Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would you stick w/ early July or change things? (Canadian Rockies question...AB & BC)

Search

Would you stick w/ early July or change things? (Canadian Rockies question...AB & BC)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We currently are booked at a lodging in the Rockies which probably won't be able to switch our dates for us...have a strict policy. But...workwise, it might be better for us to change our travel dates to later. (altho' work always keeps changing things!) :-{

We've been to the Banff, Jasper & Yoho 2x now...once in early to mid-Sept....and once the first 2 weeks of October. (Kootenay only once, as a drive-through, pretty much)

When this lodging had an opening in early July...I took it, since I figured that might be the most 'different' anyway, from when we've previously been to this gorgeous corner of the world! (and one just never has much choice when it comes to these 'backcountry' lodgings)

But, now I'm having doubts. Could anyone fill me in on the kind of Spring you've been having up there? (Locals, anyone?);-)
I think the winter was fairly low on snow??
(at least it was in WA/OR)

Do I need to fear that the trails might still be too snowy...or so muddy, to be hard to explore? I realize Lake Louise would probably be melted by then, but what about trails up to the teahouses? (I so enjoy those trails!) And, we've never done the Beehive, part, something to do this time perhaps.

Also, wildflowers? Too early, the first 2 weeks in July, do you think? Better when?
I'd love to see them, as we've never had that experience while in the Canadian Rockies...only while visiting Olympic & Ranier once & that was sooo wonderful.

Lastly, from posts here, I thought perhaps the lakes would be *more* turquoise earlier in the season. But, then, in a book I was reading last night...they almost said the opposite. :-\ I wonder which is the case...?

We *do* love the glacial colours...
and would love more snow on the mtn tops vs. less...
so in that case...is early July not that bad of a choice? (vs. later?)
Or, would you choose a different range of dates? (last half of July or August some time?)

Sorry for such a long note. I'm just NOW getting around to planning the rest of our trip, aside from this backcountry lodge...and before securing other inns, would *love* your advice/input for this year, especially.

I know no one can really 'predict' the weather...I tried looking on weather underground...recommended here & I got virtually the same results for rain & temps the WHOLE summer!! ;-) (no matter what dates picked) So...I'm not sure I can ever guess which period would have the least rain. (but would welcome your thoughts)

Just want to make this time another special visit to this most fair corner of the world!!
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Oooo...one more thing...(ok...maybe more!) ;-)

We'll be driving all the way from Calif...so have a LOT of decisions still to make on what all to include this time around. (What to explore outside of the parks vs. further exploration w/in the parks.) We'll have about 2 weeks plus a few days. But, the drive itself will easily eat up 5-6 days. (there & back)

Places I'd love opinions on...whether you recommend them, or not are:
Nelson area
Valhalla?
Wells Grey or
Peter Lougheed Park
OR would you mostly stick to the main parks, despite having been there twice??

We have so many options for the drive...that could be a whole separate thread!! (1st visit we flew. 2 years ago we drove due to a health reason, like this year.)

I do think we'd like to go before Sept...despite that often being *great* weather, since we've been there twice near that time. Just thought something 'different' would be nice. June would have been great for the smaller crowds (like our Fall visits), but wasn't an option for us.

I'm wondering if the crowds might be a bit more tame 1st half of July than later? 'Course prices are much more expensive vs. in Sept/Oct (a downside, to be sure) but it's just something we'll have to take into account.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 05:50 PM

>>>Could anyone fill me in on the kind of Spring you've been having up there?<<<

We had a mild spring.

>>>I think the winter was fairly low on snow??<<<

Yes.

>>>Do I need to fear that the trails might still be too snowy...or so muddy, to be hard to explore? I realize Lake Louise would probably be melted by then, but what about trails up to the teahouses?<<<

There are some trails that are not at their best till the middle of July. However, many trails are in good shape by the beginning of July. I've had good hikes in the Lake Louise area at the beginning of July.

>>>Also, wildflowers? Too early, the first 2 weeks in July, do you think? Better when?<<<

You'd have a better chance of seeing the wildflowers at their best in the middle of July, but you should see some flowers even at the beginning of July.

