Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page > We may be getting closer...anyone hear of Strathcona Park Lodge?

We may be getting closer...anyone hear of Strathcona Park Lodge?

Sep 29th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

We may be getting closer...anyone hear of Strathcona Park Lodge?

This is exactly the kind of place I've been searching for - small, very family friendly, soft adventures for kids! But...

If I were to spend a week on Vancouver Island, is this the place to be? It's no Tofino - not even beach. We'll be coming a long way from Philly with four kids under 12. we don't want to keep travelling once we finally get there!

The link: http://www.strathcona.bc.ca/adventur...adventure.html

Thoughts?
Sep 30th, 2004, 08:56 AM

Outdoor adventure vacations aren't really my cup of tea, so I can't comment on the activities at Strathcona Lodge (obviously you know best what your family is after). The location looks fine. That part of Vancouver Island is not on the main tourist beat, so you will be getting away from it all. You'll be well placed to make day trips or to visit other parts of Vancouver Island after your stay at the Lodge. Will you be renting a car?

All in all, it looks fine to me.
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:44 AM

My dad teaches high school science and would take his students on week trips to Strathcona Park where they camped, canoed, rock climbed, etc. Always had a blast and the photos he'd bring back were amazing... it always looked beautiful.
Sep 30th, 2004, 01:11 PM

If it's a vacation in the *mountains* you want then go for it.
There are always mosquitos but it's not Northern Ontario
However driving by all that enticing water to end up in a somewhat claustrophobic (for me anyway) environment like that around SPL might be hard on the kids.
I admit to not being much of mountain lover-everything is so difficult of access.Lakes in the area are usually bone-chilling cold swimming even wading is often out of the question no matter what the pictures say.I've swum in a number of Northern VI lakes over the years after fishing the West Coast-I regret it almost every time.
Also Cougar attacks-the majority of which are committed against children- seem to have dropped off these past few years which is good news.
Your best bet is still a family resort around Parksville/Qualicum-all found in a safe secure and bucolic setting only a short drive from the Ferry.
Try
http://www.tigh-na-mara.com/families.htm
There are a number of others to be sure.
Sep 30th, 2004, 02:47 PM

www.vancouverisland.com has a lot of great information on all the parks, towns, and regions on Vancouver Island. They have a great accommodation section which will give you other ideas, if you're still looking around.
Sep 30th, 2004, 05:41 PM
BAK

Lisabees, do you have a map of British Columbia?

There's usually good maps of all the Canadian provinces at the back of Rand McNally and other road atlases you can buy at COSTCO and Wal-Mart and most book stores.

My map tells me this place is in the middle of nowwhere, quite a bit farther north than the road to Tofino.

I can't see any advangtage, travel-wise, to going that far north and then west, compared to going less-north and farther west.

Plus, Tofino is the most beautiful spot in Canada, and there's a million places in Canada where you are surrounded by rocks and trees, like 40 miles west of Campbell River.

So, go to Tofino and see the Pacific Ocean.

bAK
Sep 30th, 2004, 09:41 PM

My son went to Strathcona on his school year-end trip with his class. He said that the food was horrible, and his friends agreed. All the adults thought the food was great however-lots of vegetarian and salad offerings. They all ate in the cafeteria. There is a resturant but the food there did not appeal to my son either though I understand the adults said it was very good.

They did many activities such as kayaking, high ropes, rock climbing, a 12 km canoe ride for an overnight trip, nature hikes and feeezing cold swims. They did get eaten alive by mosquitoes on the overnight trip so I suggest you pack mosquito repellent. Make sure it has DEET. Strathcona has many great family activities. If you are looking for a mountains, I would not recommend this as the best choice, but nevertheless, it is great fun.
Oct 1st, 2004, 02:56 PM

BAK has an excellent point-2 hours driving to Campbell River and another hour west into the mountains to reach SPL.

The same amount of driving will put you in range of WCVI-a jewel of a place that beats the pants off SPL.
Oct 2nd, 2004, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

As always, thank you everyone for your thoughtful and detailed information! I knew that Strathcona shouldn't be the reason to go to Vancouver Island. I was just hoping - this place is exactly what we're looking for.

But cougar attacks? No thanks! LOL!

Lisa

Search this Thread