Reload this Page >

Vancouver Hotels:Fairmont Waterfront vs. Wedgewood; Tofino Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:17 PM
Jane

I plan to visit Vancouver after a BC/ San Juan Islands walking trip at the end of next month, and am wondering about Vancouver hotels. I also have some other questions relating to my itinerary.<BR><BR>I will arrive in Vancouver late afternoon on August 4th and will depart early afternoon on August 6th. I reserved rooms for August 4-5 at both the Fairmont Waterfront (my room is supposed to have a harbor and/or mountain view) and the Wedgewood Hotel in Vancouver, and am trying to decide which to choose. I am leaning toward the Fairmont because of the views; this hotel was recommended to me (over the Pan Pacific) by the concierge at the Wickanninish Inn in Tofino, where I will be staying before I reach Vancouver. Can anyone provide info on these two Vancouver hotels? Is one quieter and nicer? <BR><BR>Since my Vancouver stay is brief, I hope to hit the high points. I will not have a car but would like to spend a fair amount of time in Stanley Park and care more about the outdoors and wildlife than shopping. I'd also like to visit the Sun Yat Sen garden, have a meal on the waterfront (for food, Asian or anything imaginative especially fish would be wonderful, with good wine; price is not as important as memorable!). I was thinking about eating at C, Diva or the restaurant in the Pan Pacific but commenters on this site seem to regard Raincity Grill and the Fish House in Stanley Park highly. May not have time to visit the museum at the Univ. of BC (?) but would like to, as I am interested in First Nations (and all) art. After checking other messages at this site, I believe I unfortunately will miss the fireworks at English Bay. <BR><BR>For the earlier part of my trip, I fly into Vancouver from the U.S. and am planning to take the bus from the Vancouver airport via the Tsawassen ferry to Victoria. Will stay 2 nights at Sooke Harbour House, 2 nights at Friday Harbor House in the San Juans (where my group walking trip begins; hope to sea kayak to see Orcas), 1 night at the Empress in Victoria (with visits to Butchart Gardens and the big museum near the Empress), 2 nights at the new Long Beach Lodge in Tofino (stopping at Cathedral Grove on the way in and visiting the hot springs by boat; the walking trip ends here) and then 2 nights at the Wick (visiting Pacific Rim Park and going whale watching again) before getting to Vancouver. Does anyone have any "can't miss" activities in Tofino?<BR><BR>I will have rental cars in both Sooke and Tofino. I would like to drive from Sooke up to Botanical Beach to see the tidepools. Does anyone have any tips about making that trip? How long it takes, where to park at Botanical, etc.(I plan to get a Canada card from my U.S. car insurance company.)<BR><BR>Also, I have to fly on North Vancouver Air from Tofino to Vancouver on August 4th and understand it can be foggy at that time of the summer. I am told by the airline that if it cannot take off due to weather, they will transport the passengers by van to Nanaimo and fly from there. Does anyone have any experience with this airline? Baggage weight limit is 30 lbs.; yikes!<BR><BR>This will be my first trip to these locations. I can't wait to leave HOT Washington, DC and enjoy Canada!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 07:14 PM
darlene

I would have to say I am very envious. You have planned an amazing trip - although very busy!! I would suggest the Fairmont Hotel - great walking path close, Stanley Park close, you could also take the Seabus over to North vancouver and explore Lonsdale Quay - markets, restaurants etc. for a short trip. Don't miss the wildlife on Davie and Denman Streets. You'll enjoy any of those restaurants. Be prepared for possible rain on the West Coast - the weather is very unpredictable up here - but won't ever get uncomfortably hot. A can't miss activity in Tofino is to sit at a waterfront restaurant patio, drink nice B.C. wine, and eat fresh dungeness crab while you watch the view and sunset. Take a ride up Radar Hill in the Provincial Park for amazing views (if the weather is clear). Hike down to Schooner Cove for calmer water to swim in., or hike the short "rainforest trail". The drive to Botanical Beach is nice and scenic 1 hour or so ride - but you may want to stop at French Beach for a walk or China Beach on the way.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 05:02 AM
Cindy

I can comment only on one part of your question: the Wedgewood Hotel. It doesn't have gorgeous views, because it's a smallish hotel on a downtown street, but it's a wonderful place. It will likely be quieter than the Fairmont. I would describe it as almost a European-style hotel, with a very helpful and attentive staff and an amazing restaurant. The rest of your trip sounds gloriously "outdoorsy" - this would be quite a change, but perhaps it would be a welcome one for a couple of nights.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 07:09 AM
gary

Jane, you certainly have done your homework and that's very good. As you may have noted there is a huge differance between the Fairmont Waterfront and the Wedgewood while both are excellant hotels. The Fairmont is a busy convention hotel with a suurb location for getting the feel of the most beautiful city in North America. The Wedgewood is a botique style smallish, (98 rooms), hotel in the virtual centre of Downtown. If shopping is high on your agenda the Wedgewood is better situated for it.<BR><BR>I don't think you've really left enough time for Vancover - 3 days are minimal especially considering all the things you want to do but if you keep moving you should be able to accomplish most of what you want. <BR><BR>The Raincity grill is excellant, (although the portions are small), and if you time it right you can watch the sun set over English bay, (around 8:45 to 9PM at that time of year). After your meal walk around the area and take in the stret life on Denman. If you're staying at the Wedgewood take an evening stroll along the seawall to Stanley Park.<BR><BR>Finally while the humidity is much lower than in the east, Vancouver can be quite warm in August so bring light clothing. Tofino on the other hand never gets really hot and even in summer can be chilly so plan accordingly.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Jane

