Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Trips out of Vancouver - any day boat cruises?

Aug 23rd, 2009, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

We are considering a trip to Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver for next summer and would like to see some wildlife and hike in national parks. Is there a good day trip on a boat that does whale watching, or a day trip to see a magnificent forest? I have also heard there are some good excursions to wineries. Thanks for your good suggestions.
Aug 23rd, 2009, 06:00 PM

There are numerous whale watching tours out of Victoria. There are numerous wineries north of Victoria, near mill bay and Duncan. I'm sure there are tours. How much time will you have?
Aug 24th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Thought we'd do 2 nights on Victoria and 3 or more in Vancouver...perhaps drive up to Whistler. Return to Seattle where we have a friend we wish to visit. Entire trip 9 days. Just in the early planning stages.
Sep 19th, 2009, 11:09 AM

[Vancouver] North Shore Mount for short day and 1/2 day hikes.

My favorite [on a good day] is the Mystery Lake hike! This person has captured why I will never forget the first time I hiked it.

http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...topic_id=12889
Sep 19th, 2009, 11:21 AM

[Seattle] ~ Outside of Seattle is what they refer *cough* to Woodinville's Wine Country ~ lots of places for wine tasting basically. The vines themselves are over in Eastern Washington.

http://www.woodinvillewinecountry.com/VisitorInfo.cfm

If the weathers great ~ there's the Ste Michelle Winery. Each summer they have outside concerts within the grounds where you can have a picnic and drink wine! You don't have to restrict yourself having a picnic there only on concert days. Also, if you're lucky you can watch the balloons go by.

http://www.ste-michelle.com/
Sep 19th, 2009, 11:38 AM

If you are into outdoorsy stuff, you might consider a "CirclePac" trip with BC ferries. It takes you from Vancouver - Victoria and then you can travel up Vancouver Island and visit all the wonderful wineries along the way (there's also an excellent cidery called Merridale in Cowichan - it's a fun place and yummy!). LOTS of hiking on Vancouver Island. If you have time to visit Cathedral Grove, which is on the way out to the West Coast of Vancouver Island, it is beautiful. I do believe it's a self-tour, though, but not sure. The Horne lake Caves are also worth seeing. You can go on a guided tour here. There are also bear and whale watching tours on the West Coast in Tofino, and also on the East Coast of Vancouver Island in Campbell River (check out Stubbs). Once done with Vancouver Island, you take the ferry from Comox - Powell River. Again, there is some excellent hiking in Powell River (Sunshine Coast Trail), and very close. Don't have to drive through traffic to get to the back country. Fabulous scenery in Lund & Desolation Sound (check out Terracentric Adventures). Once done in Powell River, you take the ferry down to the Lower Sunshine Coast. Lots of great artists, and some good nature viewing areas (check out Skookumchuk Rapids). Lots of options! Check out the website below for CirclePac info:
http://www.bcferries.com/travel_planning/circlepac/