread:
Any unsafe areas in Montreal?
10 responses; most recent on 06/04/2005, 12:29 pm

Old Jun 5th, 2005, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Sobolik, Thanks for your reply. I read the posting you suggest. Because I've never been to Montreal, it is difficult to determine if Hotel Le Jardin D'Antoine is in the seedy area. It is on Rue Saint-Denis, between Sherbrooke & Ontario Streets. Does anyone know if this is a safe area? Is it the East End mentioned in the "Unsafe Area in Montreal" posting?Any thoughts on Old Montreal versus Latin Quarter?

Where is the plateau neighborhood that someone spoke of in that posting? Would that be a better choice than Latin Quarter or Old Montreal?

Any other advice/suggestions is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Old Jun 6th, 2005, 04:31 AM

Hotel Le Jardin D'Antione is not in a bad area. It is in a very busy, somewhat noisy part of St. Denis. If you want to be in the middle of the action, this is the place for you. I know someone who stayed here, and was quite happy with it. Just fyi, the St Denis area is fine once you get above St. Catherine Street, which is about the 1800 street addresses. Montreal has lots of charming b&b's and small hotels. There are some very nice ones near Parc la Fontaine, Sherbrooke East, and near Sq. St. Louis.
Of course, Old Montreal is very charming, and you would be happy there also.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Zootsie, thanks for your helpful information. You mention Parc La Fontaine, Sherbrooke East & Sq. St. Louis. What neighborhoods are these areas in? The reason I ask is that the Lonely Planet Guide breaks down Montreal into neighborhoods so I assume it will be easier for me to find lodgings in the places you mention if I know what neighborhood they are in.

Thank you so much!
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 06:42 AM

Basically, this area falls in to the Plateau, and the northern tip of the Latin Quarter. This should help:
http://www.toutmontreal.com/english/...ydistrict.html
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 09:18 AM

Hello! I would stay away from Quartier Latin. Too noisy. Your better off on the Plateau, and walk or take the metro to the Quartier Latin when you want some action.

In the Plateau area, there is a nice B&B right in front of Parc Lafontaine. http://www.aubergedelafontaine.com/
While your at it, you can eat at my favorite restaurant in town, La Brunoise, which is a 5 minute walk away. http://www.brunoise.ca

Don't hesitate to write for more info.

Have a nice trip!
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Jojonana & zootsie,
Thank you both so much. I am leaning towards the Plateau area. Jojonana, thank you for the restaurant tip. Will let you know what we decide to do. I will probably have more questions after we decide on dates of travel & book our lodgings.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 04:44 PM

Not a B&B or a charming European style hotel, but why don't you check out the Raddison in Longueuil across the river from Montreal. It sits almost above the metro which will take you quickly and cheaply to downtown and most other parts of the city. Cost you a lot less than staying downtown, and you don't need a car. Parking in Montreal if you don't read French (and even if you do) is a nightmare. Longueuil is not known for being an unsafe area.

regards
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, themop. I will check out the prices at the Radisson also. I really appreciate everyone's help. This is our 3rd trip that I am planning with the help of this forum, & I find the advice is invaluable.
Thanks!
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 01:05 AM

I know I keep saying this on this forum but check out Anne Ma Soeur Ma Soeur located directly on Rue st. Denis. In the heart of the hip district, a small boutique hotel offering great prices. We rented a double room, 2-baths for $185/night each with its own balcony. They do have murphy beds but also small fridges, stoves, etc. It was a 15 minute walk to Old Montreal and in a very safe area.