Darlene, Cindy and Gary:<BR><BR>Thanks very much for your suggestions. Is the Fairmont Waterfront or the Wedgewood closer to Stanley Park? (I plan to walk.)<BR><BR>Darlene, am I correct in thinking that Radar Hill and Schooner Cove are in Tofino? And are the tidepools and scenery at French Beach or China Beach similar to those at Botanical? I can also explore closer to Sooke if that would be as fun. A waterfront sunset crab meal in Tofino sounds perfect -- do you recommend any particular restaurant? I am prepared for fog and rain in Tofino but am hoping it will clear a little over the four days I am there. Sounds like I had better pack fleece and Gore-Tex as well as light summer clothes. Is Jamie's Whaling Station the company to go with on a whale-watching or bear-watching trip? I am also thinking about arranging a nature trip with Bill McIntyre in Pacific Rim.<BR><BR>Cindy, I am still debating over the two Vancouver hotels and am drawn to the size, quiet and European atmosphere of the Wedgewood but thinking about those views at the Fairmont. (I stayed at the Fairmont in San Francisco and enjoyed it.)<BR><BR>Gary, I appreciate your tips about the Raincity Grill at sunset, and the varying weather. Is there a Chinese restaurant in Vancouver you would recommend for lunch? I regret the shortness of my stay in Vancouver but planned an extra day in Tofino, thinking that I may be more likely to revisit Vancouver in the future. (In fact, I am thinking about an Inside Passage nature cruise on a small ship with friends for next summer, with a departure from Vancouver; we tried this year but our schedules conflicted.) <BR><BR>I know my trip is ambitious but I want to see as much as I can and expect to do a lot of walking. I may just have to collapse at some point and peacefully contemplate my surroundings. With great anticipation, <BR><BR>Jane

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 11:51 AM
rita

Jane, while I have never stayed at the Fairmount Waterfront (the Sutton is my personal choice in downtown Vancouver) I have stayed at other Fairmount Hotels and loved them all. To answer your question the Waterfront is closer to Stanley Park.<BR><BR>However, you keep asking about the views from the room and it got me thinking . . . during the summer months when the cruise ships are docked at Canada Place (right across the street from the Waterfront) do the huge bulk of the ships cut down on the views? the Waterfront (from what I can remember) is not a tall hotel and some of those cruise ships are at least 12 stories high. I would hate for you to choose the Waterfront based on the view and then have to look at a monster cruise ship.<BR><BR>Can anyone answer the question?<BR><BR>

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 06:24 PM
Jane

Rita:<BR><BR>Thanks for raising a very good question about the view from the Fairmont Waterfront hotel in Vancouver. In response I called the hotel, which assured me that the room I have booked has a panoramic view of the inlet, harbor and mountains, that neither the Pan Pacific Hotel nor cruise ships will obstruct the view, and that I requested to be on the higher floors (the hotel is 23 floors high). So I am pretty confident that the room will have a wonderful view, and that I will be above the cruise ships. I appreciate your concern and am just about sold on staying at the Fairmont Waterfront. Thanks again.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Lynne

Hi Jane:<BR>Iwas at a cocktail party on the 5th<BR>floor at the Waterfront on Friday.<BR>There were lots of cruiseships heading<BR>out and they most certainly did not<BR>obstruct the view - unless you're on<BR>the bottom few floors you'd have no<BR>problem at all.<BR><BR>Your trip shoulds busy but great!<BR>A very West Coast place for lunch<BR>is Point-no-Point Tea Room - up <BR>from Sooke and down from Botanical<BR>Beach.<BR><BR>Your resto choices are all great -<BR>the Fish House in Stanley park<BR>is one of our favs. Lovely ambience.<BR>Great Chef!<BR><BR>If at all possible get to UBC's <BR>marvelous Museum of Anthropology -<BR>most definitely the 'best' museum<BR>in Van. (actually World class) and<BR>the Great Hall is breathtaking!<BR><BR>hope you have a memorable trip to<BR>our Neck of the Woods.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:04 PM
Jane

Hello, everyone!<BR><BR>Thanks to all of you who responded to my messages, providing valuable info. I depart this Fri. 7/26 and just can't wait to see this part of Canada. Getting out of the office and our 90 degree temperatures is a definite plus.. You all are most kind.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:14 PM
cindy

I'm just getting over Fodors withdrawal after being in BC for the past 3 weeks - I just got back a few hours ago! And I have a quick comment about Lynne's suggestion for having lunch at Point-No-Point. It certainly has been a great place in the past, but some friends of mine told me yesterday that they've been there recently and were quite disappointed. They said the food wasn't nearly up to the usual standard and the staff wasn't terribly pleasant. Considering that it's a bit of a distance from Victoria, I'd hate to see you go far out of your way with great expectations for something that's not quite as good as it should be - anyway, that's obviously second-hand information but I thought I'd pass it along anyway. Have a wonderful trip! I did!

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 06:48 AM
gary

jane, I hate to tell you this but the high today in Vancouver is forecast at 34C or around 94F. It's supposed to cool down to the low 20's this weekend and then heat up again.