West Edmonton Mall help needed.....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to go to Edmonton this summer and take in The Mall. We are amusement park junkies, so we'll be there more than one day.

What else will there be to do and see in July in Edmonton? Or in the mall?

How many days do you recommend us staying?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 09:58 PM

If you are coming to Edmonton during the last two weeks in July, you will be there during Klondike Days. This is Edmonton's summer festival with a midway and several associated events. There are always several events and festivals happening in Edmonton in July. You may want to visit Fort Edmonton Park to experience some of Edmonton's history. The Royal Alberta Museum and the Science Center are also good for a visit. If you are here for awhile, you might want to spend a couple of days in Jasper (about 3 hours away). As for the Mall, the biggest attraction aside from Galaxyland is the Waterpark. There are also many smaller attractions and activities (not to mention the shopping)that could keep you busy for a couple of days. If you belong to CAA/AAA you can purchase passes for Galaxyland and the Waterpark for much less than regular price at local CAA offices.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 06:27 AM

There are festivals in Edmonton all summer long. What are your dates?

Where are you coming from? Are you driving or flying into town? This would affect recommendations on how long you should stay, and what might interest you.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 07:35 AM

Edmonton has festivals all summer long, starting in June and ending in September.
Depending on when you will be here in July, you can take in the end of the ArtWorks festival, the Canada Day events, Street Performer's Festival, Taste of Edmonton (food), & the stale Klondike Days (the "fair" with its midway rides etc.).

Be sure to visit Old Strathcona, the area on Whyte Ave with its coffee shops, restaurants, and unique shops.

If the weather is good (and is usually is in July - by that I mean sunny and warm) - rent a bike and cycle the picturesque river valley trails.

We have very long days in July - approximately 17 hours of sunshine per day!! - so you can get a lot of sightseeing done in that time!! I would think that if you plan to spend a couple of days in WEM (West Edmonton Mall), add another day or two to visit other parts of the city.

Enjoy!!!
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far.

We are planning to be there starting the second week of July.

Would you recommend us staying around the mall or someplace else? We like B&B's, but we will have our daughter.

Any recommendations?
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 05:08 AM

Personally, I would rent a car while in Edmonton, as, while it is possible to use public transport, it will be far easier to move about by car. Given this, I think that staying at the Mall would be a great idea. There is always something to do at the mall in the evenings, from walking to going to a movie to mini-golf, to skating etc. so you won't be bored. And, all you have to do to is walk out of the hotel to get there! One other alternative, if this doesn't appeal to you, is to stay in Old Strathcona, where the pubs, restaurants, and other activities are. Again, you won't go wrong here.
If you go to www.fantasylandhotel.com, it details the kid-friendly services available, including a professional babysitting service, if you want to go out for dinner. How perfect is that!
Enjoy your visit!
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 06:32 AM

I found the festivals in Edmonton to be fun. The Mall is huge. Lots to see there.

I suggest a car. Except at rush hour, I found Edmonton fairly easy to drive. You will need a good street map, but those are easily found.

The good people at Travel Alberta will provide you with all kinds of good information.

Just outside of Edmonton to the east is a town called Androssen. Near there is the Ukranian Heritage Village, which is a recreation with authentic buildings of a Ukranian farm community.

I found it to be fascinating. We were here on a day when musicians of Ukranian heritage were performing. There was plenty of good food and some darn good music.

The stores, the churches, the jail, and the grain elevator are staffed by actors in costume playing the roles of people who lived in the first half of the last century.

I got amused at the actor in the hardware store. He unfortunately did not know about nails. So when I started asking questions about the price of 10 penny nails, he though I meant a dime per nail. Sort of amusing.

The guy in the blacksmith shop was watching the men working the wheat thrasher and hay baler. The wheat was wet and kept clogging up the machine.
Someone asked the "blacksmith" why he did not go out and help. His response:
"We don't work on Sunday."
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 07:12 PM

Hi Magnum,

You may remember me from the Kentucky Derby suggestions last spring.

It just so happens that I've been to Edmonton a couple of times too.

(you could always spend a day or evening at "Northlands Park" while you're up there)

Before I forget, there is a game reserve or something that is 30-50 miles EAST of Edmonton that really is worth driving to and through.

We saw so many Bison up close and right outside of the car window... and I got the suggestion from a horse trainer, so how could it be wrong?

Also, the "Muttart Conservatory" is quite interesting and unique. Maybe you wouldn't go if it were somewhere in southern california, but to think of all of those plants surviving through the harsh northern winter makes you a bit more interested than you would have been. (even though it is mostly indoors)

I also liked the shops in "Old Strathcona" (I believe is the small community's name).

The MALL itself is out-of-this-world fascinating, and I suggest that you and all travel partners each have keys to your automobile. I separated from my companion at about noon at the mall, and we didn't find one another until 4pm... but each of us had gone back and forth to the car just in case.

Set a rendezvous spot in the mall, (if you're not staying at an adjacent hotel, that is) and tell your travel companion(s) that you'll meet THERE at a certain time no matter what.

Downtown Edmonton doesn't exactly beckon passers-by as might cities in less hostile climates. This means only that if you go there, you will have to push yourself out of the car to explore and turn-up the interesting spots. There isn't as much outdoor signage to lure pedestrians as might be the case in most cities.

The weather won't trouble you at all in late June, July, or most of August... but by August 29 one year, we were already feeling chilling fall winds the likes of which we didn't want to feel at home anytime soon.

All in all, I loved Edmonton and if I could select just when to go there, I think I might go in late June because it stays light out for so very long.

I could probably say more but I need inspiration from you in terms of what you'd want to hear, answers-wise.

Nice to run across you here again!

Old Jan 29th, 2006, 10:47 AM

Just heard that "Klondike Days" are no more, and the summer fair with midway-type rides etc. is going to have a new name this summer. Should be interesting to see what they come up with!!

The "game reserve" that you mentioned Northwestmale is actually a national park - Elk Island National Park is a 40 to 50 minute drive east of the city of Edmonton, and has landscape typical of the aspen parkland (transition zone between the prairie and the boreal forest), plus it has two different types of buffalo roaming around.

magnumholmes - if you like B&Bs, you might like to try Glenora Inn B&B - it's fairly close to the downtown area and is only a 15 to 20 minute drive away from WEM (West Edmonton Mall) - here's their website:

http://www.glenorabnb.com/

As for the weather - all bets are off!! We are currently experiencing the mildest winter ever!! It's January, but there is almost no snow, and the daytime temps have been going above freezing most days this month. If this continues by July we might be in for a tropical heat wave!!!
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 09:04 AM
ltt

staying at the mall is definitly the most convenient as if one person gets bored or overwhelmed with the mall, they can easily return to their room. not sure how old your kid is but great for afternoon naps too. however, the rooms are expensive. there are a few other hotels in the area.
the glenora b&b is in a great location.
the midway at klondike days (or whatever they call it) is fun for a day. the taste of edmonton downtown is fun for a night or two. you can taste samples from various restaurants and there is usually a band playing in the beer tent.
july is very busy and fun in edmonton.