1 Day in Victoria

Search

1 Day in Victoria

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 Day in Victoria

I will be in Victoria for one day, arriving on the Pt Angeles ferry and returning that evening to the USA.

I want to get a flavor of the city. Any suggestions? I have diverse interests (though little interest in shopping).

I am also considering a trip to Butchart Gardens but am afraid that devoting so much time to one sight will deprive me of a general impression of Victoria.

Any thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 05:10 PM

We were in Victoria this past weekend. Both the Royal BC Museum and Art Gallery are very good. Just strolling the downtown / harbour area near the Provincial Lesgislature and Empress Hotel gives a good feel of this very attractive city.

The museum has an especially fine collection of Northwest coast native artifacts. Currently there is also an outstanding travelling exhibit of Egyptian antiquities from the British Musuem on display.

The Art Gallery is smaller but has a room dedicated to Canadian artist Emily Carr who created wonderful paintings of the BC landscapes and native villages.

Jerry
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 06:00 PM

I'd rethink skipping Butchart Gardens. We spent three days in Victoria a number of years ago. I remember trying to go to the big hotel for tea, but it was jam packed, mainly with a lot of screaming kids and big elderly tour groups so we skipped it. I also remember the town being pretty and interesting but don't remember too much about it. But what I do remember are those spectacular gardens. That is THE thing to see there in my humble opinion. I'd skip the rest to see them again.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 06:05 PM
BAK

Re>I want to get a flavor of the city. <

Flavor, you say? The go to Rogers Chocolates. It's right downtown, and has a black and white checked-tile entranceway.

Can't beat chocolate for flavor.

BAK
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 08:49 AM

Butchart Gardens are fabulous, but won't give you a flavor of Victoria. Strolling the harbor area and a few blocks of the city will be fun. The Royal BC museum is also great. Visit Thunderbird Park, located only a block or 2 off the harbor. Lots of old totems.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 08:54 PM

What time of year is this trip to take place and will you be taking the Coho ferry or the Victoria Express? It would be a shame to miss Butchart Gardens. If it was my trip, I would want to hightail out there straight away so the rest of the day could be devoted to poking around Victoria. (This may not be possible, however, if you plan to go by bus.) You don't need to spend hours and hours at the gardens.

A pleasant walk is around the harbour by Laurel Point. But since you might want to head into town first, you would then walk out from the ferry terminal and turn left onto Belleville St. At the intersection at Government St. you can see the parliament buildings, the Royal BC Museum and the Empress Hotel. Tour buses to Butchart's sit in front of the Empress; the city bus can be caught on Douglas St., a street behind. Try to fit in the museum, even if you have to race through. It's well worth it. Also, walk through the Empress Hotel.

The tourist route is straight up Government Street. That is where you will find Roger's Chocolates. On the other side of the street poke your head into Munro's Books even if you don't want to shop. Next to it is Murchies Tea. Small boxes of CBC Radio or Empress tea would make unique, light-weight, inexpensive souvenir gifts! Callebaut Chocolates (Broughton St.) and Purdy's Chocolates (The Bay mall) are also in the area, but who knows what you are allowed to take into the States these days. Carry on until you come to Chinatown and turn left up Fisgard Street. Pass by or go down Fan Tan Alley and continue to Wharf St. Heading back toward the harbour you can cross the street at some point (by the faded orca mural I think) and cut down to the waterfront below the Regent Hotel. There you can escape the shoppers and most of the panhandlers. Walk along the boardwalk/pathway past the float plane docks back to the Inner Harbour where you started. This should give a good overview of the town. If you have time, you could take a little harbour ferry.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 01:56 AM
Original Poster

April:

If you read this reply, can you tell me the fastest way to visit Butchart Gardens if not by bus? How much time will it take to see Butchart Gardens?

Thanks
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 10:18 AM

The fastest way would be to drive yourself or take a taxi. Cab fare would be about $30-40 each way though, I think. If you found out the bus schedule, maybe you could arrange to take a taxi there and then a bus back into town? (I would ask how long the bus takes. By car, the trip is about half an hour or so each way.)

I could probably get through the gardens in an hour quite comfortably. There is a cafe at the gardens if you wind up with some time to spare.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 10:46 AM

I just returned from visiting my parents there who live on the Inner Harbor...There are so many flowers everywhere, it is beautiful, I did not go to Butchart....The grayline double decker bus tours are nice, we did one in Vancouver and you can get off and on as you wish...The Royal BC Museum is amazing and won't take too much time...the history it illustrated is done so well..the Egyptian exhibit is great too, but you must buy tickets ahead of time..enjoy ! It is gorgeous...the ferry ride through the gulf islands is quite nice as well...
Old Sep 11th, 2004, 06:39 PM

For a "Victoria Tea" skip the Empress as it is way overpriced and if Butchart Gardens is on your list of to do things, have tea there as it is wonderful. If time is of the essence, stay in town and have your "tea" at Murchies up Government St.it won't be glamorous, but it will be yummy.
As for a one day visit to Victoria on time constraints, if Butchart Gardens isn't possible, just wander....up Government St., down Fisgard St. through Chinatown...but do visit the museum as it is not to be missed!! Also, even if I don't recommend tea there, you should just stroll through the Empress just to say you have been there. Have a wonderful visit no matter how short!!