Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

When you would you recommend a California trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2013, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are just beginning to think about our next holiday. It will almost certainly be to California, for three weeks and our last long haul trip.

We will be visiting friends for a final time, in Pasadena and Fallbrook, for a small part of the trip but will spend the bulk of the time touring and I am hoping we can see more of northern California on this trip. We will probably fly into San Francisco and out of San Diego, or vice versa, but nothing is yet decided about that.

We can travel any time of the year, though we'd prefer to avoid July and August. April was my first choice, but DH has to work at least two days early April, and then there is Easter.

So would you recommend a little earlier - March, a little later - May, or a lot later, say late September/October? November even?

All suggestions welcome. I'll no doubt be back with more detailed questions as we get our plans sorted.
Old Oct 31st, 2013, 12:55 PM
SAB

We have our best weather in Northern California in Sept/October, but the scenery is not at it's best because the landscape will be dry, i.e. dry yellow hillsides. If you want to see green hills, then May would be good. March and November can be iffy weather wise i.e. rain/colder.
Old Oct 31st, 2013, 01:15 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Some people's "yellow hillsides" are other's golden. I find the golden hills quite beautiful so don't let that stop you if it's a good time for you to come. Wildflowers in the spring are beautiful too but impossible to predict the timing. Early fall is my favorite season and most likely to be warm.
Old Oct 31st, 2013, 01:22 PM

San Diego County and Pasadena are usually pretty nice most of the year. April can be different. I remember unusually hot Aprils and freezing cold. Who knows?

March and April are often good months to see the deserts in bloom.

Northern California is the place to plan around but then you probably know that Fallbrook can be pretty chilly at certain times of year. Although it's a lovely part of the county.
Old Oct 31st, 2013, 01:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
May/early June or September/October.
Old Oct 31st, 2013, 01:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I too think the golden hills in Northern California are beautiful!
Old Oct 31st, 2013, 02:02 PM

Golden hills with oak trees are one of my favorite landscapes

At any rate though, I agree with the responses above about time to visit. May or September/October would be my choice. May will have green hills and wildflowers, but you might have some late rain and some chilly temperatures, especially if you head up to the mountains (Yosemite, etc.). The weather will probably be pretty nice though. The weather in September and October is almost universally good throughout the whole state. Sunny skies, warm on the coast and in the mountains, not nearly so hot in the inland valleys. If you are planning to visit Yosemite, the one negative about September/October is that the waterfalls aren't running. They will be running nicely in May though.
Old Oct 31st, 2013, 02:18 PM

If you're looking for the best weather (if your definition of good weather is warm, sunny and no rain), then plan for Sept/Oct. Most of the touristy places will not be that crowded anymore, either, since it's off-season. You didn't mention if your plans include going to the beach, but if they do, Sept/Oct is also when the water is at its warmest.
Old Oct 31st, 2013, 02:57 PM

This year October has been a PERFECT time to visit San Francisco. Fabulous weather (sunny almost every day, mostly high 60s-low 70s). You can't beat it.

I visited Yosemite last week, and it was ideal--warm sunny days, cold nights, peak time for fall leaves, and few tourists. (Though, as november moon says, almost no water in the falls.)
Old Oct 31st, 2013, 03:03 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
November_moon, golden hills with oak trees is exactly what I was "seeing" when I posted my response. All those years of driving through the foothills on the Peninsula must have had it's effect.
Old Oct 31st, 2013, 04:03 PM

Yes, hetismij2, The California Autumn Gold is almost as good as Norway's. Being from the east coast, it's one of our favorite times to visit California.

I can't give you as much detailed info as those who live there, but as your plans shape up hopefully, I can add a few comments.
Old Oct 31st, 2013, 04:21 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
And I prefer tne spring with green hills, rather than what I see as brown hills. Different opinions, none wrong.
Old Nov 1st, 2013, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your opinions, they are much appreciated.

We have never been to Yosemite . It is on the list to be investigated further, especially regarding accommodation and price.

Coming from somewhere so green we really don't mind seeing brown/gold hills. Seeing wild flowers would be wonderful too, but knowing my luck we'd time it all wrong and miss them by a week .

Lots to think about and ideas to mull over. Thanks again.
Old Nov 1st, 2013, 06:32 AM

October for most of northern California. A bit earlier if you go to RedwoodsNP
Old Nov 1st, 2013, 08:38 AM

It has now been scientifically proven after a multi-million dollar government funded study that 50% of people prefer to visit N. California in the Spring and 50% prefer to visit in the Fall.

Armed with that scientific information hetismij2, all you have to decide now is which you would prefer. Apples or oranges? ;-)

Whenever you go, go Highway 1 all the way. That's my advice.
Old Nov 1st, 2013, 08:45 AM

Sept/Oct were my favorite months living in California - I think the weather is perfect then..(southern Cal anyway - cannot speak for N. California).

What brings you to Fallbrook? Don't hear many people going there!
Old Nov 1st, 2013, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

We have friends in Fallbrook. They moved there from Pasadena, bought a beautiful home and boosted their pension with the change .
I really like Fallbrook, and it makes a good centre for trips too.
Old Nov 1st, 2013, 09:59 AM

You cannot go wrong with Sept/Oct - Sept is my favorite month for the beach in S. California...

Fallbrook is a great area- just don't hear much about it
Old Nov 1st, 2013, 02:27 PM

San Diego is generally very hot in Sept/Oct because we have the SantaAna winds that blow from the desert making it very hot and generally dry. It is generally very hot and I find it uncomfortable. But, it is perfect for the beach. And most tourists are gone so the traffic is less as well.

I love Dec thru April because it is generally sunny, cooler, blue skies with weather in the low 70's. In the winter and spring we seldom have the low lying fog and cloudy days we'll get May-July.
Old Nov 1st, 2013, 02:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
May or October. Sept can still be blazing hot in southern Cal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -