Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Montreal and Hotel Nelligan...Two thumbs up!

Aug 16th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Judi

We just returned from Montreal - our first time there - and had a great time. We loved the people and the feeling of being safe in the city and on the metro.

The Hotel Nelligan is the best! It has been open only two months so is shiny and new; I would describe it as more chic than modern. The rooms and public areas are beautiful and the young staff is so friendly. The location is great and not noisy, on the corner of St. Paul and St. Suplice. We would definitely stay there again.

We ate well while we were there. At Bonaparte we had a great meal and a table by the window. Toque lived up to the hype; we chose the gourmet surprise and everything was wonderful. Gibby's wasn't fancy but the steaks were very good. The only meal we weren't impressed with was at Da Emma. Perhaps we just made bad choices because the restaurant was packed on Saturday night.

Montreal is a great place to visit. I'm sure we will return.

Aug 16th, 2002, 03:58 PM
Dan Timsit

Thank you for your posting. I have lived in Montreal for the past 24 years and would not want to live anywhere else.

Aug 18th, 2002, 05:11 PM
Daniel Williams

Glad you enjoyed yourself Judi. I live in Montreal and think it's an amazing city too; I'll make sure to remember Hotel Nelligan for when people ask. DAN

Aug 19th, 2002, 12:39 AM
DianeG

topping for Bea

Aug 19th, 2002, 05:37 PM

Aug 20th, 2002, 05:17 AM
Judi

Thanks, xxx. I was remiss in not giving a web site for the Nelligan. Another web site with a good description of the Nelligan is:

http://english.montrealplus.ca/profile/674048/

We talked about how pleasant it would be to live in Montreal and then we heard about the winters there! We would have to be mole people.....

Aug 20th, 2002, 05:20 AM
x

We talked about that also! And decided the best way would be if we could afford to summer in Montreal and winter in Mexico
I would be willing to try a winter there though!

Aug 22nd, 2002, 05:10 AM
DianeG

topping for Marta

Sep 5th, 2002, 06:01 PM
Sara

We just returned from a weekend stay at the Nelligan ad have run out of words to describe this place..it is FABULOUS!!! The location to die for. The rooms are incredible, the bed unbelievably comfortable, the bathroom breathtaking (we stayed in a loft suite), the restaurant wonderful and the staff, especially Lisa and Luc-friendly, helpful, outgoing, professional and made us feel right at home! WE LOVED IT!

Sep 9th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Gia

Topping for Sarah

Sep 9th, 2002, 04:33 PM
curious

With all the raves about the Nelligan, I called to get rates for rooms for this fall.
A regular room with a king size bed would be $265-CAD a night. Isn't that a little pricey?
A suite with a fireplace would be $295 a night.
Did you get special rates, or is this about what you paid.

Sep 9th, 2002, 04:50 PM
Judi

We paid about 230 CAD for a regular room but we also booked it about two weeks after it had opened so perhaps they lowered their rates in the beginning.

Business may be so good - and it should be when the word is out!- that they decided to raise their rates.

It's a wonderful hotel so you would have to decide if it's worth it to you.

Sep 10th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Michele

Hi,

We are considering the Hotel Nelligan for a November stay. I have a few questions:

1. How far is the Hotel from the metro station?

2. Do they have a breakfast included and, if so, how was it?

Thank you!!! Can't wait for our first trip to Montreal!

Michele

Sep 10th, 2002, 10:41 AM
ss

Michelle, they have a site,
www.hotelnelligan.com.
You can also call a toll free number.

Sep 10th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Judi

Michele, it was also our first trip to Montreal and we had a great time! I'm sure you will as well.

The Nelligan is about three blocks to the metro, Place d'Armes.

Breakfast consists of a nice fruit selection, several kinds of bread plus bagels, lox, cheese, ham and of course, coffee, tea and juices.

I think atrium rooms might be a bit noisy if there is a crowd in the bar. And speaking of, take advantage of the complimentary wine and fancy nibbles in the afternoons.

Dress warmly and have fun!

Sep 15th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Sara

This is in reply to "curious"..it may be pricey to Canadians, but let me tell you, this is one major deal for Americans like my husband and me. The Nelligan is not your average run of the mill place. Depending on your budget, of course, this is a place where you're staying in pampered, elegant surroundings. The outer building is from the 1800's. The location is a few steps from the Old Port, the place "to be" in Montreal. You don't need to drive around because the metro (the underground subway) is only a couple of blocks away. You're within walking distance of many attractions, including Chinatown. The Nelligan is only a half block away from the St. Lawrence River and a few steps from one of the most beautiful cathedrals we've ever seen - Notre Dame (Celine Dion got married there). We weren't planning on spending this much, but we literally fell in love with everything about this place. We were booked at another hotel and shortly after checking in, we took a cab to the Old Port to do some sightseeing. We discovered The Nelligan as we walked. We went in to make inquiries and asked, out of curiosity, to see a room. In comparison to where we were booked, for $50 more a night, we were in Paradise. And the genuine,warm, friendly personality of the young woman who showed us the room, Lisa, sold us on the Nelligan. So, in our opinion, we've been in "pricey" rooms before, but this place is worth every penny.

Oct 8th, 2002, 08:21 AM
elaine

Judi and Sara,
We are 'just about booked' at the Nelligan for Memorial Day weekend.
We've stayed (several times) at Auberge du Vieux Port (owners also own Nelligan and Place d'Armes).
Here's my questions:
Room rate for Loft Suite is $290 CAD and $265 for Superior King. To Sara: was your Loft Suite much larger than Superior King?
How was breakfast? We are very spoiled - breakfast at Auberge du Vieux Port is a full breakfast. Was the continental breakfast expansive?
Our favorite hotel is in QC - Dominion 1912 - was wondering if Nelligan is similar.
All replies appreciated!

Oct 8th, 2002, 09:28 AM
sstone

Memorial Day??? Wow you really plan ahead
Dominion would be most like the Le Germain, since it is the same owners.
From what friends tell me, Nelligan is as nice as any new hotel,not THAT special, but you will have to take a train or cab everytime you want to eat or shop out of the Vieux Port area, which they hated doing after a while.

Oct 8th, 2002, 01:53 PM
tothetop

ttt

Oct 8th, 2002, 06:31 PM
Neil

Hôtel Place d'Armes is also similar to the Dominion. I think they had the same designer. However Nelligan is definitely the place to stay in old Montreal. It has a really trendy bar and the rooms are incredible (we visited them during our stay at Place d'Armes).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO