Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Visiting Victoria in mid March to mid April - your thoughts on the weather?

Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've been discussing a possible home exchange in Victoria for mid March through mid April.

I checked the Weather Channel and it looks fairly rainy and cold then. We can handle a couple of days of rain and don't mind a jacket and sweater, but is it really as cold and rainy as the Weather Channel indicates?

Will we need to carry an umbrella everywhere we go and will we need a heavy coat and gloves? I admit, I get cold easily. I have adjusted to the relative warm California winters and I am not often walking around or taking a bus as we would plan to do in Victoria. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 03:38 PM

annetti: The weather can be quite un -predictable. Some springs are warm while others are cool and rainy. Even in summer the weather is "cooler" in Victoria for my liking. I live in the Okanagan of B.C and it's hot here for the summer.

What I do want to tell you is the weather won't matter while you are there. Victoria is beautiful and even when foggy and rainy it is still romantic. I love it. I wouldn't worry about it. You will have plenty to do. Wear layers and you'll be fine. I'm like you and get chilled easily but just dress warmly.

Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 05:10 PM

Hi, Annetti - as dearly as I love this part of the world, that time of year won't likely let you see it at its best. My sweetie says that the sun comes out on June 21st and doesn't go back behind the clouds until October - and he's very nearly right! Spring does come quite early here compared to Ontario, for example, where I'm from. I was enchanted to see blossoms on the trees here in March and April. But it's still chilly and can be very rainy. I think if you're used to California, you might not enjoy yourself as much as you would if you came in the summer, or even through September. Besides, there are so many neat things to do here in the summer.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Traveljunkie28 and Meesthare. Your answers sound so reasonable, even though at odds somewhat, so I'm still confused. My husband was weakening after reading Traveljunkie's answer saying, maybe it won't be so bad and then we read the second response which makes us undecided again.

Last summer we went to Argentina (their winter) after being told it would not be that cold, that it was similar to a California winter, and then, they had record low temps while we were there. We froze and were often quite uncomfortable, so I don't want to repeat that experience. I am thinking, maybe we should wait for an exchange later in the year which can be risky and mean no exchange in Victoria. Or at least try for May or June or September if we can't get the optimum summer months.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 09:17 PM

Annetti, if you have a choice, go for June or September rather than May. May could be lovely, or it could be like this year - rainy and a little chilly. It's totally unpredictable. We had friends from Toronto visiting 2 years ago in May and it was gorgeous; we ate lots of meals outside in the back yard and enjoyed the sunshine and gloriously warm days and cool nights. Last year it was warmish but very rainy. This year I was worried that spring would never come. The thing is that you just can't predict it, while from June through September it's a lot more consistent.
I agree with Traveljunkie that it's lovely here even in the rain, but if you've never been here, you want to see it when it's as lovely as it can get.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Hi Meesthare,

Right now we have a definite exchange offer for mid March through mid April with a remote chance of an exchange in June or September and two others that are just as iffy. With home exchange, one never knows whether to take the initial offer if it is not perfect or take a chance and hope that the perfect exchange will appear, but after this discussion, I think we will not accept and hope for the best. Thank you for your help and I hope I can ask for it again if we manage to arrange an exchange to Victoria.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 08:01 AM

Hi, Annetti - I can totally appreciate your dilemma. Of course by all means keep us all posted on your plans, and I'll be happy to provide whatever help or information I can. I'm sure others on this board will, as well. Honestly, if I were the one making the decision, I would hold out for a greater likelihood of nice weather.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you once again, Meesthare: We have opted to take our chances and declined the exchange offer in hopes of getting one sometime in June through September. It is still early by home exchange standards, so we will see what happens!
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 07:18 PM

annetti, right now we r going through a nice stretch of summer. i believe we have had only one day of rain, last friday , since june 22 when i flew home from toronto.
just back from durrance lake one of our local swimming holes 20 minutes from downtown v comfortable water temp
i am glad u r holding out for better weather as it is so glorious to b outdoors. do u'all bicycle if so there is a trail that runs from downton past sooke where meesthare lives for about 80 km
cheers
AndrewDavid
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, AndrewDavid. I hope we made the right decision to hold out for better weather months. Only time will tell if it was the right decision. Meanwhile, British Columbians must be enjoying the exceptionally beautiful weather this summer. I know I did. Enjoy the great weather. It is beautiful here in Southern California, too and except for the mild upset last week from the earthquake, it is pretty nice here, too!
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 08:04 AM

Just as an example of the kind of weather forecasting that happens here, today's Times-Colonist newspaper reports that Environment Canada is predicting a high of 30 degrees Celsius today in Victoria. However, the Weather Network (which supposedly relies on Environment Canada for at least some of its information) is predicting a high of 24. So they can't even agree when the weather is relatively stable as it is during the summer months!