>>>Lastly, from posts here, I thought perhaps the lakes would be *more* turquoise earlier in the season.<<<

I can't imagine where you saw that. No, it has not been my experience that the lakes have be more turquoise earlier in the season.

>>>We *do* love the glacial colours... and would love more snow on the mtn tops vs. less... so in that case... is early July not that bad of a choice? (vs. later?)<<<

Early July is not that bad of a choice.

>>>Or, would you choose a different range of dates? (last half of July or August some time?)<<<

Golly, WanderingRose, you really are beating yourself up about this. I have experienced a snowfall in the Rockies in every month of the year (but not all in the same year). Heck, I've witnessed snow in <b>Calgary</b> in every month but July (and I know people who have seen it in July as well). However, in terms of snow that sticks around in the mountains, that coverage will tend to dwindle the further into the summer you get. So, from that point of view, early July is better than late July and early August.

&gt;&gt;&gt;I'm not sure I can ever guess which period would have the least rain. (but would welcome your thoughts)&lt;&lt;&lt;

You and I are in the same boat.

&gt;&gt;&gt;Places I'd love opinions on...whether you recommend them, or not are:
Nelson area
Valhalla?
Wells Grey or
Peter Lougheed Park
OR would you mostly stick to the main parks, despite having been there twice??&lt;&lt;

If you've already seen the four contiguous mountain national parks, I think there is a lot of merit in including a provincial park and an area that is outside of the national parks on this trip. I personally like a balance between the national parks and the areas outside of them. Beautiful as the national parks are, I like to visit towns where &quot;real people&quot; live, if you know what I mean.

However, I think you will be crowding your vacation too much if you try to fit in Nelson <b>and</b> Valhalla <b>and</b> Wells Gray <b>and</b> Kananaskis Country as well as some of the national parks. I think it would be better to choose just one of the areas outside of the national parks.

I think the Valhalla / Nelson area would work well as a supplement to the national parks.

&gt;&gt;&gt;I'm wondering if the crowds might be a bit more tame 1st half of July than later?&lt;&lt;&lt;

No, the tourist season really heats up on the 1st of July, which is a public holiday in Canada. Things stay busy through August. They taper off a <b>bit</b> towards the end of August. There is another swell of tourists over the Labour Day long weekend at the beginning of September. Then things start to quiten down, although in recent years I've noticed that September and October have been busier than they used to be. I put it down to the number of baby boomers who have become empty nesters and are free to travel in the fall.

Since you've secured accommodation that is hard to find at the beginning of July, I would just build a vacation around that if I were you.

Hope that helps.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 08:46 PM

WanderingRose - we've had such a mild and early spring this year - trees leafing out three weeks earlier than last year, for example - that I wouldn't be surprised if the wildflowers were in full boom by mid-June.
And . . . . I have heard that Lake Louise is already fully melted, so you shouldn't have any problems with the wonderful turquoise colours.

We've stayed in Banff/Lake Louise in mid-June in years when the spring was late, and it was gorgeous even then, and the lake was completely melted. (Too bad I can't e-mail you my &quot;wallpaper&quot; - photos that I took in the Rockies in mid-June - with the fresh soft &quot;new&quot; green of spring - lovely scenery!!).
For up-to-the-minute trail information, go to the visitor information centres in both Banff and Jasper (well marked and on the main street in each town). The trails should be fine, although it is not just snow that can leave them muddy - rain can have the same effect.

The long term weather forecast for this summer is for higher than normal temperatures and lower than normal (or near normal) precipitation. A hot spell can hit anytime now (&quot;hot&quot; meaning temperatures higher than 27C or 28C, which translates to 81F and 83F), and July is a prime hot weather month.
The advantage of July over late August or September is the snow melting at very high elevations swells the creeks and rivers with water, which results in more dramatic waterfalls and turbulent river flow (picturesque). By mid-August it is much drier.

By all means go at the beginning of July - you'll love it!!
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Judy &amp; Borealis,
Thank you both *so* very much for sharing your insight, thoughts &amp; experience w/the Rockies in early summer!! You've brought some much-needed calming of my nerves. ;-)

It sounds like maybe we should just leave the main booking as it stands &amp; get cracking on trying to find lodging for the rest of the time!

