NS in 3 days

Sep 28th, 2004, 01:39 AM
Original Poster

NS in 3 days

We are going to NS in 2 weeks for 3 or 4 days. What are the "must sees" for this short trip. We don't intend to stay any one place very long, but will drive where ever the prettiest parts are. We would like to know reasonably priced accommodations and good food.
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:36 AM

There is no way to cover all the must sees in 3 or 4 days, so it depends on your interests. Where are you driving in from and are you taking the Cat? If yes, that drops you off on the southern tip in Yarmouth, so you may want to go no further up than Lunenburg. Who is on this trip - any kids? How active/inactive do you want to be?

I just need a bit more information before recommending what the must see's are.
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:37 AM

Read the answers to this post asking about a 4-5 day trip to NS:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...9&tid=34403338

~Liz
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:38 AM

I should also add that I understand you won't stay in one place very long, but it is impossible to cover the "pretty" parts of the province with the short amount of time you are dedicating to this trip.

Do you have a copy of the Doers & Dreamers Guide? That is a good place to start and they are available free online.
Sep 28th, 2004, 07:45 AM

I agree that you need to add a few specifics as suggested above, including time of year, how arriving, special interests, etc. etc. NS is quite large and driving distances will pretty much dictate what you have time to see/do.
Oct 1st, 2004, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

We are taking the CAT (the last day it is in service), then driving back to Portland, where we will fly out. We have no children with us. We are 2 couples in our late 50's who are healthy, active, and energetic.
Oct 1st, 2004, 07:25 AM

Driving from Yarmouth back to Portland the shortest way is about 780 miles. Divided over 3 days, 250 a day, 5 hours just driving per day. Doesn't leave much time for "pretty", which is Cape Breton, to me.

~Liz
Oct 1st, 2004, 10:07 AM

Thanks for the added info, chhall. I've been to NS twice these past 2 summers (I have kids and must travel in the summer). I've heard that NS is particularly beautiful in the Fall. Mazey and elberko are correct about distances and travel times, though. The CAT places you in Yarmouth at the southern tip of the province. I think Cape Breton Island (CBI), located up at the north end, is just too far for a stay of 3-4 days (try to make it 4). But, NS is also beautiful all over, and you'll have a great trip without going to CBI and the number of visitors will be less given the time of year.
Here's my suggestion. Exit the CAT and head east along the Lighthouse Route along the southern coast up to Peggy's Cove and perhaps Lunenberg. Then, in the interior you'll find Kejimkujic Provincial Park, a small but fantastic and well-maintained park with beautiful flat water canoe routes (canoes can be rented by the hour or day), easy hiking trails, etc. (The forests of the NS interior will probably be ablaze with Fall colors). There's no cabins available in the park but I know a great place on the Mersy River just a couple of miles up the road if you want the info. On the other side is the Digby/Annapolis area, which also is beautiful.
Concentrating on the southern to mid areas of NS will give you more enjoyable sight-seeing time rather than driving like mad all the way up to CBI just to turn around and drive like mad to return via Maine.
Oct 1st, 2004, 10:12 AM

In re-reading my last post, I realize it might look like CBI is included in the 780 mile estimate. It's not.
Oct 2nd, 2004, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much--I will alter my idea of how much we can see. According to my AAA map, there is a ferry from Smiths Cove to Saint John, then it looks like it is between 200 and 300 miles back to Portland, an easy day drive in 1 day. Is that right?