Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

What would you choose, if given the choice? Montreal Hotels.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone.
I am hoping to get some advice from those in the know. I am having hard time with making a final decision and hoping someone can help guide me in the right direction.

First, let me set the stage. At the moment I am looking to surprise my partner with a weekend get-a-way to Montreal for his birthday. While this is my maiden voyage North of the border, he has visited many times and always speaks of how much he loves the city. We currently reside in Boston.

Now, I am just going to through this out there, but one of my biggest fears is that he will be disappointed if we aren't a stone throws away from The Village. While this is definitely more his scene that mine, it is his birthday. However, I'm sure if I can find the right alternative he might not even notice. Even though I have never visited Montreal or the Village my thought is, "What is really in the village?". My impression is West Hollywood in LA or the South End (especially in older days) in Boston.

Some of the important components I am trying to keep in mind in selecting an accommodation are:

* Luxurious - Memorable Experience
* Close to everything: shopping, fun bars. We love to run around and have a good time. Young at heart (translating to us being in our 30's and 40's respectively).
* Walking distance is important, he broke his ankle a year ago and still has trouble moving around quickly.
- Willing to pay around $250 a night.

Here are my thoughts so far, I am including so you can dispute anything I may be unclear about.

* Old Town seems to far to what's happening and may be more suited towards families and the touristy set.
* Queen Elizabeth seem decent being above the train, but accommodations are dated. However, I was looking at a room on the 17th or 18th floor which seemed like they might be decent.
* Hotel Crystal - Not sure what this is really near.
* Le Germain - Again, seems like mixed reviews and not sure what's it's near.
* Opus Hotel - Mixed reviews, mostly about noise keeping people awake until 3am. When I'm ready for bed, I'm ready for bed.
* Absolutement Montreal B&B - Not sure if B&B's are our thing but is in The Village.

If by some miraculous reason you may it this far, I am going to ask advice on two quick line items.

Dinner Thoughts:
I am looking to take him out for his birthday mean to Au Pied de Cochon.

Shopping Suggestions:
Anything similar to the old Filene's Basement.

Thank you to all in advance for your responses. I will follow up after our trip to let you know what happens.

Cheers.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 11:31 AM

I like the Queen Elizabeth a lot, but it might not be where you want to be. I usually stay there when I'm in Montreal on business.

Just one point - I have never heard of Old Montreal being referred to as Old Town, except on this forum.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 10:16 AM

We loved the hotel le dauphin.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 10:20 AM

The Montreal hotel I alway recommend is the Saint Sulpice in Old Montreal.
http://www.lesaintsulpice.com/html/eng/
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 04:37 PM

We are going in December and I booked a room at the Hotel XIXe Siècle. All reviews I have found have been favorable and it looks like a lovely hotel in the pictures. Their website is:

www.hotelxixsiecle.com
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 12:17 PM

Not to high-jack here, but Tovarich can you comment on the hotel le dauphin? I dragged my feet this week making our reservations and got shut out of a few of the places that I was considering. I grabbed Hotel le Dauphin this morning as it seemed conveniently located, the breakfast was an extra perk (bagel/cereal/coffee is fine with me) and it was in the price range I wanted. Any comments/insights you offer are apprecaited.