Altho' I'm a bit concerned about work, on the other hand, I had to cancel a much-needed 2-week trip last autumn to Vancouver Island due to my elderly mom having a bad fall.
So...
it may be time for us to escape for some rejuvenation. (even if work would prefer another time)

And, as far as the weather during that time period, I do realize it's always a big question mark. We'll just hope for the best.

Since we're driving from the south...I like your idea of perhaps just adding in one non-national park area...
anything more we really don't have time for. I'll look into Nelson &amp; Valhalla. Will research here.

Thank you again so very much for your time &amp; sharing your terrific wisdom of the area, you two!
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 01:32 PM

Oh thank you very much WanderingRose quot;&gt; always glad to help as much as possible!! And it's easy because we love this part of the world so much.

As for a non-National Park area, Peter Lougheed Park and the Kananaskis area is lovely too. Judy can help you there; it's been a few years since we were in Kananaskis last. Note that this is a Rocky Mountain park too, although provincial and not national.

Wells Gray is a bit of a drive from Banff, and if you are going that far west of the Rockies, I might suggest doing something a bit different and going to the Okanagan. This is a very long lake in the interior of B.C., it is probably the hottest area of Canada in the summertime, lots of fruit trees and wineries, sometimes locally called the &quot;Napa Valley of the North&quot;. The main city on the lake is Kelowna, but you can drive further south to Penticton and Osoyoos (just on the B.C. - Washington state border). Lake Okanagan and Skaha Lake (Penticton) have some very nice sandy beaches. Take a look at the information at these websites:

http://www.okanagan-bc.com/
http://www.thompsonokanagan.com/
http://www.okanagan.com/

If you prefer a more of a mountain lake, you could go to the Shuswap area. I believe that you can even rent houseboats there (although I'm not certain). Check out this website:

http://www.shuswap.bc.ca/

Nelson has never appealed to me as a holiday destination; perhaps someone else can comment.

Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 01:43 PM

In my opinion Peter Lougheed IS a main park. I gives a view of the same Rockies that you find around Banff townsite.

Just because the term &quot;provincial&quot; is in the name of Peter Lougheed Park, don't discount it at all! It is administered by the government of Alberta, and I find it to be a wonderful place. I have reservations at a lodge near the park boundary for August, and it is my intent to enjoy it as much as I can!

Also, if you are concerned about &quot;the same parks&quot; have you factored Kooteney, Yoho, and Glacier into your thinking?

Glacier is a park famous for its steep mountain trails that really tax the legs. It does not have many side roads to help you enjoy the park. The main road of course is the Trans Canada which traverses the Selkirks at Rogers Pass.
Some of the peaks in that range are jagged as can be -- smooth rock faces.

Yoho is absolutely marvelous, but you have to get out on the trails to really see it. Kooteney is the same way.
But Jasper and Banff save some of their best stuff for hikers as well. (E.g. the Ramparts.)
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Borealis.

Definitely more food for thought &amp; much to ponder later this evening as we pour over maps &amp; whatnot.

Have such a long drive from Nor Calif that it's a shame we can't do more, but will have to limit things.

We did see Glacier &amp; Waterton once, altho' ever so briefly for Waterton.
That's one other option, I suppose?
Perhaps just add in Waterton for a night or two, if time permits on our way back home. But...
I really *do* need to look at maps...don't have any here at work.

Best get back at it here... ;-)
was taking a little break &amp; saw your postings. Appreciate all your time!!

Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Bob...
So happy to find you posting here, as well! I'm feeling very fortunate to have this wonderful Board.
Have learned so much via reading threads to which you &amp; Judy &amp; Borealis have contributed in the past.

Yes, we'll definitely be allowing time for Yoho...we LOVE it,
altho' have hiked little of it. (other than 2 hikes near Emerald Lake &amp; up a tiny bit near Takk. Falls)

This time...we're most fortunate &amp; totally splurging, as it's at Lake O'hara that we managed to slip into a basic room spot for a few nights. So, that will be completely new to us...seeing (&amp; hiking) near Lake O'hara! It's a *big* splurge, to be sure...a big belated Anniversary gift we're giving ourselves. (and my bday will also be during this trip if we keep things as they stand)

Thus far, we have merely driven past Revelstoke &amp; Glacier, as we were always in such a rush timing-wise. That is definitely under consideration as well. I'm unaware of the Glacier hikes (BC's Glacier, I mean). I tried looking for a book you recommended on hiking but our library system does not have it, nor Amazon. I'm thinking of requesting a special 'interlibrary' loan...from some other state, or whatnot. (I work for a library)

However, I *have* heard that drive (Meadow to Sky?) can be nice at Revelstoke. All depends on whether the weather cooperates, too, of course.
(As we may be a tad early for the wildflowers...but, perhaps not.)

