Help with Nova Scotia itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Message: I have already posted this message on the Canada forum but figured I would try here also.We have about 15 days from June 26 to July 11th, We also have free airfare. We plan to fly into Halifax, and I don't have a clue as to how to break it up after that. Last year I spent a year planning our Alaska land trip and to tell you the truth, I don't have the drive to do that again. We would be traveling with our 2 kids ages 10 and 12 who are great travelers. Can anyone outline a general intinerary that will start and end in Halifax to make my life a little easier. A general outline would do. thanks.

Old Jan 8th, 2004, 10:00 PM

Rubigayle, 6 years ago we did a two week summer trip which included Quebec City, PEI and Nova Scotia. What I didn't realize was the long driving distances between these places. (This was before I started researching trips on the internet.) I also stupidly assumed we would find plenty of accomodations - NOT! We ended up frantically snatching cards off the bulletin boards every night at the visitor's centers and had to take what was left. One place sticks out in my mind: granny's bedroom with a lodsided bed and a crocheted toilet paper cover, and shared bathroom, no less. A good memory was driving over a bridge on a rocky coastline and stopping the car to listen to a lone bagpiper play his haunting strains for no one in particular. The Titanic Museum in Halifax is very interesting, as is the cemetary where many victims were buried. Research and reserve your accomodations well in advance and don't do too much driving so the kids won't get bored.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 11:08 PM

Hi Rubigale,
We did a two week trip of Nova Scotia in 2002, first of all do send for the 'Doers & Dreamers guide from the tourist board, its packed with info. and is free.
http://explore.gov.ns.ca/
We had three days in Halifax, theres loads to do including the maritime museum and the citidel, think both would be of interest to your children. From here we broke the journey to Cape Breton with one night at Sherbrooke to see the village a wonderful living history museum. We had four nights on cape breton staying at Baddeck, again loads to do, the Cabot Trail, boat trips & Louisbourg to mention a few. The only really long journey was from here to Halls Harbour on the Bay of Fundy, we liked it here for the quietness and scenery, so you might think it not suitable for your children though we did visit The Grand Pre and Annapolis Royal from here. We then drove to the south coast and stayed three nights in historic Lunenburg, plenty to do & see here also,I am sure your kids would enjoy the lobstermen boat trip if its still running. From here it was back to Halifax visiting Peggys Cove on the way. We prebooked all our accomodation and stayed in B&B's, the BBCanada web site is brilliant. Also you will be in Halifax when the International Tattoo is on, we did not go when we were there but it is supposed to be really good. If I can help any more, just ask, its a brilliant place and I certainly want to go back sometime.

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 04:17 AM

Should you end up near Truro, your kids would proably have a great time rafting the tidal bore, though Truro itself is of little interest {IMHO}.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 04:41 AM

I second rafting the tidal bore! Your kids will have a great time! Halifax airport is a little ways outside of Halifax, but an easy drive into the city. I have stayed at many Halifax Hotels, and like the Radisson Suite Hotel the best for location/value. You get a standard hotel room plus a sitting room for only a little more than a regular downtown Halifax hotel. Plus, the location is great - you are only 3-ish blocks from the waterfront and in walking distance to Spring Garden Road, Public Gardens, etc... You don't have to deal with parking. Halifax also has FRED (Free Ride Every Day), which is free transportation aroud the city to the tourist spots. Very convenient!

The places I would say you must see are Peggy's Cove (short drive from Halifax, your kids will love climbing all over the rocks), Lunenburg (south of Peggy's Cove), Cape Breton (spend a night or two up that way, drive the Cabot Trail, most scenic drive in NS, in my opinion) and PEI.

Definitely pick up a Doers and Dreamers guide, it will be your best resource.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 08:32 AM
wow

Hi, Ribigayle! I will try to get back here later today & sketch out an itinerary for you. In the meantime, you may want to go to your Home Page here, click on 'Destinations', go to Halifax & order your "Nova Scotia Doers' & Dreamers' Guide". That is the easiest way to start the ball rolling. The Guide is exceptionally well laid out & it may be all that you need. One other thing you can do today, if you have not already done it, is call & reserve your rental car (maybe a van?) for pickup @ the Halifax airport. For NS I like Avis.
Nova Scotia is a lot bigger geographically than most people realize! You want to be able to "see things, do things" & not spend your entire 15 days driving!!