VICTORIA, British Columbia-THINGS TO DO

Mar 17th, 2004, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

VICTORIA, British Columbia-THINGS TO DO

Not getting many responses back on my previous post about Taxi's/Buses in Victoria, BC so let's try a new post. What would be some worthwhile things to do while in Victoria? We will have car and will be staying 3 nights. Planning to see Butchart Gardens, but need some other "off the beaten" path worthwhile places to see.... Thanks!!!
Mar 17th, 2004, 07:10 AM

I enjoyed Craigdarroch Castle - not really a castle but a very ornate mansion.
Interesting "arist street" near the harbour - at least it was there in the summer.
One of the hotels a few blocks up from the harbour has a nice jazz lounge (don't recall which one).
I'd also suggest the Royal BC Museum if you're interested in that sort of thing.
Mar 17th, 2004, 07:15 AM

Not exactly off the beaten path, but we found the Anne Hathaway house and English Inn an interesting place to visit. Very cool grounds and a great Sunday brunch at the Inn. Even for those not staying at the inn, it's still a worthwhile place to visit. Take a look at their image gallery here: (http://www.oldeenglandinn.com/).

Also very much like the Royal BC museum - especially the "town" on the (3rd?) floor. It was kind of creepy since you can hear the people but not see them, and I felt like I'd stepped into the "Twilight Zone".

Again, not off the beaten path, but the Butterfly Gardens and Crystal Gardens are both worthwhile.

Ken
Mar 17th, 2004, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Great and thanks for the feedback.
Will check these places out....
Mar 17th, 2004, 07:59 AM

If you like walking and want some lovely (panoramic) views of Victoria and the Olympic Mountains in Washington State (across the strait), visit Beacon Hill Park, and further to the north -Mount Douglas Park.

For strolling, there are some cute shops in the Oak Bay area (clothing, books, art supplies, kitchen gadgets, shoes, card & knick-knacks etc.), and also around the marina in Sidney ("up" the peninsula, north of Victoria city proper but not that far from Butchart Gardens).
Mar 17th, 2004, 05:32 PM

Take a day and drive "up Island" to the town of Chemainus. A lovely drive, culminating in a stop at one of the prettiest little towns.
Mar 17th, 2004, 09:55 PM

Visit Oak Bay and see the seals, and maybe take a boat ride around:

http://www.oakbaycam.com/

This is probably more for kids, but the Commonwealth Pool has a great waterslide.

Look for a free newspaper called Monday and look at what's going on - theatre, recitals, etc.

My daughter and I just have a great time relaxing when we go there - we never get much "done" but just enjoy being in Victoria.
Mar 18th, 2004, 01:18 AM

Continuing with Borealis' ideas, you can take the scenic waterfront route from Beacon Hill Park (Dallas Road) though the Uplands to Mount Doug. Mount Doug has a lookout on top that involves a bit of a climb. On your way to Sidney or Butchart's, continue along Cordova Bay Road and stop at Mattick's Farm where there are a few shops, tea room, icecream counter, etc., and a golf course. Returning to Victoria you could take the West Saanich Road route for variety. Take a map or you'll get lost, but the good thing about an island is that you can't get too lost.

Off the beaten path you could also take a short ferry ride to Sidney Spit from Sidney. Not much to do there other than have a picnic on the beach or walk the trails and maybe see some fallow deer but it's like a mini gulf-island experience.

Perhaps another day drive out to Hatley Park on Sooke Road. The lovely castle was built by the same family who had Craigdarroch built but, unlike Craigdaroch, the grounds are the main event. Below it you can drive along a road between the ocean and a bird sanctuary lagoon.