Victoria/4/29/what to wear?

Apr 20th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Victoria/4/29/what to wear?

I'm leaving for Victoria in a week with one small suitcase. I see it's 50+ and raining in Vancouver today. I'm wondering what to wear for the end of April weather. I've got the shoe part figured out. However, aside from light rainwear, will I need heavy sweaters, sunwear? Also, what do people wear to tea, or the Bengal Bar, or dinner at the Empress for instance? Are dressy black slacks acceptable, or should I bring a dress?
Apr 20th, 2004, 09:11 AM

Actually today it's 17 C and partly sunny, not cold at all. It rains a lot less here than in Vancouver. Formal attire is not required at the Empress. A heavy sweater would be too much at this time of the year but do come prepared for the odd shower. It's a wonderful place to visit.
Apr 20th, 2004, 05:50 PM

In a light-weight turtleneck and a blazer I was cold! It could be warm, it could be chilly, but I don't know that you'll need a heavy sweater unless you're from the tropics. Black pants (and a lot of money) will be suitable for tea at the Empress.
Apr 20th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Original Poster

So I'm not likely to need short sleeved shirts? I've been reading a lot of negative comments about tea at the Empress. My husband seems to think it's something we have to do. Has it really turned into an overwrought tourist hoopla? What about drinks at the Bengal Room -- is that any fun?
Apr 20th, 2004, 11:50 PM

Lots of people have enjoyed tea at the Empress. If your husband thinks he would enjoy it, and you don't mind the price, why not try it? I've never done it because I just didn't want to pay that much. But it's a small cost, no doubt, in respect to the total cost of your trip.

In respect to short-sleeved shirts, it's just hard to tell. It really depends on the very variable weather, and your own tolerance. I would no doubt wear short sleeves at the end of April during the day in many cases.
Apr 20th, 2004, 11:50 PM

But the possibility of wearing short sleeves certainly doesn't mean it is obligatory. I'm sure you will be comfortable in long sleeves.
Apr 21st, 2004, 04:54 AM

There are a lot of nicer (and cheaper) places to have tea than the Empress.
The White Heather Tea Room or the Blethering Place in Oak Bay; Butchart Gardens also has a great tea.
Apr 21st, 2004, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the quick responses. We live in AK and even had a small snow shower yesterday - what a late spring! I'm sure I'll feel warmer in Victoria than if I were traveling from Florida. Am SO looking forward to seeing some flowers. Haven't been there in 27 years and at that time couldn't afford the Butchart entrance fee.
Apr 21st, 2004, 02:28 PM

The Weather Network shows a temperature of 17 degrees C. right now with predicted highs reaching 25 degrees C. next week (I'll believe that when I see it). Some people have been walking around in shorts and sleeveless tops, but I haven't yet felt too warm in long sleeves.

I wouldn't say tea at The Empress is "overwrought tourist hoopla." I would just call it overpriced. Still, the atmosphere is special. If your husband doesn't want to feel that he is missing out on a Victoria classic and you don't mind paying $70 - $100 for two, then go for it. A seat by a window would be nice.

If you have time, on another day, you could have tea at the White Heather Tea Room in Oak Bay, in a noisy, much less impressive atmosphere but with really good food for around $30 for two.

Unfortunately, most of the late flowering trees, so spectacular this year, are finishing. You will certainly see flowers though. Tulips have been blooming for some time and lilacs are out all over.