Reload this Page >

One day in Victoria, what not to miss?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Just me

We have just one day to explore Victoria. What are the NOT to be missed sites? Any not to be missed restaurants, preferably MODERATE and on the water, with a kids menu?<BR><BR>Thanks for your help!

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 03:30 PM
Bob Brown

Butchart Gardens and the British Columbia Provincial museum are on my <BR>"Don't Miss" list from prior visits.<BR>

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 03:32 PM
gary

Except for Butchard Gardens which is a 'must see' most all of Victoria's best attractions are within a few blocks of the Inner Harbour. There are touristy things, (like the Undersea Gardens) and educational things, (like the Provincial Museum) and walking up and exploring the shops and restaurants on or near Government street.<BR><BR> One of the better 'family' type restaurants on the water would be Milestones right on the inner Haurbour at the foot of Government street.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 12:39 AM
Robyn

I would actually put the Royal Museum of British Columbia as a "must see" before the Butchart Gardens. That, in my opinion, is Victoria's genuine "must see".

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 03:26 AM
DS

After Butchart Gardens, I would recommend the Wax museum downtown as well as the Crystal Garden (tropical birds and animals)... quite amazing and must see. <BR><BR>Enjoy ur trip. <BR><BR>

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 05:10 AM
just me

<BR>Thanks for your replies, everyone!<BR><BR>We will be taking the Pt. Angelels ferry to and from Victoria, (the very first and last ferry) but it will still give us only about sevem hours there. Will that be enough time? We will NOT have a car. Then, should we buy public bus transportation or the other bus that I've read about here?<BR><BR>Thanks again!

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 11:38 AM
April

I too would put the museum at the top of the must do list.<BR><BR>Do you mean a bus to get to Butchart's? You don't have much time to be waiting around for buses. You can take a city bus from Douglas Street - they may only go once an hour at the best of times (Sundays might be less frequent), but I would check first at the bus depot just behind the Empress Hotel grounds and ask how often they go. They charge around $4 I think. The bus depot, by the way, is very close to the Inner Harbour where you'll dock, as is the museum.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 04:37 PM
gary

Even taking a taxi to Butvhard Gardens and back will take up at least 4 of your 7 hours so maybe that should wait for a second visit.<BR><BR>On the other hand if you really love gardens and you won't be this way again athen perhaps go to the gardens first thing and then use whatever time you have left for other touristy things.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 12:16 AM
rand

By 'other bus' I think you are referring to the Pacific Coach Lines which is often referenced for travel from / to Vancouver. They are the bus depot 'behind' the Empress. For a tour bus to the Buchart Gardens, look for the red double deckers in front of the Empress. You can see them from the Coho as it docks.<BR>Whether you want to spend half a day for Buchart is totally your choice.<BR>As to the wax museum, undersea gardens etc. not my choice, but they make millions per year, so they are other people's choice.<BR>As to restaurants, 'moderate and on the water' is a bit of an oxymoron. Your opinion of moderate could well be quite different from mine.