17 days around vancouver

Search

17 days around vancouver

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
17 days around vancouver

going on a fmily trip from ireland - mum, dad and 2 kids (14 & 18) arriving vancouver end of june. we are staying in vancouver for about one week but are trying to plan the remaining 9/10 days any suggestions? we will have a car but don't want to spend all our time travelling. whistler and banff have been recommended. we like the outdoors but wouldn't be keen on camping. would like to try some white water rafting and some eco friendly whale watching if such a thing exists. tks martina
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 06:34 AM

You'll have a wonderful time in and around Vancouver Martina! My husband and I went last fall and had only 10 days, not nearly enough!

My first and favorite suggestion would be to check out the Pacific Rim on Vancouver Island! We only spent two days in Ucluelet just south of Tofino at the Cabins. Shortly before we left home I did a search on Vancouver Island and booked 1 night there, we had the 10 nights already paid for in Vancouver in an apt. suite. Next time we go we will spend at least a week on the west coast of the Island.

BTW, Happy St. Patty's Day, my husband and I met on St. Patty's Day 10 years ago!

Have a wonderful trip and let us know if you will include the Island in your plans.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 06:49 AM

I would agree with the above. The Pacific Rim has lots of appeal. Definitely check out Hot Springs Cove (do a search on Google - there's lots of information - if you don't find anything, post and I'll find some links for you)and there's whale-watching there as well. Another possibility is Quadra Island, which is between the mainland and Vancouver Island; we went a few years ago and stayed at Tsa-Kwa-Luten Lodge; their website has links to some truly interesting boat excursions and nature-oriented day trips. Do post a trip report when you get back, and let us know what you did and how you liked it!
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 06:50 AM

Try this excellent site. It has info on just about everything:

www.vancouver.hm
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 04:51 PM

Martinaa: I'd definitely include a couple of days in Whistler for the hiking, biking, etc. I actually like Whistler better in the summer than the winter: fewer crowds, better prices. If your kids like to skateboard, it has a great park there. I'd also recommend Tofino/Ucluelet on Vancouver Island's west coast for the fabulous, wild beaches. If you do go, include a freighter ride down the Alberni Inlet (from the town of Port Alberni, en route to Pacific Rim Park) on the old "Lady Rose". Stunning country. Rent a room at the Sechart Lodge and sign up for a guided kayak trip in the Broken Island Group. Unbelievably beautiful; whales, sea lions, bears, eagles, etc. all within hailing distance. This area is an undiscovered treasure in B.C., and I highly recommend it. Too many wonderful things to do, I envy you. Have a great trip. Cheers, Linda
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 04:30 AM

You could certainly spend the rest of your vacation time on Vancouver Island. I would suggest going at least as far north as Campbell River where you could ferry over to Quadra Island and the Tsa-Kwa-Luten Lodge. (I'm thrilled to know that someone else on Fodors has stayed there, Meesthare you made my day!) You could drive up as far north as Port Hardy, although it's a rather nondescript tourist town at the end of highway. At the Port Alice Visitors Center, you can get a map of area logging roads which will take you off the beaten path into the heart of the island if you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle. You could also stop at Telegraph Cove and ferry over to Alert Bay for a look at a clear cut logging operation and a first people's site respectively.

You might consider ferrying into the US from Victoria to Port Angeles and touring Olympic National Park. The Pacific rainforest environment there is much different than the Canadian Rockies and much closer than Banff. The Mt. St Helens National Volcanic Monument is amazing if you'd like to continue farther southeast into Washington state. That volcanic eruption which occurred in the early 80's blew away about a quarter of the mountain and the destruction is still very evident.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 07:28 AM
JMM

A lovely area a ferry ride north of Vancouver is the Sechelt. Take a car ferry to Gibson's and drive north). Pender Harbour has the best sunsets.
A combination of driving and taking the ferries can get you as far north as Powell River. From there you can take the ferry to Vancouver Island.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

tks a million to everyone for the advice. before we decide on our itinerary i was also wondering if we should try to take in some of the rockies - see lake louise/jasper etc or am i being too ambitious given the time constraints. just reading the messages on the board has whetted my appetite. also has anyone stayed in the rosellen suites in vancouver. martina
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 08:11 AM

You would certainly enjoy seeing the Canadian Rockies which are similar in appearance to the Swiss Alps as opposed to the green "hills" of Ireland. I wouldn't recommend trying to do both Vancouver Island and the Canadian Rockies in your 9/10 day time frame, however, or you'll end up spending all of your time in the car. The Canadian highways are safe... wide and well paved in the mountain regions. You can make much better time than when driving the Dingle Peninsula, for example. I'd recommend going by way of Kamloops to Revelstroke where you will find an interesting Canadian Park Service site on railroad construction in this avalanche prone area. Continue on through Glacier and YoHo Nat'l Parks before reaching Banff. Be sure to allow enough time to drive up to Jasper where you can go out on the icefield. If time allows, you may want continue on to Calgary where the Calgary Stampede runs from July 9-18th. I would recommend making advanced accommodations at Banff, Jasper, and Calgary during the time of year you're traveling. Once you've decided on a specific area, you may want to repost for lodging recommendations.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

tks for your help - it is just so difficult to decide so much to see and so little time!! when we decide will repost for ideas on accomodation but if you have any good suggestions for a family group like ours in the towns you suggested i would be really glad to hear them. we generally go for a two bed suite with kitchen but that might not be on offer. tks again for all you help and suggestions. martina
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 07:22 AM

Martina, the Hotels tab on this webpage would be a good place to start looking for accommodations for your trip. Many of the properties are rated by former guests, which should be helpful. The Twa-Kwa-Luten Lodge on Quadra Island, which I do not believe is listed on the Fodors site, has several nice cabins with kitchen facilities and is located right on the water. You can check out this facility at www.capemudgeresort.bc.ca I might be able to provide you with a couple of other lodging suggestions if you decide to travel east of Vancouver but you will have to give me specific locations.

P.S. We keft for Ireland one year ago today and my husband and I certainly enjoyed your island's Irish hospitality. Hope that I can return the favor....
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

message retired teacher, tks again for your suggestions - just up to me now to make up my mind between vancouver island and the rockies. glad to hear you enjoyed your trip to ireland - at the moment the weather here is wet and windy (although i am in the north of the country) so hopefully you fared better last year. martina