I'll look more into Peter L. Park...
I'm not sure driving-wise, what is best, as we're not coming through Calgary, but instead heading up from the Bay Area. It may lay more outside of where we're going. (as can Wells Gray all depending on the roads chosen)

Now, Nelson/Valhalla &amp; that...
seems a bit difficult to estimate driving times, as well, since there are ferries here &amp; there to take, too.
If one had unlimited time...sounds like an interesting area. But, again...we always have to keep our eye on the total # of days, we have.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts here, Bob!
All are most welcome!!

Ps. Have never hiked along the Icefields Pkwy, either. Perhaps a Bow Lake/Falls hike or Parker Ridge or similar could be interesting?! (We certainly still have plenty to discover in the main parks, too.)
May be too early &amp; slushy/muddy, however. I read something about that near Bow Lake, at least...
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 02:29 PM

I'm not sure that I understood your comments about the provincial vs. national parks Bob. WanderingRose had mentioned visiting a non-national park area in her post, and I just wanted to point out that Peter Lougheed/Kananaskis is a provincial park that is very much like the national parks Banff and Jasper.
It helps, when making choices and planning a trip, to know what is similar and what is different.
If you like variety on your trip than you should know that visiting Banff and then Kananaskis Country is more of the same, and you may want to consider other options.
If the prime purpose of your visit is to see as much of the Rockies as possible, and to hike a variety of trails, then visits to as many of the parks as possible, national or provincial, is the way to go.

By the way, Mt. Assiniboine Provincial Park which is in B.C., and &quot;squished&quot; in between Banff and Kootenay, has some spectacular trails. However, there is no road access to this park.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, again, Borealis for clarifying about the similarity in the parks. I would indeed prefer a bit of variety, if taking away any time from the 'big four' parks.

It's so tough to know whether we should just do our trip very similarly to last time...hoping that the variety in seasons &amp; doing new hikes will be enough of a 'change' to satisfy. (since we DO have such a very long drive...just don't want to feel like it's too, too much like last time)
The time we took this trip was very much dictated by the opening at Lake O'hara that came up last fall.
We drove to the Rockies in Fall of 2003.

So, I sometimes worry that it's almost too soon...mostly, due to the long drive...
but, then, before getting the booking...it felt like it would be too long before we could get back!! Human nature, I guess. ;-)

I think it's just that we had such perfect, autumn weather last time...that I fear it will be hard to come close to matching it. And, I'm not feeling as well physically as then, for various reasons, so am a bit bummed that I might not be able to tackle quite as many major hikes, etc.

Anyway, I so appreciate your help here. Since we just have 2 weeks to drive there &amp; back...trying to stick w/things as last time. (the main parks) Or, whether to remove one, like Jasper &amp; then, vary it up a bit by leaving by way of Waterton, for instance.

Or, we could include Jasper (dropping something else), but then, exit from there &amp; drive down the Yellowhead seeing Wells Gray. But, I have little info on that park. Just not sure how it stacks up against others.

Thanks for 'listening' as I try to piece this all together, quite late in the game. (Need to leave by late June to reach Lake O'hara in time for our early July reservation.) I just haven't been able to plan before now, as I wasn't sure if it could work at all for our jobs. (still am not sure, but think we'll go anyway)
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 04:44 PM

If you have reservations at Lake Ohara Lodge, definitely go----that is one of my dream trips
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 06:51 PM

We haven't ever visited Wells Grey Provincial Park, although we have driven past it many times on our way to the Okanagan or the west coast.

Here are some websites with information about the park:

http://www.wellsgray.ca/introduction.html

http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...kpgs/wells.htm