West Edmonton Mall....

Search

West Edmonton Mall....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
West Edmonton Mall....

We are wanting to go to Edmonton in July. For those who have been there, what is the West Edmonton Mall like? How many days should we plan? What other things are there worth doing? Etc.

Thanks
magnumholmes

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 09:43 PM

Seriously. May I ask why the West Edmonton Mall appeals to a tourist?

Is it written up as a destination somewhere?
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 10:01 PM

West Edmonton is a large (very long from end to end) shopping mall that also has attractions like an ice skating rink, a wave pool, an amusement park with rides for all ages, a seal (the marine mammal) show, mini-golf, a hotel, many movie theatres, lots of places to eat, and of course a large assortment of shops many of them carrying the same merchandise. The mall is over 25 years old and is getting "tired" looking in places.
Some people love the mall, others are bored by it. So I would say that whether you enjoy visiting or not depends on the types of things that you like to do.

Other than the mall, there are quite a few festivals going on in Edmonton in July, most of them in the downtown area. Check out this website for an overview (some of them will be sure to ongoing during your visit - Street Performers at the beginning of July, "the Works" at the beginning of July is an arts festival i.e. painting sculpture etc., Taste of Edmonton - food - is later in the month. . . ) -
http://www.festivalcity.ca/festivalcalendar/

Enjoy your stay in our fair city!!!
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:34 PM

The West Edmonton Mall remains the largest mall in the world, until 2009, when an even larger one is expected to be completed in Dubai.

It is so huge that it boggles the mind, and the things there beyond the ordinary shopping and food-courting are the greatest curiosities.

It is believed that the "world's largest parking lot" surrounds the mall, and some of the best advise we could give relates to taking extra care to recall how to find your car, AND ONE ANOTHER in the event you get separated at the mall. (it took 3 1/2 hours to do so, in my case, with no organized plan, nearly 20 years ago -- of course cell phones afford new hope now)

You might come away unimpressed if you go in there uninspired by ...just another shopping mall...

But it is a doozy compared to anything, and is considerably larger than "Mall of America" in Minneapolis area.

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

I have been to the Mall of America and that was huge. This is even bigger?

I just wish we would be able to go to a hockey game or a CFL game, but the Eskimos are out of town when we will be there.

It sounds like the mall will be a great experience.

Anybody know if the Sandman Motel is within walking distance of The Mall or not?

Thanks
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:14 PM

Well, I have visited the West Edmonton Mall. It is huge.

Take any three or four big American Malls and slap them together, sandwich a hotel in there with a pool, and you have WEM.

If bigger is better, then this one is the champ.

Sorry, but to me it was just another mall. Huge yes. Better, no.

I guess West Edmonton Mall has the same appeal as Mt. Everest because it is the highest mountain above sea level. K-2 is not quite as high, but as a mountain to climb, and return alive, it is a more formidable challenge that Everest. It is harder to get too, steeper to climb, and technically more difficult by at least one order of magnitude.

So I guess if you want big, then go to West Edmonton. On that score it will deliver.

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:11 PM

The Sandman Inn is not within walking distance. If you want to be close enough to walk to the Mall, about your only choices are the Fantasyland Hotel in the Mall and the West Edmonton Mall Inn across the street. The Inn is quite a bit cheaper than the Fantasyland Hotel, although there are benefits to staying in the Mall. There are some hotels in the city that provide transportation to the Mall.
There are a lot of entertainment options in the Mall (Waterpark, Amusement Park, Skating, Movies, Bourbon Street, Ed's Rec Room) that could keep you busy for a couple of days. However, as Borealis said there are so many other activities in Edmonton in July that you would enjoy. Besides the festivals, there is Fort Edmonton and the Royal Alberta Museum. I'm not sure if you're travelling with children - if so, the Waterpark and Galaxyland at the Mall would probably take up almost a full day in itself. If no children, you would probably skip some of these attractions and could see most things in the Mall in one day. Have fun.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 02:09 PM

I included a visit to the mall because I am an ex-retailer and was curious.

It is huge..complete with indoor water park and hockey rink. It was interesting to see because of its size and reputation.

To me it was more of an entertainment complex. I walked the entire mall and found most of the stores to be "basic, middle of the road". From a retailer's point of view...this is not a upscale, fashion oriented mall.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 02:11 PM

http://www.westedmall.com

Old Apr 28th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

Just how far away from West Edmonton Mall is the Sandman Hotel?

We are not afraid to walk a distance. We have walked the Volksmarch to Crazy Horse Monument and countless other things. So we're not afraid to walk.

Anybody know how far away it is?
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 02:05 PM

www.mapquest.com (hint) suggests 6.65 miles from the sandman to the mall.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 04:49 PM

Even if the distance was shorter than the 6.65 miles mentioned by "icthecat", I would not recommend walking.
Although Edmonton has beautiful walking paths through the woods and parks along the river valley which runs through the center of the city, the "suburban" areas around shopping malls and in most new areas are definitely not pedestrian friendly - too many cars, too many roads, not enough sidewalks.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 07:57 AM

While it is possible to walk to WEM from the Sandman, would you really want to walk the 6 miles there, walk all day at the mall and walk the 6 miles back? I was there yesterday and my feet were sore after a couple of hours.
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:22 PM

If a person is looking for some "special shopping experience" WEM is the same as any other mall except that it is larger & a lot more walking with a lot more people. I have done a lot of shopping there on many occasions but not for anything out of the ordinary.

The waterpark is a lot of fun,& its quite large. Around here you don't find a lot of outside waterparks (not enough nice weather) so I love the waterpark. Galaxyland is fun too, glow in the dark mini golf, there is a lot of fun things to do there with a family of kids.

If you are going to the waterpark I would say to spend 1/2 a day to a whole day there (depending on your love of waterslides, wave pools & such)If you want to do a lot of shopping (regular shopping) that would be about an afternoons worth if not more (depending on how much you want to do).

An example of what we did last summer as a little "holiday time" with the kids. We went to Galaxykland in the morning & then spent the afternoon at the waterpark. I think the evening before we were there for shopping?

Another thing that may be interesting to you is Fort Edmonton Park. It has various examples of streets from 1910-1950's (not sure). You will learn all about the fur trade & how Edmonton began etc. We took the kids on a steam train ride (about 5 minutes) but they loved it as we don't get much of an oppurtunity to ride the train much around here.