Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville?

Aug 3rd, 2008, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville?

I will be traveling with my husband and another couple to Toronto for the first time in mid October. We will be flying in and won't have a car. Looking for a reasonably priced hotel in a good location for restaurants and sights. The nearness of the subway to the Marriott B-Y sounds good and rooms are a great price right now. Any advice?
Aug 3rd, 2008, 03:15 PM

If that's the one on Bloor Street just east of Yonge, it's a great location. There's big construction going on across the road but I don't know if you'd be bothered by the noise. Maybe ask for a room on the north side of the hotel? Or call and ask about the noise first.
Aug 3rd, 2008, 06:38 PM

Also consider the Holiday Inn on King... they are converting in November to a Hyatt so much of the Hotel has been upgraded prior to the sale... It's in a great location and pricing is low now...
Aug 3rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Yes it's the one on Bloor and Yonge. Do you know if it'll be easy to get to sights around town or should we be closer to downtown?
Aug 3rd, 2008, 08:13 PM

You'll be right at the crossroads of the subways and in the Yorkville (think 5th Avenue) neighbourhood. The Danforth (Greek town) is to the east and the Annex (the university neighbourhood), the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum), and Queens Park and the parliament buildings are to the west. I would consider this location 'downtown' but you could easily walk farther downtown, even to the lakeshore if you really like to walk.

Are you looking to be near something specific?
Aug 3rd, 2008, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks goddesstogo. I'm not looking for anything specific. We're just spending a few days to get the feel of the city and enjoy all it has to offer. I think this location should fill the bill.

Aug 3rd, 2008, 08:28 PM

Well, October is a lovely time to visit. When you get here, pick up a copy of NOW, an entertainment newspaper that's free at just about every corner. It comes out on Thursdays or check it out at www.nowtoronto.com. There's a discount ticket booth at Dundas Square. Don't just stick to downtown -- explore the neighbourhoods a bit. It's a tremendously diverse ethnic city with tons to offer.
Aug 4th, 2008, 07:54 PM
BAK

If I won a really big lottery, I'd live within a few blocks of the Marriott at Bloor and Yonge.

For a decade I lived within a few blocks of the Holiday Inn on King, and still miss being in thet neighborhood.

Lots to do in either area, plus it is easy to get from one to the other.

BAK
Aug 5th, 2008, 12:32 PM
LJ

I would definitely go for the Marriot at Bloor and Yonge-you are in the thick of things with ALL options open for TTC (public transport) or walking in any direction.
Aug 5th, 2008, 05:47 PM

garyt22
Do you have any info on how to obtain those low rates at Holiday Inn? Checked the website, shows
about 200.00 night in November.
Checked Hyatt website to see what
would come up there, and no mention
of it. Plz advise.
Thanks/ Sherri
Aug 6th, 2008, 12:04 PM

I used the Auto club rate as well as being a member of the Priority Club... we got $163 CA plus taxes was under $200 and an upgrade to the Executive Level... I believe everyone that travels should join all of the free hotel clubs... you would be suprised at the hundreds of dollars in upgrades and free stuff it brings....
Aug 6th, 2008, 12:54 PM

I checked last night, and the best
rates she could come up with for
me was 206.00 and that included being priority club member.
WIll check some other properties
for the times we want to go mid
November for the Royal Fair. Thnks.